Thicken Clean Sound At Stage Volume. Fulltone Fat Boost?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by charlieBravo, Jun 29, 2020.

1. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Tele-Afflicted

SS Peavey combo? Dime the mids and treble; set the lows right where any less would sound thin (on my single-HB hardtail Strat, this is 9-10 o’clock).

Now, turn up your clean channel as loud as you can stand. There’s your starting point. Make small adjustments to your highs and lows and see if you can find an EQ “slope” that works with the cranked mids. For me, this ends up bass 2-3, mids 10, highs 10, presence near center (no boost or cut, or not much anyway) and bright switch “on.” On my amp that’s a broad 6 dB peak centered on 2 kHz.

In my case, a slightly different effect might come from turning off the bright but raising the presence, introducing a higher frequency peak. Your amp might have sweepable mids, so you could move the center of your cranked mids around (500-800Hz, for starters?)

Running your amp this way will sound different than a scooped Fender clean tone, but spend a little time with it and see if you find something you like.

while you are doing this, pay extra attention to what your picking hand is doing. You need to choke unwanted sounds, encourage some unexpected but cool chimey sounds, and pick the strings in different places to get the tones. On my guitar, with my Peavey Special 150 (sort of a double Bandit 75), the pedal and lap steel tones happen when I play gently an inch or two from the base of the fretboard. There’s a specific timbre that hangs out right there.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2020
  2. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Delay with the repeats off (1 repeat), set the time to where it goes bum-bum, then shorten the time just until you can't hear the repeat.
    That's fat!

3. King Creole

King Creole Friend of Leo's

You've gotten lots of good and contradictory advice in this thread. Try stuff, including the Fat Boost, and see what meets your personal and unknowable definition of "thick" clean sound. I would just add that for me, a thicker or fatter clean sound relates both to EQ and sustain. Pedal steels have really hot pickups, so you might try a boost to get a hot signal into your amp. Pedal steels also have loads of sustain that the physical realities of fretted standard guitar make impossible. But you can fake it a bit with a good buffer and boost for strong signal, and maybe the judicious use of a compressor.

57fenderstrat and charlieBravo like this.
  4. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I have a nice old Kendrick 5f1 and it does some great stuff in that fat clean range, but there's something I love about a bigger PP circuit like a Hiwatt! Even turned way down I prefer a PP bass response, but my only SE amps are the 5f1 and two Epi VJrs which are really best at full distorted volume. Can't think of other SE amps I've played besides that 1x6L6 Fender from the '80s that was also lacking in my preferred grand piano bass clarity.

I think I tried one of those THD dual SE amps that accepted any power tube including el34 or even KT88, hard to remember though.

In the end I like the extra tube and full tone stack, but generally find more than three preamp tubes for a channel is too much processing for clean sounds.

5. telemnemonics

Yeah I forgot to mention that!
    My settings are a little different with several repeats and barely audible mix, but the same idea.

6. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

do you build any amps or effects yourself? I am thinking that you could build a nice PP high-power amp with a very simple pre-amp. The problem with the big amps for the big-name builders is that they start adding all kinds of features that you may not need.

FenderLover and telemnemonics like this.
  7. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mids first. Every time I think sound needs to be thickened, I now try more mids. It just makes the guitar come alive. Who knew? Oh yeah, literally everyone in the old days.

8. telemnemonics

I've often wanted to build amps but I keep finding great hand wired amps that suit my taste at prices below the cost of the parts!
    I've done a bit of amp modding but I'm better as a guitar tech than amp tech.

9. Telenator

Telenator Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Amplifier tone knobs.

GuitarGeorge likes this.
  10. GFrank

GFrank Tele-Meister

+ 1. The Mojo Mojo does a great job of thickening without goofing with your basic tone.
    And it remains the best pedal I have ever tried into a Vox to add gain/OD for edge-of-breakup tones without coloring the tone at all - with the treble knob at 3:00. Only 'downside' is that it won't add any compression, which may or may not be a good thing for some.

Twang Deluxe likes this.
  11. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

there's only one problem here, MM. Crank up the mids, and your guitar comes to life - for you!

For the audience, that's all they hear, and they get pretty tired of hearing it, pretty quick.

For the rest of the band - you have just stamped your foot all over the frequency spectrum, and nothing they play really matters anymore. They are now just going through the motions. That's OK, though, because we know everybody came to hear the guitar tonight!

You're rocking, feeling it! You look over at the singer. He is scowling... what a killjoy! He turns to the monitor mixer and gestures angrily, "turn up the monitors, I can't hear myself!"

Just another night in "the old days"....

12. Timmay

Timmay TDPRI Member

A different speaker may give you the tone you're looking for as well. The Eminence Texas Heat REALLY fattened up my Red Stripe bandits tone. I currently have one in my Special 130 too. I like them alot. They're fat and warm similar to a hempcone speaker, but without losing the chimey high end. To my ear anyhow. YMMV. I've tried a Cannabis Rex in several amps, and just don't care for it. Sounds like somebody threw a blanket over the amp.

13. GuitarGeorge

GuitarGeorge Tele-Meister

Turn the amp up and the guitar down

57fenderstrat and charlieBravo like this.
  14. charlieBravo

charlieBravo TDPRI Member

Wonderful input from everyone. Thank you.

I'm going to try increasing the amp volume and then adjust using the guitar volume, first. Then Ill try the EQ.

I love my Peavey sound and would prefer not to alter it too drastically if it can be avoided.

15. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

My son has an EP Booster and I love it (..I have borrowed it now and then) . But I recently bought the full size Spark Booster pedal with the 3-way switch (Fat/Clean/Mids) and it does everything the EP Booster does, and then some. Far greater EQ options with the Spark, and you can use a battery if necessary as well as an external PS.

16. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I find quite the opposite. With a mid rich sound, I occupy my slice in the mix without excess volume.

With a mid scoop, I hear people turn up to compensate and ruin the mix.

You might have been sarcastic though. Can’t quite tell.

codamedia and Timmay like this.
  17. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

This. Keep the gain all the way down and just use the bass, treble, and volume knobs. Note: The bass and treble knobs work as tone cuts.

upload_2020-6-29_16-0-53.jpeg

Brett Valentine and charlieBravo like this.
  18. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

My MXR Microamp served me well for nearly 40 years in that role.

Very transparent boost to goose the amp into natural compression.

19. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Tele-Afflicted

I'd suggest a klon/klone with the gain down, tone and output to taste - the klon circuit tends to fatten things up and I love what my klone does for strat and tele.

Another thought is the Ibanez BB-9 - it does a good job at this and barely adds hair when gain is all the way up - its about fattening things up.

Any pedal that gives a boost to lower mids and doesn't cut bass (like TS-styles do) I think will be a good option as long as you keep the gain down - Timmy, Boss OD-3, etc.

Hope you find something tasty

basher and 57fenderstrat like this.
  20. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Tele-Afflicted

One thing I’ve found, which I didn’t really expand on above but maybe should have, is that if you get a big fat powerful clean sound, it works best if you adjust your playing approach. Play less! Make the notes count, and make them interesting! Vary the approach and timbre from phrase to phrase...but since you’ve become a blaring mastodon of tone, Remember to leave space around what you play so the whole ensemble comes through.

codamedia likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.