1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Thin Skin Chipping

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by znanjeiimanje, Mar 13, 2021.

1. znanjeiimanje

znanjeiimanje Tele-Meister

In 2007 I got a '62 Tele Custom Thin Skin from my parents as a gift for graduating university (I indeed did give them some hard time during the years over that).

I used the guitar mainly for band practices, a few live gigs (still kept my Strat as my main axe) and in the beginning of 2014 I moved abroad, returning usually for a few weeks during the summer, but the guitar stood in it's case under my bed and no one touched it for the past 7 years.

So, today I opened the case and I saw some really strange damage next to the neck (otherwise, the guitar is in perfect condition).

Anyone knows what might have caused this? The guitar has been in the case for 7 years and at first I suspected it was hit by something but it seems unlikely as it would cause other parts of the guitar to be damaged as well. I know there's no going back now, but anyone having any idea what might have happened here would be great.

Attached Files:

2. Boreas

Boreas Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Looks to me like there has been significant side pressure put on the neck joint. (duh) But what caused the side pressure?? An incorrectly fitting case? Stored with string tension? Excessive heat or cold? Hi/lo humidity? Near a floor register?

You may get a better feel for the problem if you remove the neck. The pocket may simply be too tight and either the body shrunk or the neck swelled. The pocket may even be cracked.

Neck pockets are supposed to have a slight taper. The neck looks mighty tight at the bottom. Possibly too much finish.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2021
  3. tomnardozza

tomnardozza Tele-Meister

I agree, I think 2 different woods expansion and contraction in a super tight neck joint from hot/cold.

4. znanjeiimanje

This is very possible as my apartment gets quite dry in the winter, although there is no heating in it, so it is possible it's a humidity issue.

Would you happen to know what the cure for this would be? Somehow I feel bad letting it sit like this as it will likely go back into the case at least for the next 5 years. I have a Martin D28 which I keep with my brother (who can't even play) and he keeps humidifying it in the winters. Would the same thing work in this case? I'm a bit afraid of it expanding + i have 8 more guitars stored in the same place.

ben smith, Fendereedo and Boreas like this.
  5. Boreas

It depends if there is any damage (cracks) in the wood of the neck pocket. If it cracked/split it would likely need to be re-glued. My advice would be to take it to a luthier and have him assess the damage and stabilize it. He may slightly enlarge the pocket or sand the neck slightly to adjust the fit. Tell him you will be storing it again. See if he recommends a full cosmetic repair before or after storage. Once stabilized, I would store it with your brother or someone who can keep it in a stable environment. I would also loosen the strings and loosen the screws in the neck plate, or remove the neck altogether. Or you could ask the luthier how to store it.

6. Sea Devil

Sea Devil Friend of Leo's

If you know that no one touched it, including just moving the case to clean under the bed, then you should have some adjustments made to what is certainly an overly snug neck pocket. You can have cosmetic repairs done at the same time, and it should be quick and easy. I seriously doubt that there's any damage to the wood.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks it's a shame for this guitar to sit unplayed for so long. Maybe it's angry at being neglected and has resorted to self-harm.

7. znanjeiimanje

Unfortunately the last decent luthier nearby died of COVID so I will most likely have to do the repair myself (and I have done "some" repairs before, never in a neck pocket though). I'm quite handy with electronics on guitars and those are usually something I do on a daily basis, but I'm in a think twice mode right now, so most likely I will store the neck and the body separately in this case for the next period of time.

I'm angry at myself too, because I have other guitars stored in the same place and now i'm worried the same thing might happen to them too so will have to find a way how to store all those too.

Boreas likes this.
  8. Boreas

If the WOOD in the pocket isn't cracked, the repair should be fairly easy. Just some careful filing/sanding to change tightness. Most people do it on the neck heel and not the pocket itself. May be nothing more than removing some of the finish. Just make a mark where the neck is exposed, and sand below that line. The finish overall looks kinda heavy around the pocket and neck. Not sure why it is a "thin skin".

znanjeiimanje likes this.
  9. ben smith

ben smith Tele-Afflicted

it's taken a fall no doubt about it, who else lives in the house? nothing but a fall could have caused that, no temperature change could cause such a thing.

10. Telekarster

Telekarster Tele-Afflicted

It's a tele.... so it's all good ;) After the 7 year retirement it's had, maybe time for it to return to the workplace. In time, the whole guitar will look like this and then you can say it's legit road worn! ;)

znanjeiimanje and atomicmoondog like this.
  11. Twang Tone

Twang Tone Friend of Leo's

I wish I had parents like yours...

Dereksys38 and znanjeiimanje like this.
  12. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

This .
    Someone has been naughty during your absence.

The BINDING ,which is plastic, is also chipped and broken and no humidity can do this.

13. Joe M

Joe M Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    ^^^^This^^^

Dereksys38 likes this.
  14. znanjeiimanje

That is the strange part, that no one lives in the house and the guitars are stored in a wooden box under a bed similar to the one attached. The only person entering the apartment has been my brother who has spent his whole life so uninterested in guitars, that I actually felt it was a shame.

I will try this repair in approximately two weeks, since I had to leave again, but once I'm back I will try to take everything apart and see what's going on. and also think of a way to store the guitars in the future.

Attached Files:

Boreas and ben smith like this.
  15. ben smith

ben smith Tele-Afflicted

melt some binding with acetone to fill the chip, maybe take the chipping stuff off the paint and touch up with black then drop fill with a small pot of nitro or poly, it can become invisible with a skilled hand. good luck sorry to see it.

16. znanjeiimanje

Thanks a lot. I have to ask you, what do you mean exactly by drop fill with nitro or poly? I have had the idea to use nail polish (black one) to fill this. My first idea was to use super glue as I used it previously on a poly fix, but thought nail polish would be more appropriate in this case.

ben smith likes this.
  17. Boreas

I would hesitate to do ANYTHING until the damage is assessed. Drop-filling is OK (usually with CA), but you have more than a chip there! It looks like a section of binding is loose as well. Anything you do right now will probably chip again when you try to remove/replace the neck. Fix the neck pocket fit 1st, repair any cracks, then decide how to fix the finish damage. Unless you are used to repairing binding, I would leave it to a good luthier. Otherwise, you could end up with melted binding and a big mess.

18. Gary in Boston

Gary in Boston Friend of Leo's

It also looks like the body has gotten a some blunt shock to cause those cracks.

Hey look on the bright side, some folks would pay all sorts of money to have their guitar aged.

Gary

19. teletina

teletina Tele-Meister

Did you find chip rests in a case ?

20. znanjeiimanje

Zdravo :) No. Nothing at all. I am somehow trying to think what could have happened, but my best guess would be the guitar either cracked at some point before 2014 while I still played actively and I never noticed (knowing my OCD would be a bit difficult), or somehow it dried in the winters and just "dried" in the wrong direction.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.