Things I Learned Driving Cross Country

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by dented, Jun 12, 2021.

1. That Cal Webway

That Cal Webway Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Rode my bicycle across the US in 1973.
    Trip changed my life, at almost 19.

I didn't realize till I rode it that the states were in alphabetical order, from east to west...

2. NoTeleBob

NoTeleBob Tele-Afflicted

There are some long, radio free stretches out there. That's where you work on your vocals.

richiek65 and dented like this.
  3. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

in the Before Time, I would get into a rental car at a US airport and turn on the radio. It if was tuned to talk-radio my first instinct was to *blip-blip* lock the doors. There's crazy people out there!

dented and NoTeleBob like this.
  4. Riviera Daddy-O

Riviera Daddy-O TDPRI Member

Outstanding writing my friend that was a great story… If I could write that well I would tell the story of my cross country (and up into Canada) hitchhiking trip in 1972

Cheers and thank you very much for posting

5. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

I read all this and it only serves to support what I learned by driving solo across the lower 48 . We have become so soft . It wasn't that long ago that people walked aside of their Oxen powered wagons to make the very same journey . I won't go into the small things like road condition/s and dangers back then . Most of us couldn't fill those shoes even if we wanted to , but it never gets old to me .

P Thought, howardlo, David C and 3 others like this.
  6. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

It's doubtful we'll see any sort of majority doing it, but more or very basic exploring is a really big thing that's been growing. There are a lot of hiking and biking routes that are huge tours and waterway routes. There's the van life trend many are after but far from that an interest in road tripping. Camp sites booked months to years for a good example.

The "we have become so soft" you bring up is a real problem but I find it comforting to know it's not everyone and many are very strong in this world where just making a basic living doesn't do it as was the case generations ago.

A lot of the tough and adventurous things people are doing has organized events or is done in groups but maybe that's just a response to other institutions or activities falling off.

dented likes this.
  7. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

Or, even in the 70's and 80's, you took the tribe on a cross-country adventure in the Wagon Queen Family Truckster.

beyer160, bromdenlong, imwjl and 2 others like this.
  8. bumnote

bumnote Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

There's one thing to remember if you drive across America....whenever possible STAY OFF THE FREEWAYS.
    If you stay on I-40, for example...the scenery changes little (freeways are a path of least resistance), 80% of the food will be chains or restaurants geared towards travelers, chain hotels/motels, and the more interesting stuff requires leaving freeways usually.
    Hit the backroads and the people tend to be extremely friendly b/c strangers aren't exactly common, the food is better & cheaper, and the hotels are nicer & cheaper since they see fewer people.

The one thing you need is time...it will slow progress down significantly. If you have people with you, they need to the type that aren't in a hurry to arrive.

My last trip cross country was from DC Metro to the Texas Hill Country a couple of years ago, never drove down anything bigger than state highways...never got on the freeways. Visited Muscle Shoals, Muddy Water's (supposed) birthplace Rolling Forks, BB Kings' Museum in Indianola, Miss, Lightnin' Hopkins statue in Crockett, Texas...well it was a blues centric car trip.

Every American should be required to drive across country at least once in their lifetime. You'll never understand how big & diverse the country is without it...and just how many interesting places we've got off the beaten path. I guarantee wherever you live...it's not representative of most of "America". Hit the backroads & you'll discover just how different & diverse we are...and it's pretty freakin' cool trip too.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2021
  9. Telekarster

Telekarster Tele-Afflicted

Hey man! Glad to hear you made it! That must've been a heck of a ride. What does this statement mean? Are you saying your car battery actually fried going through the desert???

dented likes this.
  10. dented

dented Doctor of Teleocity

It actually had burnt fluid sneaking out from under the top at the seam. The battery was 1 1/2 years old with a 3 year warranty. It was 99-110 degrees for 6 1/2 hours straight. I traveled between 70-80mph. The AAA tech that came for the repair said they replace a lot more batteries in the high heat areas than the rest of the country with Arizona being the worst. Both batteries came from AAA. Previously I would put them in myself but found out batteries would never last their warranty limit. I never buy cheap batteries either. So I like that AAA comes to me and 20 minutes later I'm rolling for almost the same price. Then I don't have to return anything for a prorate or core charge or extra disposal fee, it's all in one. This time it cost me nada.

Telekarster likes this.
  11. Telekarster

Wow man.... Glad you didn't get stranded out there or something! I didn't know AAA sold batteries. I'll have to check that out.

dented likes this.
  12. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

You nailed it . Particularly the part about time . Everyone's in such a hurry these days and they miss so much because of it . I believe that my next trip to Tennessee just may be on Rt 15 .

richiek65, dented and bumnote like this.
  13. Telekarster

That's far out man. How long did it take you, and what was your start/stop points? Also, was it just a one way trip or did you have to actually travel back?

14. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

It sounds like you had a great trip Dented! Driving across the country is one thing I haven't done yet, I've got to do that.

The thing about Sirius is you can talk them down whenever they raise your prices. I have it in my truck and my motorhome, and every time I renew they want $250 for the year, and I call them and get on with customer retention and I get it down to $55. It's just a big game they play, and I tell them over and over they need to just give a decent price and not play these stupid games.

One reason I like to keep it rather than stream through my phone, and I have Amazon Prime as well, is often I'm in an area where there's no cell service. When I go out to Joshua Tree I can just listen to music or cable channels on the dash radio via satellite. Driving through those long stretches in the desert or forests where you have no cell service, you always have Sirius.

By the way the beach is beautiful today, though we're starting to warm up. I'm heading back down to the Julian area today in the motorhome, to spend a few days and do some hiking. I think by Tuesday it's going to be close to a 100, even though it's at four thousand feet.

But good luck on the home search, and keep enjoying your adventure!

dented and Wally like this.
  15. That Cal Webway

That Cal Webway Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

We started in Santa Monica, California and finished at the beach in Atlantic City, New Jersey.

It was a college group. About 15-20. A buddy and I took the Greyhound from Indiana to LA for the beginning. It was just one way.

From then on exercise has been an important part of my life.
    Absolutely a fascinating and invigorating and all superlatives to describe it!

Telekarster and dented like this.
  16. Grateful Ape

Grateful Ape Tele-Afflicted

Interesting. Prime alone costs almost that much in the UK...

Surely the scale of the US must be one of its greatest attributes. That and the diversity of scenery, culture and people.

dented likes this.
  17. dented

dented Doctor of Teleocity

I remember that I had to negotiate my rate every year with them. PITA....lol. But I do remember on a Jeep trip into the mountains east of Death Valley we were 15-20 miles off of any road and pretty remote. No cell service at all but the Sirius Xm kept working!!!

tap4154 likes this.
  18. Telekarster

Wow... that is really amazing man. Thanks for sharing your story! Sure wish I could've been there. I'll bet that was a trip of a lifetime!

dented likes this.
  19. johnny k

johnny k Poster Extraordinaire

Band vans break down. Often.

dented likes this.
  20. NC E30

NC E30 Tele-Meister

I understand the appeal, but one of the cool things while traveling is checking out the regional radio differences. It's getting harder since iheartmedia has purchased most of the stations out there and made them play the same stuff, but there are still a few locally owned ones around. It's much like when you are on the interstate and every exit has the same chains. Why travel if you aren't going to see anything different than you see at home. Regional differences are the beauty of travel to me.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.