Things I hate: 3497

getbent

Telefied
Gold Supporter
Maybe it is a confusion of purpose. When you list 'things you hate 3497' I interpret that title as a invitation to have a fun discussion about a small thing that you find annoying, knowing full well, that there are probably a thousand different ways to view that annoying thing... the point of the thread being, lets have some fun talking about X.

It sounds like maybe you really wish there was more acclimation for a perception--> I don't like Sprite because it is too sugary and expensive. and the goal is that a score or so of people will respond 'Right on! me too! Friggin Sprite! Ahh big business sucks!'

The challenge is EVEN IF you request 'please don't argue or try to change my mind or share your differing opinion' in a discussion board... the second you start a thread, you lose control...

So, if you wish you could control a thread, it can be hard to do.

In the I hate poetry, it is a very short thread with very short responses unless folks say 'oh man, check this one out'

The key is it should be fun... and maybe thoughtful...

the whole thing with flexing and clout is real, but it also becomes a way to shrink from a conversation.

I do know this, threads about threads... never go well.

Flat6Driver

Friend of Leo's
Maybe it is a confusion of purpose. When you list 'things you hate 3497' I interpret that title as a invitation to have a fun discussion about a small thing that you find annoying, knowing full well, that there are probably a thousand different ways to view that annoying thing... the point of the thread being, lets have some fun talking about X.

It sounds like maybe you really wish there was more acclimation for a perception--> I don't like Sprite because it is too sugary and expensive. and the goal is that a score or so of people will respond 'Right on! me too! Friggin Sprite! Ahh big business sucks!'

The challenge is EVEN IF you request 'please don't argue or try to change my mind or share your differing opinion' in a discussion board... the second you start a thread, you lose control...

So, if you wish you could control a thread, it can be hard to do.

In the I hate poetry, it is a very short thread with very short responses unless folks say 'oh man, check this one out'

The key is it should be fun... and maybe thoughtful...

the whole thing with flexing and clout is real, but it also becomes a way to shrink from a conversation.

I do know this, threads about threads... never go well.

It was less about any one thread but the general propensity of folks to just sh#t on the topic at hand. Maybe they have nothing to contribute maybe they wanna be a smart ass (I am a smart ass too) but it always comes off as a superiority type thing.

The poetry thread started in a hole (I read the first couple of posts). I started a similar thread a few years back...and asked if people liked it. I don't so much. Some of the replies made me rethink my position. A little. (I read too quick to let poetry sink in on me...stoping to smell the roses and all).

The alien shooting thread was a good discussion but I think there was a post or two about about "why would you need a gun....I don't". On other forums that's very typical.

Steerforth

Friend of Leo's
I don't believe any of that.
Do you actually converse with any people under thirty?

Well, whether or not you believe anything that I say is of no consequence to me. Feel free to believe or disbelieve anything that I post.

Most of the people with whom I choose to interact willingly in real life are under thirty. My daughters and their many friends seem to be very fond of me, and it is not unusual for young people to stop by to visit me, even when my daughters aren’t with them.

And the reason that this is the one and only place that I “reach out” to others on the Internet is because I know perfectly well that a very large percentage of the others that hang out here understand what I’m trying so imperfectly to express, without the necessity of me having to continually restate everything from yet another perspective in an attempt to clarify my point.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
There are nearly eight billion people on the planet, and the overwhelming majority of them think that this goat rope is some sort of competition.

They’re all trying to sort out their place in the pecking order, and if they can figure out any way to make something that you said seem wrong, they feel that they’ve moved up another notch in the pecking order. This is the essence of moron-think.

In short, the overwhelming majority of people are ego-driven morons, and whoever is in charge of this asylum has tossed us in with them.

Those of us who don’t give a fat rat’s ass where we fall in the pecking order actually manage to have some moments of peace and enjoyment.

But there is no peace or enjoyment for the morons. They’ll deny that and swear that they have far more peace and enjoyment than anyone else, but they’re lying.

They’re all far too busy sweating and wringing their hands about their place in the pecking order to ever calm down, relax, and enjoy life.

That’s why I live out in the middle of nowhere and won’t answer the phone, check the mail, or answer the door most of the time.

Dealing with the morons brings my professional persona to the fore and I immediately want to start dispensing military leadership of the sort that was standard operating procedure back before the military turned all touchy-freely, warm and fuzzy kumbaya.

