Thicker sounding esquire pickup?

marc2211

Tele-Afflicted
Many thanks for the info and responses everyone - really appreciate all the feedback! Really interesting to know that others with the same guitar face the same issue - both bright and dull definitely describe it...

I just went for a https://tonerider.com/product/alnico-ii-blues-tele/?v=11aedd0e4327 Tonerider Alnico Blues 2 - it sounds like it may do the job, and for 35Euro it's not too expensive to make an error with. I have had great luck with the other Tonerider's in my other guitars, so hopeful it may do the job. From the description:

"Our first Alnico 2 Tele set offers blues and jazz players warm, rich trebles and superb sustain, whilst still maintaining enough tele-twang on the bridge pickup to keep up with country licks. This is our lowest output telecaster set, and lets your guitar ring! In particular, this set works great with a snappier maple fingerboard telecaster, controlling harsh trebles and overly boomy bass notes.

All bridge pickups come with our modified vintage stagger, and are available in right and left-handed models."

Boreas

Poster Extraordinaire
I also have this Squier Esquire (mine is 60s version) and find it to be limited in tonal range, frankly uninspiring to play plugged in. No meat to it, and yet a dull bright sound. Wondering how much of this is the pickup and how much is the body wood (nato).

Mine is pine. HEAVY pine... 9 pounds.

backporchmusic

Poster Extraordinaire
Many thanks for the info and responses everyone - really appreciate all the feedback! Really interesting to know that others with the same guitar face the same issue - both bright and dull definitely describe it...

I just went for a https://tonerider.com/product/alnico-ii-blues-tele/?v=11aedd0e4327 Tonerider Alnico Blues 2 - it sounds like it may do the job, and for 35Euro it's not too expensive to make an error with. I have had great luck with the other Tonerider's in my other guitars, so hopeful it may do the job. From the description:

"Our first Alnico 2 Tele set offers blues and jazz players warm, rich trebles and superb sustain, whilst still maintaining enough tele-twang on the bridge pickup to keep up with country licks. This is our lowest output telecaster set, and lets your guitar ring! In particular, this set works great with a snappier maple fingerboard telecaster, controlling harsh trebles and overly boomy bass notes.

All bridge pickups come with our modified vintage stagger, and are available in right and left-handed models."

Keep us posted on the results. Is yours a 50s or 60s model?

Zoso420

Tele-Holic
How far away is the pickup from the strings? Because the further away the thinner the pickup will sound

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
I have the same guitar and the same issue. I rarely play in the "bridge" position because it is so harsh. BUT, I only play in my living room. This guitar and pickup were not designed for living room noodling. It is a tool to effectively cut through a band mix on stage. I don't play it much for that reason. I am more interested in the 3rd and 2nd switch positions. I get the most pleasing tones in position 2 with the tone rolled off somewhat. I will not swap the pickup, but am considering replacing the control plate with just a V and T pot and no switch, and storing the original. I may put no-load pots in both positions. When done, I am hoping I will bond with it more. Currently, it is like a Ferrari in my garage and I only drive offroad.
I've mentioned before, when I started playing a Telecaster over twenty years ago, I, too, almost NEVER used the bridge p/up on it's own. It sounded shrill and brittle, regardless of what height I adjusted. I used mostly bridge/neck, or neck by itself. I went through probably half a dozen different sets, but was never happy......until I tried the Bootstrap Pretzel. I also installed a left-hand bridge, so the p/up slants AWAY from the saddles on the treble side. Now, when I gig, I use the bridge about 1/3 to 1/2 the time, and not to cut through the mix, but because it just sounds so good. Just sayin', ;)

Old Deaf Roadie

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
I built my Esquire from the ground up to sport a P90, and yes, it is a unique result that can sing or scream. I used standard Eldred schematic. Personally, I would experiment with caps before changing pickups. So many rabbit holes to choose from here.

Ron C

Tele-Holic
...I also installed a left-hand bridge, so the p/up slants AWAY from the saddles on the treble side. Now, when I gig, I use the bridge about 1/3 to 1/2 the time, and not to cut through the mix, but because it just sounds so good. Just sayin', ;)

I'm a believer, too. The most important mod I've ever done on a Tele.
Tele body close up.jpeg

RomanS

Poster Extraordinaire
Do you have to change the routing under the bridge or can you slap a lefty on there?

You have to enlarge the route a bit.
Here's mine:

PXL_20210920_225451385.jpg

The difference isn't huge, but it's there, and it will make your bridge pickup sound slightly more balanced - especially if you like bright, twangy clean tones: even more twang on the low strings, but no danger of ice-picky treble strings.

Ron C

Tele-Holic
You have to enlarge the route a bit.
Here's mine:

View attachment 901260

The difference isn't huge, but it's there, and it will make your bridge pickup sound slightly more balanced - especially if you like bright, twangy clean tones: even more twang on the low strings, but no danger of ice-picky treble strings.
I agree. It even works well with the 12.5K A5 pickup I'm using. The wound strings have a great piano like quality, the twang is all there, it's just that the occasional "ouch!" on the high strings is gone.

Antoon

Tele-Afflicted
Here I go again but a simple 2nF capacitor on the bridge pickup works wonders as well and is very economic.

BTW I only use the bridge pickup in a band situation for a rock type of sound. Not really when when I am playing on my own, unless I use a modulating effect like a flanger or phaser.

KyAnne

Tele-Afflicted
SD li'l '59 should fit right in there. From Clean to Nasty and Ballsy. It's a hum bucker with tele single coil dimensions. No problem with fitting in in.