1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Thin Skin 52 vs 69

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by thattallguy, Apr 22, 2021.

1. thattallguy

thattallguy NEW MEMBER!

Hey everyone this is my first post here. I was just wondering what everyones opinions are regarding owning both a thin skin 52 tele and a thin skin 69 tele.

Basically I recently got a good deal on a 50s thin skin roasted ash strat. It's a beautiful guitar but for some reason it didn't really click with me. The neck is ridiculously fat. I contacted the guys at wildwood about a potential trade with them for a used 69 thin skin thinline tele.

The only thing is that I already have a 52 thin skin tele and I'm not sure if the 69 will be different enough to justify owning both of them.

The 52 has a twisted tele in the neck and a broadcaster in the bridge and the 69 has 2 twisted teles. I've heard that the thinline makes a big difference, and I've also heard that it doesn't.

Thoughts?

2. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Friend of Leo's

Maple vs rosewood board, that alone makes a big difference in feel.

Tone wise, there should not be a huge difference between the two, considering they’ve got the same neck PU.

But you could still keep one with an alternate tuning, or different strings like flatwounds?

If you’re looking for diversity, you should stick with the strat IMO, just find another one that feels right to your hands.

thattallguy likes this.
  3. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

The #1 bad thing about those '69s is, the tuning machines. They're subpar when newly installed, and get worse fairly fast.

Maybe you could shave a smidgen off the neck on the '52. These 2 guitars are different, primarily because of the type of neck construction and neck thickness and the tuning machines. The Thinline aspect could matter, sometimes yes and sometimes no IMO. I've got way too many of these T bodies and while the majority are solid, some of the Thinline construction bodies have some thing going on ( a sort of liveliness when turned up loud ) and the others not necessarily.

Oh, and I happen to prefer the Broadcaster bridge pickup over the Twisted Tele bridge pickup.

Wanted to add, the rosewood is a different feel and the coating is part of that feel. The underlying or real reason these differ is, one has the strunk stripe rout and refill and the other has a separate piece of wood that may wanna expand and contract in a different manner than would the one piece of maple - and of course that's a large expanse of glued surface area.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2021
    thattallguy and Greggorios like this.
  4. Slim Chance

Slim Chance Tele-Afflicted

Get a Jazzmaster, if you don't have one. I have both a '52 & '64 AV Tele and bought an AO JM on a whim. It's as nice as the Teles, but different. The neck, while 9.5", is very similar to the '64's 7.25" in feel. Full C, but no where near as thick as the '52's U. THe JM is a real fun guitar to play and you can even make Tele and Strat sounds with it.

thattallguy likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.