Things I hate: 3497

Collin D Plonker

Tele-Afflicted
Then there is the one who tries to steal your thread. That happened when I was talking about my Gretsch County Gentleman.

Any love for the GCG? Best guitar ever, tight?

tanplastic

Friend of Leo's
Well, whether or not you believe anything that I say is of no consequence to me. Feel free to believe or disbelieve anything that I post.

Most of the people with whom I choose to interact willingly in real life are under thirty. My daughters and their many friends seem to be very fond of me, and it is not unusual for young people to stop by to visit me, even when my daughters aren’t with them.

And the reason that this is the one and only place that I “reach out” to others on the Internet is because I know perfectly well that a very large percentage of the others that hang out here understand what I’m trying so imperfectly to express, without the necessity of me having to continually restate everything from yet another perspective in an attempt to clarify my point.
Do you share with your daughters and friends that you believe they are "morons", that their generation is inferior to your generation?
At 59 years of age I am all too aware that those raised on the internet have a very different view of the world than I do.
As a kid I thought I was one of the best skateboarders in the world!
I believed our hometown lacrosse star was nearly invincible.
I thought my uncle's girlie magazines were about as taboo as you could get.
I thought I had a shot at Olympic-level volleyball when I was twelve though I am not tall.
A child today would have none of those illusions, a simple Google search would end that.
The youth I encounter are more informed, more compassionate about others outside of their little bubble, more hopeful for the future, and certainly less whiney that anybody my age.
From a young person's view, we scored great lives with plenty of good jobs that offered pensions, we have lots of money for toys like guitars, while they face much more challenging futures.
I would never suggest they are "immature" for dealing with a life we don't understand.

Steerforth

Friend of Leo's
Do you share with your daughters and friends that you believe they are "morons", that their generation is inferior to your generation?
At 59 years of age I am all too aware that those raised on the internet have a very different view of the world than I do.
As a kid I thought I was one of the best skateboarders in the world!
I believed our hometown lacrosse star was nearly invincible.
I thought my uncle's girlie magazines were about as taboo as you could get.
I thought I had a shot at Olympic-level volleyball when I was twelve though I am not tall.
A child today would have none of those illusions, a simple Google search would end that.
The youth I encounter are more informed, more compassionate about others outside of their little bubble, more hopeful for the future, and certainly less whiney that anybody my age.
From a young person's view, we scored great lives with plenty of good jobs that offered pensions, we have lots of money for toys like guitars, while they face much more challenging futures.
I would never suggest they are "immature" for dealing with a life we don't understand.

I don’t think they’re morons. Neither do I think that younger generations are inferior to my own.

Being a moron spans the generations. And all I have to do to confirm that observation is make a trip to Wal-Mart.

You’re trying hard, but in order to successfully refute a point, you have to actually identify and understand the point being made first.

Ironwolf

Doctor of Teleocity
Gold Supporter
I don’t think they’re morons. Neither do I think that younger generations are inferior to my own.

Being a moron spans the generations. And all I have to do to confirm that observation is make a trip to Wal-Mart.

You’re trying hard, but in order to successfully refute a point, you have to actually identify and understand the point being made first.

Or a University campus.

BigDaddyLH

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member

Or a University campus.

Things I've learnt: everyone has a hobby horse they like to get on and ride and that's okay.

getbent

Telefied
Gold Supporter
Even an online forum can be of use in that regard. It can get a little weird trying to discern sincerity though.

over time, personalities and voices emerge... some people I totally love what they write, I don't agree with it, but they have an honest perspective and THEY believe it. Too much acclimation is odd and not fun. I also think it is healthy here that people who agree on most things are comfortable disagreeing without it being a 'deal breaker' or something.

the only stuff that kind of makes me retreat is full bore anti intellectualism masked as something else. That is when I close the thread and move away.

Manual Slim

Friend of Leo's
over time, personalities and voices emerge... some people I totally love what they write, I don't agree with it, but they have an honest perspective and THEY believe it. Too much acclimation is odd and not fun. I also think it is healthy here that people who agree on most things are comfortable disagreeing without it being a 'deal breaker' or something.

the only stuff that kind of makes me retreat is full bore anti intellectualism masked as something else. That is when I close the thread and move away.
This sounds about right. Sometimes though I like to poke the anti-intellectual with a verbal stick before leaving just to see if they want me to stay a little longer.

tattypicker

Tele-Meister
@Steerforth made a good point but @JL_LI totally exemplifies what I was talking about.

My facebook thread taking about a specific thing was followed by 90 posts about how everyone is better than social media. LOL.

The QR code at the restaurant thread (things I hate 3496.1) was full of anti tech and I eat better at home. But we should expect that on a social media forum.

I live in an area where if someone asks for a Mexican restaurant recommendation 50 people have to tell you how much better the food is in a totally different part of the county and how you can't get real mexican food around here. Jeez.

Well, the restaurant QR thread exemplified another “feature” of thread behaviour.

2 separate posters explained the correct information, justifying the thing complained of, why it’s actually done in the OP’s best interests.

Do those small nuggets of fact make the slightest dent in the wall of indignation being expressed?

Flat6Driver

Friend of Leo's
Well, the restaurant QR thread exemplified another “feature” of thread behaviour.

2 separate posters explained the correct information, justifying the thing complained of, why it’s actually done in the OP’s best interests.

Do those small nuggets of fact make the slightest dent in the wall of indignation being expressed?

Depends on if the OP is still engaged.

