Thicker Ashtray Bridge Plate manufactures

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by derekirving, Sep 13, 2018.

1. derekirving

derekirving TDPRI Member

I'm looking for a thicker ashtray bridge plate (thicker than the stock fender ashtray). The stock Fender is a bit pingy / thin sounding. I know Rutters and Callaham make thicker ones (thicker than stock Fender and Glendale) but they are a bit rich $$$$ for me. Any in the $50-$60 range that are .075 - .080 inch thick? I don't really need the saddles, just the plate.

I might add I'm not really looking for "more twang" think early 50's Telecaster/Broadcaster (country western, swing, rock n roll, rockabilly)

2. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

Search, been covered in threads a ton of times. plenty of data on thicknesses of quite a few you will find.

I though the Rutter was about the heaviest vintage plate, .10" and heavy coin @ 130.00??

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
  3. jackal

jackal Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

The thickest I know of is the Hipshot. Pricy, but very well made.

4. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Nope.

There's a number of them in the .060 range, but that's not that much thicker than what you're unhappy with.

5. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Perhaps the reason you won't find a cheap one is that the thin ones are simply stamped. The thicker ones must be machined from a block. More waste, more work.

SPUDCASTER likes this.
  6. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

I do you know it's the plate that is causing the sound that you are unhappy with?

7. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Guess you'll just have to save up your shekles.

8. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

What makes you think the sound you are not liking is caused by the bridge, specifically the bridge plate thickness? You would have to already have the thicker one and compare them to really know that for certain. I have the really thick hipshot bridge on one of my guitars and I can't tell you if the bridge is what causes it to sound good or not. I have a stock Fender stamped one on my other guitar and it doesn't sound thin or pingy - though it is very bright. I suspect the thickness of the plate is a minor if not irrelevant factor, though, since I've lots of thin bridge plates and those guitars didn't sound thin or pingy.

9. tele_savales

tele_savales Tele-Meister

The Rutters part is worth the stretch.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.