Mrs. Steerforth has threatened to buy me a t-shirt that says, “Does not play nice with others.”

When I catch up with whoever is responsible for me being marooned in the middle of this Scheiße Show, I intend to plant a size 13 military boot so far up their butt that they’ll have to unlace it to get a drink of water.

In the meantime, do your best to ignore the world. No good can come from paying attention.

You probably won't read my response since I didn't ring the doorbell. At any rate, Mr. GURUSACHE, you are essentially correct. Why do I know this, because I looked it up on the internet witch is an unassailable source of information. It seems there is an alarming proportion of the population that qualify as morons! Especailly right here in the good old US OF A! Now, this was quite concerting information, and of course I quickly wondered how I might be affected and or if I were a moron myself. The very same internet that I found this information on provided me with the answer to my question. AMAZON! For only four easy installments of $29.99 (qualified for free shipping) I will receive an information, and testing kit to determine where I fit into the scheme of things! THANK YOU BIG TIME OH GREAT GURUSACHE!

getbent

Telefied
Gold Supporter
It was less about any one thread but the general propensity of folks to just sh#t on the topic at hand. Maybe they have nothing to contribute maybe they wanna be a smart ass (I am a smart ass too) but it always comes off as a superiority type thing.

The poetry thread started in a hole (I read the first couple of posts). I started a similar thread a few years back...and asked if people liked it. I don't so much. Some of the replies made me rethink my position. A little. (I read too quick to let poetry sink in on me...stoping to smell the roses and all).

The alien shooting thread was a good discussion but I think there was a post or two about about "why would you need a gun....I don't". On other forums that's very typical.

we agree.

When I start threads, I sometimes, but not always have a goal: I am asking about something that I have looked up but I am not sure how to assess the value of my research. Like on products. I have found this board EXTREMELY helpful in crowdsourcing 'common experience'. So, I kind of know different personalities and I want to hear their perception so that I can 'ground' mine and integrate it.

Sometimes, I just want to have fun and ask a question that I have 'feelers' about, but I'm not invested. In the Shooting an Alien thread, the scolds are so harsh (and I have been guilty about doing that, so, I apologize here for that.) If you really were 30 miles from town, on foot on a 500 acre ranch and on the backside over the mtn from the road and it was dusk, and something soooo strange was threatening you... and you DON'T have a pickup to run to to drive off... but, I can dig that folks have some firm convictions and ANY threat to that, well, it would challenge that firm footing which is problematic, right?

I saw a bbq show last night and a guy had a hat on that said Meat Church with a cow, pig and chicken and at the bottom it said 'the holy trinity'. I laughed like crazy, found the hat and ordered it.

I told my wife about it and she mentioned I probably shouldn't wear it around XXX and YYY because they are vegans or pescatarians and they'd be upset. shrug.

I come here as just me. I don't need clout or to flex, and this is one of the few places where I can say what I really think without having to temper it and go overboard to keep everyone happy.

My friend Sam Humphrey told me 'some people just don't like your face' and that is a hard lesson.

I don't think anyone SHOULD like poetry. If you don't like it, cool. But, if you start a thread about it, I just see it as a request for 'change my mind' and I know that lots of folks will intersect there and it will be fun who thinks what.

For example, I dig Manuel Slim. His posts are awesome even if we don't see it the same. So when he doesn't dig poetry, that is fine, he is open about it and so am I, no winners, just guys spending time together in our virtual corner bar. No tire tool needed!

rcole_sooner

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
4ea.jpg

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Meh, calling others "morons" implies you think you are are superior, doesn't it?

Well here we have to examine that well established motivating principle:

Somebody is wrong on the internet.

Many of us feel it is our urgent responsibility to tell all whose taste differs from our own, that they are wrong to like chorus, wrong to not like poetry, wrong to be annoyed by the tourist visiting rural Ireland who walk into a pub and demands pizza and Bud light.

Given that the vast universe contains more than we can possibly know, we can accept that we are beings of great ignorance.

So in light of our stupendous ignorance, is it fair to suggest that when we step into an unfamiliar situation and try to teach, it may be entirely true in that moment that we are the moron in the room?

While in some other room we might be the expert?

Knowing stuff isn't about being superior, and ignorance isn't inferiority.