I think a lot of people see the first post, it triggers them and they MUST post something without reading the rest of the thread. I have done it, sometimes for entertainment (of myself) purposes.

ale.istotle

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter

Kvetch threads are for kvetching. Sometimes you just want to speak to the manager.

MilwMark

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
I couldn't be bothered to read the whole thread (is that pet peeve 3574?).

Man, I love my new Tonemaster Deluxe Reverb.

Yeah, they sound so digital next to the real thing though.

Obsessed

Telefied
Silver Supporter
There are nearly eight billion people on the planet, and the overwhelming majority of them think that this goat rope is some sort of competition.

They’re all trying to sort out their place in the pecking order, and if they can figure out any way to make something that you said seem wrong, they feel that they’ve moved up another notch in the pecking order. This is the essence of moron-think.

In short, the overwhelming majority of people are ego-driven morons, and whoever is in charge of this asylum has tossed us in with them.

Those of us who don’t give a fat rat’s ass where we fall in the pecking order actually manage to have some moments of peace and enjoyment.

But there is no peace or enjoyment for the morons. They’ll deny that and swear that they have far more peace and enjoyment than anyone else, but they’re lying.

They’re all far too busy sweating and wringing their hands about their place in the pecking order to ever calm down, relax, and enjoy life.

That’s why I live out in the middle of nowhere and won’t answer the phone, check the mail, or answer the door most of the time.

Dealing with the morons brings my professional persona to the fore and I immediately want to start dispensing military leadership of the sort that was standard operating procedure back before the military turned all touchy-freely, warm and fuzzy kumbaya.

Mrs. Steerforth has threatened to buy me a t-shirt that says, “Does not play nice with others.”

When I catch up with whoever is responsible for me being marooned in the middle of this Scheiße Show, I intend to plant a size 13 military boot so far up their butt that they’ll have to unlace it to get a drink of water.

In the meantime, do your best to ignore the world. No good can come from paying attention.
Wow, I feel so much the same, but I try not to be so hostile about it. I just missed the draft by the skin of my teeth, but I was already testing at recruit centers, if I didn't luck out with my number. I came to the conclusion long ago that nothing fixes "stupid". I was lucky enough to escape the concrete jungle at a young enough age to save myself from myself. Take heed, be grateful and enjoy your perspective Mr. @Steerforth , we are the exceptions.

getbent

Telefied
Gold Supporter
Wow, I feel so much the same, but I try not to be so hostile about it. I just missed the draft by the skin of my teeth, but I was already testing at recruit centers, if I didn't luck out with my number. I came to the conclusion long ago that nothing fixes "stupid". I was lucky enough to escape the concrete jungle at a young enough age to save myself from myself. Take heed, be grateful and enjoy your perspective Mr. @Steerforth , we are the exceptions.

I was just on a zoom call with a vendor who wants to sell us some stuff. It was interesting, from the beginning of the call (the other one we had today was awesome, nice people, smart, get it, answer question that is asked etc) the second call, the salesperson says, 'sorry we're late we had back to back to back calls and the last group had lots of good questions.

Okay.

Then she says, 'I think you have some specific questions, so, go ahead and get to them.' There are three folks (counting me) on the call from our team. I say, 'we each have questions.' So, I ask a question and the salesperson cuts off the question and begins to answer... her answer is to a question I did not ask. I wait. When she kind of finishes, I say, 'that is great, but what I wanted to know is...' and I ask. Her 'engineer' pipes up, 'oh, I have the answer for that and proceeds to provide information about the subject of the question, but it is like the definition of the subject not the advanced implementation.' after 5 minutes, I stop him and say, 'That is great, but I asking about these fine points of advance implementation' and he responds with 'Oh, well, I was going to tell you that but later.' 'oh, okay.' Then one of my guys says, 'The question is X in situation y, can you explain how you implement that?'

'Sorry,' he says, 'I will need to ask someone else. I knew this was the technical discussion but I didn't realize you'd ask a question like that.'

So, we go to other questions, in each answer there was a defensiveness and, worse, a need to 'win' a point by having a piece of an answer correct, but missing the point of the question. Yes, SSO allows users to login.. you win. We need to know methodology and credential sharing and data sharing and scope and which fields LOTS of real stuff.. and they were not only without clue, but astonished that we'd ask and yet they claim to have thousands of implementations.

I don't think they are morons. I don't really know what to think about them. We aren't going to buy their product, and it might be a great product. In 54 minutes on the call, my team logged 4 minutes of the time talking.

Like you, Obsessed, I'm not hostile toward what i perceive as 'different' today versus 20 years ago, but while people seem to spoil for a hot take or a zing, I just want to ease my way through whatever I'm working on and I like happy resolute demeanors around me. If you don't have that... I'm gonna be scarce.. so, if that is the mindset Steerforth is talking about, yeah, I get that... in my case, it knows no age though. I have a brother in law that I love and like too.. and we agree on most things, but he is such a jerk and needs to be right so much, I just withdraw.

Steerforth

Friend of Leo's

Ah, well, that’s probably part of some misunderstanding me.

I’m acculturated to military life back before the military decided to be nicer to their people. On a military base back in the old days, no one would have taken my commentary as hostile. They might have chuckled, but they wouldn’t have interpreted it as intended to be hostile.

Mrs. Steerforth has been trying to straighten me out for over twenty years, and I’m honestly trying. But I must admit, I’m a bit baffled as to why things are taken as offensive or hostile sometimes, especially when I didn’t intend that.

But she still says that I possess all the social acumen of Yellowbeard the pirate.

So just so everyone knows, I’m not trying to be hostile to anyone here. But society in general drives me a little nuts.