Things are getting tight out there......

fcmusician

TDPRI Member
Man...been playing steady. Played four different places in the last 2 months. People are having fun but after about an hour or two people just kind of filter out. After talking to different people it seems the cost of just hanging out is getting expensive. Still get paid good and even tips are not that bad for the most part. Bars around here are adding price increases to the menus more and more. Got to be tough making decisions as an owner for sure. :oops:

Flat6Driver

Friend of Leo's
My county is talking about a 4% restaurant tax. Out of nowhere. Current tax on that is 0 (or just sales tax). Combined with the cost of food and the cost of gas to get anywhere, I don't see much point of going out.

I haven't played live music out in 2 years. Jams, open mics, gigs. None of it. I cut way back on my going out from the big C and the price increase (don't expect the tax to pass)....well, I have food at home.

Last edited:

StoneH

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter
Man...been playing steady. Played four different places in the last 2 months. People are having fun but after about an hour or two people just kind of filter out. After talking to different people it seems the cost of just hanging out is getting expensive. Still get paid good and even tips are not that bad for the most part. Bars around here are adding price increases to the menus more and more. Got to be tough making decisions as an owner for sure. :oops:

For the first time ever (in the States) . . . I went to a restaurant that applied a 20% gratuity.

arlum

Tele-Afflicted
Platinum Supporter
I don't understand any of this. The poorer folks can no longer afford baseball, football, hockey, etc. tickets. The owners desire for wealth and the players demands for salary have priced it out of most sports fans reach. Regular income folks can't afford to take "over the road" vacations because of gas prices. They also can't afford "fresh food" because now its labeled organic, natural, non GMO, etc. and carries a premium price tag just for being plain old natural food that most folks grew up eating. Why is it that, with all the clamoring about minimum wage hikes, etc., no one puts two and two together and realizes that the worlds average wage earner can no longer afford even the most basic of entertainment, food, vacations, health coverage, housing, etc., etc.. Most of the bands out on the road are going from bar to bar or small venue to small venue and then performing for folks who had to really scrape some bread together just to attend the show.

As a child I used to love our family vacations. We didn't have a lot of bread so it was always by car with a tent in the trunk. We traveled the midwest as well as back and forth to the Florida panhandle. Other folks just like us populated the campgrounds and shared laughter and fun of all types playing in shallow rivers or along the Florida coast. It didn't take a lot of bread. Yet .... there was so much fun to be had.

Why do prices for people who can barely make ends meet keep going up while prices for those who have far more than their fair share either stay the same or go up slower than that affecting the poor, lower middle, or even middle class? To my friends trying to take their bands from obscurity to fame ........ The wealthy won't be attending your shows until you make the big time. The folks who's help you need to make the jump are being trampled by the folks who will populate your audience when you reach the big time. In 1972 a Big Mac cost 50 cents and concert tickets to see The James Gang, Alice Cooper, etc. cost $2.00 to $4.00 in an arena or concert hall. How much does a Big Mac cost today? How much do concert tickets cost. To me it seems there's a line that defines the 90% majority living from day to day and the remaining 10% minority who earn and have far more than any one person deserves. This isn't about politics or religion or race or any of those hot button topics. It's about the have and have not. The have not make up your audience that can lead to the big time. The have have no interest in you until you've made it.

Please note* If you turn out to be one of those who make the leap ...... will you then become one of the greedy 10% or remember your original audience who supported you over the years during your climb to the top. Will you be living in a mansion or top dollar penthouse in New York or will you be helping the community you came from by paying for a new park or recreation facility for those that supported your rise? It's 90% to 10% and the greed of the 10% are trapping everyone else below. Will you repay those that created you or cave to those who've you've finally garnered the interest of?

mfguitar

Friend of Leo's
There are some exceptions but for the most part, a couple of hours is it for most people. We had last weekend off so I visited a couple of places and the crowds were thinning shortly after 10. With all the difficulties there are no longer late-night food places and I think that makes a difference. The one good thing that has happened is earlier start times.

fcmusician

TDPRI Member
There are some exceptions but for the most part, a couple of hours is it for most people. We had last weekend off so I visited a couple of places and the crowds were thinning shortly after 10. With all the difficulties there are no longer late-night food places and I think that makes a difference. The one good thing that has happened is earlier start times.
Yep I think you hit it there. Nasty combination. And yes the early start is kind of nice too.

fcmusician

TDPRI Member
I don't understand any of this. The poorer folks can no longer afford baseball, football, hockey, etc. tickets. The owners desire for wealth and the players demands for salary have priced it out of most sports fans reach. Regular income folks can't afford to take "over the road" vacations because of gas prices. They also can't afford "fresh food" because now its labeled organic, natural, non GMO, etc. and carries a premium price tag just for being plain old natural food that most folks grew up eating. Why is it that, with all the clamoring about minimum wage hikes, etc., no one puts two and two together and realizes that the worlds average wage earner can no longer afford even the most basic of entertainment, food, vacations, health coverage, housing, etc., etc.. Most of the bands out on the road are going from bar to bar or small venue to small venue and then performing for folks who had to really scrape some bread together just to attend the show.