An unwillingness to learn though?
Or taking offense when we are the new guy in a room of experienced practitioners, and they have the audacity to disagree with our claim that we can imagine more than they have been taught in their field?

In the misinformation age, there is more repeated misinformation on the internet than there is accurate and clear information.
In fact, the misinformed zealots are allied around their shared love of titillating paranoia based misinformation, and they attract more and more to their clan every day, based on the ideal that if you FEEL strongly, and fear being told you're wrong, you must be right and should fight for your inalienable right to fight for whatever gets you riled up.

Flat6Driver

Friend of Leo's
I was laughing before I got to the end of the Meat Church paragraph. But the truth is there. Nobody knows how to laugh anymore. OMG someone might take offense. (It's tragic really. .post a link I want to see that.)

I have learned a bunch about stuff I didnt know on the internet and recently been wisened to some of the issues in the Alien thread. Which I treated a good fun applying human self defense and hunting logic to a nonsense problem. I'm sure some also thought "why would you need a truck...or by goodness a 4x4...". I saw similar on a motorcycle forum. They were trying to figure out how to ban people F150s. My Dad used to say "you go to your church and I'll go to mine...". Makes a lot of sense. I can barely run my own life....no need to try and run everyone else's.

getbent

Telefied
Gold Supporter
I was laughing before I got to the end of the Meat Church paragraph. But the truth is there. Nobody knows how to laugh anymore. OMG someone might take offense. (It's tragic really. .post a link I want to see that.)

I have learned a bunch about stuff I didnt know on the internet and recently been wisened to some of the issues in the Alien thread. Which I treated a good fun applying human self defense and hunting logic to a nonsense problem. I'm sure some also thought "why would you need a truck...or by goodness a 4x4...". I saw similar on a motorcycle forum. They were trying to figure out how to ban people F150s. My Dad used to say "you go to your church and I'll go to mine...". Makes a lot of sense. I can barely run my own life....no need to try and run everyone else's.

great jonathan edwards line in there (the songwriter not the puritan dude)

"How much does it cost, I'll buy it
The time is all we've lost, I'll try it
But he can't even run his own life
I'll be damned if he'll run mine, Sunshine"

now I'm laughing, I'm gonna tell my pescatarian friend, 'you go to your meat church and I'll go to mine' ha hahah

Manual Slim

Friend of Leo's
we agree.

When I start threads, I sometimes, but not always have a goal: I am asking about something that I have looked up but I am not sure how to assess the value of my research. Like on products. I have found this board EXTREMELY helpful in crowdsourcing 'common experience'. So, I kind of know different personalities and I want to hear their perception so that I can 'ground' mine and integrate it.

Sometimes, I just want to have fun and ask a question that I have 'feelers' about, but I'm not invested. In the Shooting an Alien thread, the scolds are so harsh (and I have been guilty about doing that, so, I apologize here for that.) If you really were 30 miles from town, on foot on a 500 acre ranch and on the backside over the mtn from the road and it was dusk, and something soooo strange was threatening you... and you DON'T have a pickup to run to to drive off... but, I can dig that folks have some firm convictions and ANY threat to that, well, it would challenge that firm footing which is problematic, right?

I saw a bbq show last night and a guy had a hat on that said Meat Church with a cow, pig and chicken and at the bottom it said 'the holy trinity'. I laughed like crazy, found the hat and ordered it.

I told my wife about it and she mentioned I probably shouldn't wear it around XXX and YYY because they are vegans or pescatarians and they'd be upset. shrug.

I come here as just me. I don't need clout or to flex, and this is one of the few places where I can say what I really think without having to temper it and go overboard to keep everyone happy.

My friend Sam Humphrey told me 'some people just don't like your face' and that is a hard lesson.

I don't think anyone SHOULD like poetry. If you don't like it, cool. But, if you start a thread about it, I just see it as a request for 'change my mind' and I know that lots of folks will intersect there and it will be fun who thinks what.

For example, I dig Manuel Slim. His posts are awesome even if we don't see it the same. So when he doesn't dig poetry, that is fine, he is open about it and so am I, no winners, just guys spending time together in our virtual corner bar. No tire tool needed!
Did you mean me? If so then please allow me to clarify and state for the record that I adore poetry. I’m just kind of a nitpicking nudge sometimes.