1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

thin skin 56 strat blues

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by golfnut, Feb 24, 2018.

1. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

Geez between fender quality and Wildwood guitars terrible setups I maybe should have just bought a custom shop strat
    I purchased a Wildwood guitars 56 thin skin strat. They are supposed to set it up before shipping but I swear all they do is put strings on it. I was expecting a crappy setup but not as bad as it was.
    First off the nut has to go but I expected that anyway. I replace most of them on Fenders. The nut will have to be cut with the low and high e in a bit as the rolled fret edges reduce fret real estate on these guitars. Had my tele 52 thin skin done that way and its fine. Then the trussrod is rattling around in there loose so they'll have to fix that up. I was quoted at least 4 hours maybe more. At $90 an hour shop rate this is gonna cost at least $500 for the whole setup. Keep in mind this is Canadian not US currency but still a lot of money for a setup on a brand new guitar that was set up by Wildwood guitars.
    The nut on this one is gonna be a bit time consuming. The finish is so thick they're going to have a tough time getting it off with out causing a mess. Thought this was supposed to thin skin. guess just the body.

2. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Friend of Leo's

Are you talking about the wide spacing and how the strings are damn near off the edge of the rolled board?

Yeah, I can see how that's frustrating though I actually love it as that's how the clean vintage examples I've played are. No real estate at the ends, they space the strings like that up through the 70's IIRC.

The truss rod rattling? What on earth? Like, it's loose inside? That sounds awful, I would never keep a guitar under that condition.

3. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

I'm sure it just needs a turn or 2 to tighten up with out changing the bow. I'll see how it is when I get it back from the luthier.
    I hope its not broke or defective. Never had that happen to a brand new guitar. The luthier told me he thinks they are only a one way truss rod. Don't know what kind of complication that might include.

4. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Friend of Leo's

Yeah, truss rod is the first thing I tinker with on a guitar. I once purchased a brand new "custom built" tele from a guy just getting started in the business, he did the bodies and necks himself from scratch.

Shockingly, when I did the first set up on it the truss rod did NOTHING. Like, it felt as if there was tension but nothing moved, the neck wasn't even that stiff.

Sent it back, he offered a fix and he was a great guy and we were both cool about it but ooh that was too much for me.

5. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

I bought a new Clapton strat with a truss rod rattle. I could snug it up a bit but it would loosen up. I returned the guitar and found another. SO dont wait too long to decide.
    Also, beware that the nut effects "roll off" a lot less than the bridge spacing. Some Fenders with the wide bridge spacing are terrible for roll off.

6. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

Well I hope my luthier can permanently fix it. Its a great guitar otherwise. Its light and resonant and sounds fantastic. When I get it back with a proper set up it should play nicely. I guess if I have to spend some money to get the truss rod right I will.

7. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Strange scenario.

Wildwood does really, really good setups.

But I wouldn’t use a shop that quoted 4 hours at $90 an hour to do a basic setup and nut replacement. I can get a custom bone nut cut and fitted at my local shop, plus a full setup and strings, for under $150. Including the cost of the nut and strings.

awasson and DougM like this.
  8. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

I've ordered 2 guitars from wildwood in the last month and a half. Both were terrible setups. The 52 tele wasn't too bad but I had to get the Rutters saddles put on so it needed to be setup anyway. As well had the nut replaced to bring the 2 E strings in a bit.
    But the strat was just pathetic. How can they do great setups when the trussrod comes rattling and loose?

9. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Friend of Leo's

90 Canadian dollars equals 67 American dollars.

That's still crazy expensive.

I've got a really good experienced local guitar tech that's going to clean all the hardware,intonate, adjust neck, and fill in all chips and scratches on my '78 Fender Precision Bass for $80.

For the job you're getting done, it'd be about the same.

That guitar tech is stealing you blind.

I'd find someone else to do the work that he's charging you $268 American dollars to do.

Crazy!!!

awasson likes this.
  10. Shnook

Shnook Tele-Meister

I've purchased 3 new guitars from WW and I wasn't crazy about the setups either. They asked me what I liked. And I said lowest action possible without buzzing. All 3 guitars arrived with really high action like they were setup for slide or something. Super stiff and uncomfortable to play.

Sorry you're having to deal with these issues but hopefully once you get it sorted out you'll have a fantastic playing guitar.

11. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

Thats exactly what I asked for. "Lowest action possible with out buzzing". My 52 tele which I had them setup for 11-49 wasn't bad but I had to get the nut worked on. Needed to replace it anyway. They basically put the 11-49 on and didn't adjust the nut for it at all.
    The strat action probably wasn't bad either. It had a lot of buzzing but now I know it was the trussrod.