As a child I used to love our family vacations. We didn't have a lot of bread so it was always by car with a tent in the trunk. We traveled the midwest as well as back and forth to the Florida panhandle. Other folks just like us populated the campgrounds and shared laughter and fun of all types playing in shallow rivers or along the Florida coast. It didn't take a lot of bread. Yet .... there was so much fun to be had.

Why do prices for people who can barely make ends meet keep going up while prices for those who have far more than their fair share either stay the same or go up slower than that affecting the poor, lower middle, or even middle class? To my friends trying to take their bands from obscurity to fame ........ The wealthy won't be attending your shows until you make the big time. The folks who's help you need to make the jump are being trampled by the folks who will populate your audience when you reach the big time. In 1972 a Big Mac cost 50 cents and concert tickets to see The James Gang, Alice Cooper, etc. cost $2.00 to $4.00 in an arena or concert hall. How much does a Big Mac cost today? How much do concert tickets cost. To me it seems there's a line that defines the 90% majority living from day to day and the remaining 10% minority who earn and have far more than any one person deserves. This isn't about politics or religion or race or any of those hot button topics. It's about the have and have not. The have not make up your audience that can lead to the big time. The have have no interest in you until you've made it.

Please note* If you turn out to be one of those who make the leap ...... will you then become one of the greedy 10% or remember your original audience who supported you over the years during your climb to the top. Will you be living in a mansion or top dollar penthouse in New York or will you be helping the community you came from by paying for a new park or recreation facility for those that supported your rise? It's 90% to 10% and the greed of the 10% are trapping everyone else below. Will you repay those that created you or cave to those who've you've finally garnered the interest of?
Great post Arlum. very frustrating. Just a nasty long winded vicious circle we are in.

Dostradamas

Tele-Afflicted
For the first time ever (in the States) . . . I went to a restaurant that applied a 20% gratuity.

I managed room service at a downtown hotel in PDX 25 years ago and they had a 20% automatic gratuity added to every room service order.

Auto gratuity came in about the time they started enforcing income tax on tips around here.

The rich have always got richer and the poor will always sink lower.

Human nature, economics, and empathy don't play well together.

Does a signature making statements about the forbidden subject count?

howardlo

Tele-Afflicted
That wouldn’t bother me as long as I had good service. Actually in my case they would normally get a larger tip from me if the service was good. 20% is my starting point for normal service.

I go to a monthly lunch with a group of 12-15 old high school buddies. We vary locations from month to month for the past 14 years. We have been to a few places that add the 20% gratuity to the bill for groups of over 10-12. In those cases they are loosing out. If they don’t automatically add that we tip far more than 20%.

StoneH

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter
I managed room service at a downtown hotel in PDX 25 years ago and they had a 20% automatic gratuity added to every room service order.

Auto gratuity came in about the time they started enforcing income tax on tips around here.

The rich have always got richer and the poor will always sink lower.

Human nature, economics, and empathy don't play well together.

Does a signature making statements about the forbidden subject count?

Yeah, automatic gratuity on room service has been around for almost as long as I can remember. When I started traveling in Europe in the '90s, tipping was not the norm, then a slow change happened. I don't know anyone in the restaurant biz anymore, so I don't know if it helps or hurts the little guy.

stormsedge

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
We generally tip 20% if the service and food are up to par. However, my opinion is tipping will go the way of the dodo. Between the govt scrambling to tax everything, businesses adding gratuities and demands for tips popping up at more places (not traditionally tipped), I expect it to come to an end.

Happy Enchilada

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
I don't mind tipping for excellent service. But I went to a place the other day where you order at the counter and then your order comes up and they holler at you to come get it. And they asked me if I wanted to put a tip on my bill. I looked 'em in the eye and said "For WHAT?" Just because it's a fancier place than Mickey Dee's doesn't mean I have to tip for the same level of service I get at Mickey Dee's, right? Oh, and they're making $15 an hour, about three times what fast food work paid when I was that age. Sheesh!

GeneB

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
I stopped at Subway 2 weeks ago, and there was a choice of mandatory gratuity amounts on the card reader. Subway....
That's the new thing here in Tampa. Not just Subway but the local non-chain taco/burrito place and the new greek restaurants. You got to a kiosk, order to go, and get prompted to add 10%, 15%, 20% to the bill as a tip. Note they do not serve you at a table. They call out your name and you pick up your meal in a paper sack to go. So the tip is for them to process your order but you never see the recipient of the tip.

Telekarster

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter

Man.... you really brought back some good old memories for me, and thanks for that. I can still smell that old canvas tent, the rain pattering down on it in the camp grounds, and hanging out around the camp fire that complete strangers built with us. You could trust people by and large, and the "community" of people back then watched out for everyone else. Total strangers could sit by the fire and have some cocktails, food, beer, etc. and get to know each other. Share and share alike was the general vibe back then, as I recall. Might never see those people again, when the sun came up, but we had a great time with em the night before! Like you, we didn't have much bread either but we managed to have a swell time anyway. To this day my wife and I try to operate like this as much as possible. It's just hard to put into words how it was back then for those who were not there vs. today but yeah man... I dig exactly where you're at. Heck man, maybe you and I once shared a fire together! :eek: :) :cool:

knopflerfan

Friend of Leo's

My thoughts, exactly. Well stated.