Things I really thought about buying, but never did

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Digital Larry, May 5, 2019.

1. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Tele-Afflicted

Yes, this forum contributes a lot to GAS and many threads celebrate the recent acquisition. I've done that but as I've mentioned I'm on a reduction cycle and have sold a lot of things in the past year or two. At the moment I can't imagine buying another guitar.

Next I'm gonna talk about things I ALMOST bought, having REALLY THOUGHT a LOT about them, but then didn't. And boy am I glad! Something to be said for impulse reduction.

Boss RC-202 or RC-505 loop stations. I went to a 4-track looper on the iPad, Quantiloop. Not perfect, but really enjoying it so far. Way more flexible than the Digitech Jamman Stereo it replaced. Since I got the iPad as a gift from work last year, that helped a lot too.

Zoom and/or Tascam dedicated recorders. I have a like/hate relationship with my Windows DAW and thought maybe getting a dedicated recorder would bust through that somehow. The main thing I did in that regard was to get a Behringer XR-18 which lets me plug everything in at once and leave them on dedicated channels so I halfway know what I'm doing without moving a ton of cables around.

An oval-hole mandolin. I mostly play Celtic rather than bluegrass and the tone of an oval hole mando is supposedly better suited for that. I tried out an Eastman MD-504 and really thought about getting it, but I have not been playing much mandolin lately so I figured it would just sit there.

An Alesis electronic drum set. As it turns out I have had an old Ion non-MIDI set laying around for a number of years. I got a DDrum DDTI Trigger Interface and it works great! I was not a drummer and I'm not very good but this thing makes it possible to lay down drum parts, even one at a time, in such a way that I just COULD NOT do with step sequencers, piano rolls, drum loops, etc. I also just realized that you can make drum triggers for way cheaper than you can buy them with stuff from the hardware store. I'm tricking that out a bit now.

DonM and 2 Headed Goat like this.
  2. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Epi ES-339 PRO

It was close, but I ended up building a 335 and that held me off long enough for it to pass.

Everything else is still basically on the table. :lol:

Bones, 985plowboy and Digital Larry like this.
  3. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I nearly bought a Rivolta Combinata, but at the last minute I put my money back in my pocket.

The money eventually went to replacing the computer and interface for my studio, so holding off on the Rivolta turned out to be a good move.

- D

Digital Larry likes this.
  4. NewKid

NewKid Tele-Meister

Fender 57 Custom Champ. I finally got to try one at a Guitar Center after watching many videos about it.

I was surprised at how small it actually was and it felt like I was playing a toy. Now I usually prefer small things but the Champ’s size was a turn-off for me for some reason.

And for the same money I can buy a Fender Deluxe Reverb - that I also didn’t buy.

nojazzhere and Digital Larry like this.
  5. Mr Scallywag

Mr Scallywag Tele-Holic

The new MIM Fender Mustang line, specifically the Olive one. A lot of hankering there. Then I lucked into a CIJ '65 Mustang, which is about as good as they get, for about half of what it's worth. Now, it's a damn fine guitar, a lot of fun, I like the short scale, and the looks, and the pickups have a nice clarity, but I admire rather than love it. So I am going to sell it, make some money, and if a cheap Squier Mustang comes up, grab it. I like the concept of the guitar just not enough to spend a load of cash.

6. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

J Mascis JM - either one

richiek65 and Digital Larry like this.
  7. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

A Warren Haynes sig les paul and es335.
    I can't afford them now but could easily a few years back when the first used ones showed up. Also let a few early JMP heads and combos slide bye. They were cheap in comparison to todays prices. Nice Custom shop 58-59 les pauls were also half the price on the used market about 8 years ago. Seems like yesterday.

8. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Tele-Holic

I wish I could rewind to the time I almost kept my SG, but didn't. Knowing what I know today, you can bet the outcome would be different. Same with my old (and now traded off) Gibson 450 bass.

9. nosuch

nosuch Friend of Leo's

Fender American Elite Tele. Was tempted when they came out (Noiseless! Locking! Autumn Blaze!) but had just got an american standard as a christmas gift so my "modern telecaster needs" were satisfied.

Last edited: May 5, 2019
  10. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

about 3 years ago, I almost bought a triumph motorcycle. but I waited out the fever and it passed.

sean79, Digital Larry and nojazzhere like this.
  11. John Backlund

John Backlund Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I had the same fever, but I succumbed.
    IMG_20180814_064416795~2.jpg

12. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

oh, my...i'm not going to look.

Digital Larry and drf64 like this.
  13. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Love it, but How long of a ride can you have before that seat gets uncomfortable? I like cafe racers but I don’t think my butt would. :confused:

14. John Backlund

John Backlund Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

It's seating position isn't 'radical sportbike' like say, an R1, the low bars are positioned well above the top tripleclamp, and the pegs are rearward, but again, not as rearset as the more track oriented sportbikes.

The seat has never caused me any noticable discomfort so far, but granted, I haven't done any five hundred mile days on it either, but I can ride it one hundred miles at a sitting if I can travel at anything near highway/interstate speeds where the wind pressure takes all the load from my wrists. In my casual Black Hills wanderings, I'm not at all uncomfortable on it, and often feel quite the opposite.

Oh, and I'm neither young, or slim.

15. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

Oh, a bunch. Mostly guitars - a Cadillac Green MIJ Gretsch Jet is still calling, calling, calling me. But I think I won't. I think a USA G&L asat special plus one more amp (a vibrolux?) is IT for me for 12 months. Ha! There will still be Gretsch Jets for sale in 2020, right? And LP Jrs?

16. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Friend of Leo's

That’s just beautiful, hope your travels are free of incident.

John Backlund likes this.
  17. carpenter

carpenter TDPRI Member

Solid brass pick guard.Went with the chrome. Now they do not make them anymore.

18. d barham

d barham Tele-Meister

After my divorce nearly thirty years ago, I was able to squirrel away a little money. I seriously thought about flying to Australia and just knocking about til my money ran out. Wish I had.

Matt G and Digital Larry like this.
  19. denny

denny Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

There was a time, around 2004 or so that I decided I would get a Les Paul. I saved till I had about $2K to spend, and went looking. I was going to find THE LP guitar. I went to every music store in the DFW area, the big ones, the small ones, even made a list from the Yellow Pages phone book. I must have tried 30 - 40 guitars. But NOT ONE of them felt right. Then I thought I would try some Firebirds and Explorers. None of those I tried really moved me either. One day, at a small indy store, I pulled a Faded Special SG off the wall at the back corner of the store and fell in love. $600 and I had a sweet guitar with a baseball bat neck.

Guess I'm not a Les Paul kind of guy. Don't want one anymore.

nojazzhere and Digital Larry like this.
  20. sean79

sean79 Poster Extraordinaire

I thought about buying a ski boat, when my kids were younger. I figured it was too cold for too long up here (compared to where I grew up). Kids are all out of the house now, so I don’t see it happening. Still, a lot of people up here do have boats.

Just wanted to add... like John Backlund, I succumbed to the urge to buy a Triumph. Best bike I’ve owned.

boredguy6060 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.