12. awasson

awasson Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Where are you in Canada? Parries, West Coast, East Coast? That seems excessive. I darn near had my 1981 Ibanez Artist semi hollow body rebuilt after a good 30 years of playing and it was less than $200, tax in, parts labour, everything. Everything got touched, cleaned, dressed, polished, drop filled, etc... but I kept the OEM bone and brass nut.

The truss rod rattle is a little worrisome. If it has zero tension, then I could see it maybe rattling. I’d adjust it for a little relief and if that was all that’s needed great; otherwise, I’d send it right back without wasting any money dickering around with it.

13. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

I'm in Southern Ontario. I took it to Folkway music.

14. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

As soon Folkway opens on Tuesday I'm going to call and ask the tech to only look at the trussrod and give me his opinion if it is going to be a big problem. If so I'll be sending the guitar back to Wildwood. We'll see if their so far good sales service continues.

15. awasson

awasson Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Glad to hear it. I hope it’s a simple fix. If you were out west I’d have pointed you in the direction of a luthier I’ve had great result so with.

16. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

I can see that Wildwood is setting me up for a "do nothing" resolution.
    I emailed about a possible issue with the truss rod and this is the response I got.

Here is my response to that:

I can see that this will be a pain. If I have to send it back to Fender due to warranty issues probably the shipping and associated costs are going to where I may as well just get it fixed my self. I think if it is an extensive repair it would be great if Wildwood would take it back and refund my money but I feel thats un likely to happen. To the extreme maybe I'll just have a local builder here make a neck for it exactly to the specs I want
    Hopefully all my worry is for nothing and its just a simple fix and that will be the end of it.
    For the sales guy to say it didn't leave the store that way, I know he's just trying to cover as on Sunday with the store closed he couldn't have possibly talked to anyone else to confirm this. Even though I imagine no one would admit to it. While typing this post I received one more communication from Wildwood.

Hopefully this is sincere and if there is a serious truss rod problem they'll take care of it with at least splitting the cost of me having it fixed. Or hopefully I take it to a local fender authorized repair center to have it fixed under warranty.
    I know its past the return period but 1 or 2 days is not enough time to determine these problems. Even if I could have detected a loose truss rod somehow I could have sent it right back for nothing, over reacting. I'm not technically inclined with guitars, I just play them.

17. Tone Chase

Tone Chase Tele-Meister

I had a Gibson LP that was perfect when I got it. A week later, after the guitar got used to the ample humidity in my home, a rattle developed in the headstock. A little patience, and a few you tube videos, I made the tweak to the neck with confidence. I wouldn’t lose any sleep over it.

I have a dozen Fender electric guitars, from American Deluxe to a Chinese Squier. I never needed any tweaks to the nut, let alone replace one on a Fender. I know you are a competent musician with a lifetime of experience and would not complain without good reason. Sorry to hear that your expectations were not met, and your issues get resolved.

I know in the ‘80’s I had a complaint about the bridge on my 1983 2 knob Stratocaster bridge that two Fender approved shops could not resolve for me. The Fender rep called me, came to my home, installed a new bridge, and set up my guitar. He also brought me the case candy that was missing at the time of sale, that the music shop in London Ontario, never gave me, or sent to me. I complained until I was heard.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
  18. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

When it comes to the nut I admit I'm a bit of a fanatic. I replace most of them. In this case I want the spacing brought in a bit to compensate for the lack of fret real estate due to the rolled fret edges. I had my tech do it with my Wildwood thin skin 52 tele and it made it more comfortable.

19. macatt

macatt Tele-Holic

Very excessive.
    Turn the truss just enough to tighten it up.
    New nut installed = $50 to $70 US.
    Do your own set up = $0

S Mac

20. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

My tech finally got around to evaluating my guitar and its not good news. No matter where he adjusts the trussrod it rattles and makes noise. The frets are so over bevelled that its tough to play with out the strings falling off the fret board. Not likely going to get much sympathy from Wildwood.
    What are the opinions on my case for a new neck under warranty?
    It kind of pisses me off that Wildwood definitely sent this guitar to me this way even after giving it an evaluation and supposedly setting it up. They should have caught this. So I no longer give any legitimacy to their so called great service. There just really polite guys cause of course they want to sell a guitar. If you have any problems you are on your own.
    I'll never buy another guitar there ever again. Mainly because I'll only shop where I get at least a 30 day evaluation. A 2 day evaluation is not enough time.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.