1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Things have changed a lot since the '60's

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Togman, Dec 4, 2020.

1. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

We all have it comin'

Stubee, Obsessed and Danb541 like this.
  2. MarkieMark

MarkieMark Friend of Leo's

About four or more times a week, same call.
    "We've been trying to reach you about your vehicles extended warranty, this is your final notice"

My interpretation of final seems to differ from theirs. o_O
    And I do not want and never have had a vehicle extended warranty...

jackal, driver8 and Danb541 like this.
  3. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

In our busy lives when we had kids living at home, family meal in the evening was about the only time we all got together. We really did not have a "phone rule" but we did want everyone to engage in conversation with another human which really irked my youngest son who thinks living alone on a private island is ideal, as long as he has an XBox.

So my wife, three kids and myself would all set down for dinner and converse sometimes long after the meal was eaten.
    We somewhat adopted a young lady who was going through a hard time and invited her into our family. She was just a few years older than our oldest daughter and had been on her own for a while. I will never forget sitting down at a meal with the rest of the family while she flitted around the kitchen just doing things that needed to be done (counters wiped off, dishes washed). We finally convinced her to sit down and we all ate and talked. About the time the last of the food was devoured she jumped up and started cleaning again. We encouraged her to sit back down and talk and that we would all clean the kitchen when we were done. She sat down again and we talked for another 15 minutes and then we all started cleaning the kitchen.

This went on for the first couple of weeks she stayed with us. After a month or so she mentioned once at dinner that she had never really ever had dinner this way other than Christmas, Easter and Thanksgiving. She said it seemed so foreign to her to actually sit at a table to eat and not just graze in the kitchen and that she liked it. It was quite the cultural shift for her and I am happy to say a culture she embraced and is now employing with her family.

Sometimes it is good to be just different.

kingofdogs1950 and Togman like this.
  4. Gardo

Gardo Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

and bottled water, what was that ?
    We drank right from the hose

bgmacaw likes this.
  5. electrichead

electrichead Tele-Holic

I grew up in the 60's and 70's and my dad was in the Air force so always worked swing shifts. During the weeks that he was home for dinner we mostly ate as a family at the dinner table. If that phone rang during dinner time you had better hope it wasn't one of your friends calling. They would get an earful and so would the person they were calling.
    It was usually my sisters friends calling and if it was a girl they got off easy.
    If it was one of my friends or my brothers friends calling all hell would break loose.

When he wasn't home my mom was a softy and pretty much anything went.

Togman likes this.
  6. Buckaroo65

Buckaroo65 Tele-Holic

We got away with all kinds of stupid things, but we all knew better than to swim in the Kern River... I'm a '65.

7. Gardo

Gardo Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I was in third grade in 1965.
    Our teacher was Mrs. Bagshaw ,or as we pronounced it BAGshaw. But if she heard us say her name that way the paddle was ready to strike

Lake Placid Blue likes this.
  8. Dan R

Dan R Poster Extraordinaire

You get Spam delivered? You lucky dog!

Togman and Gardo like this.
  9. 41144

41144 Tele-Afflicted

Along similar lines .... remember being shown how to wire a record player needle to use it to amplify a guitar ... wow!

We were 11/12 at the time, had cheap (in every sense of the word) Rosetti guitars with no chance of affording amps too.
    Fortunately, literally down the road from one of my best mates, was a guy who looked after (still does 55+ years later) other bands gear and showed us what to do.

1) If I saw my grandchildren playing about with naked/live wires these day - I'd have an apoplexy these days!
    2) The general absence of record players in homes anyway.

10. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

1950's:
    [​IMG]

1960s:

[​IMG]

1970s:
    [​IMG]
    1980's
    [​IMG]

and so on, slight deviation in the 2010's:

[​IMG]

Obsessed likes this.
  11. howardlo

howardlo Tele-Afflicted

And I graduated from high school in 1965!

We didn’t even have phones with rotary dials until I was in high school. Up to that point we just picked up the phone and the operator would say, “Number, please.” That is if if you didn’t pick up the phone and hear someone at one of the other four homes on the party line talking. Then it was just hang it up and try it again in a few minutes. As a courtesy most tried to keep their phone calls as brief as possible (and not listen in to the neighbor’s calls).

12. loopfinding

loopfinding Friend of Leo's

“Small” things have changed since the 60s but “big” things mostly haven’t since the late 60s. The past 50 years with the exception of digital technology and the internet, humanity has been in the same kind of postmodern loop. If you transported me back to 1970 or 1980 something the only weird thing would not be having a personal computer or internet. I don’t even think my clothing or the music I make would be super out of place. Certainly not like the dramatic shift between 1945-1965. That post war period was probably the single most transformational period of the 20th century. In everything - technology, global and domestic politics, economy, culture, art, music, etc. I can’t even imagine how disorienting my grandparents’ life must have been. They grew up without electricity.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2020
    knopflerfan, Togman and davidge1 like this.
  13. davidge1

davidge1 Friend of Leo's

I think this is true. What's strange to me is actually how LITTLE the world has changed in the last 20 years. Cars, clothes, hairstyles, industrial design, architecture and most everything else about our culture used to change radically every 10 years. The '90s was the last "decade" to be thought of in those terms. No one refers to decades now, because there are practically no cultural changes in a given 10 year span.

People talk about how much digital technology has changed our lives, but I think it only seems like a big change because nothing else is changing. If the internet had come along in the '50s, it would have been just one more new thing among many.

I have a great aunt who's going on 103... born before women could vote. That's someone who's seen some change.

Togman likes this.
  14. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

fax machine, anyone? anyone? Yes, they are still around, but who cares? I suppose in 50 years, someone will have a fax machine collection...

old-ways-selfie 2.jpg

what does it all mean, anyway? I think of my grandparents - on one side, a career army officer, went courting for my grandmother on horseback and then watched the moon landing, some years later - after seeing automobiles, jet planes, radio, television and computers (well, main frames...) come of age.

Still trying to hang on.

Tibor-Kercz_Help-_00000341_jpg_optimal.jpg

Been working for over 45 years. Seen a few things come and go. Some things have changed a lot, and others, not so much.

320px-Mersenne_harmonie_universelle_1636_trombone.png

still miss my dog.
    Gibson's last ride.jpg

Togman, Tommyd55 and Rowdyman like this.
  15. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Poster Extraordinaire

I was born in 1965. That makes me vintage and therefore more valuable, right?

Nah. I’m just old!

16. loopfinding

loopfinding Friend of Leo's

lol yeah. And if it were my grandparents they’d be like “we didn’t have no full meals and stupid liberal democracy, we had the depression and brutal dictatorship, like real men.” Yeah, thanks but no thanks.

Togman and blowtorch like this.
  17. Danb541

Danb541 Friend of Leo's

I bet a smaller percentage of people smoke cigarettes

18. Hey_you

Hey_you Tele-Holic

I was there. I remember our phone prefix was "Browning". Kids would run around all days without the parents having to freak-out. Back in the 90's my son brought a friend to the 40's cabin the family owned. I had to dial the rotary phone for him. He had no clue! I loved the freedom I had back in the 60's. I don't think things have changed for the better tho.

19. aeyeq

aeyeq Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Pretty easy to hack into a party line.

20. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

My dad was a computer programmer starting in the late 1950s. I was helping him on weekends in 1965 loading huge reel to reel tapes in the very cold IBM 360 computer room. Everything since then are still the same 1s and 0s.

Signed:
    Living off the grid using a wood cookstove.:cool:

telemnemonics likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.