Thick Strat Necks....Who's the thickest?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Ripdoozer, Oct 25, 2017.

1. paulo6

paulo6 Tele-Meister

I was recently in the same boat as you, owning a Baja Tele and finding the neck on my 1989 Strat Plus just too slim. So I sold the Strat and bought a Mexican CP 50s Strat (sunburst) and couldn't be happier. I wouldn't say it's neck is quite as chunky as the Baja's, but it's is certainly more comfy to play than the Strat Plus and the pick ups are obviously more "vintage" sounding.

2. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

My pics aren't as good as @felis made, but my ST 54 is 0.97" at the first fret, which is bigger than my CP50s at the 12th.
    profile.png

felis likes this.
  3. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

As has been mentioned, the older Jeff Beck Strat necks are huge, some of the Jimmie Vaughan Strat necks are pretty big too.
    I had a Robert Cray Strat neck (MIM) and it was fairly big, a very comfortable neck.

I currently have an American Special Strat , it has a great feeling neck, I had a Baja Tele and could easily swap back and forth between it and the Am Special.

4. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Music Zoo does (did?) a special run called NoNeck Strats (similar to Wildwood '10's). The main feature being a fat U Nocaster neck profile. Strat headstock and heel, of course.

Always wanted one.

One of my favorite necks on any guitar is my CS '57, which has a chunky soft V (.925 x 1.05). Kinda huge, but it's cut perfectly for my hand.

5. koolaide

koolaide Tele-Holic

I loves me a fat neck. I like a v, or baseball bat, long as it is FAT and chunky.

6. bluesky1963

bluesky1963 Tele-Afflicted

IIRC, the SRV signature Strats have pretty chunky necks. At least the one's I've played did. It's been years, though.

7. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

When the Jeff Beck model came out he said it was patterned after his '54 LP but a little bigger. Those are great. The new ones are skinnier.

8. t guitar floyd

t guitar floyd Tele-Holic

Congrats! A '56 RI is what I'd like . . . great neck, and the more you play it, the more you should get used to it. The one I used to play at my favorite guitar shop was also lightweight and resonant!

Teleterr likes this.
  9. Ripdoozer

Ripdoozer Tele-Meister

Well.....

Here's another update. I no longer have the AVRI. As I was setting it up I realized a few things.
    -One of the neck screws was badly stripped. No big deal, but I shouldn't have to deal with that.
    -The neck was slightly bowed to the left (if looking down the bridge). This caused the low E string to dance precariously on the edge of the frets....drove me crazy.

A little back story. I am a drummer. Have been for most of my life. I traded a bunch of old drum gear that I didn't need to get this guitar. I am barely a guitar player. I know lots of chords, but my leads are limited to noodling in Pentatonics and just a few positions on the board.

So, I made a decision to trade the AVRI for a New MIM Classic Series 60's Strat. I also got a Electro Harmonix Pitchfork pedal for my Eb and Capo stuff, a Cry Baby Mini Wah, a TC Eletronic clip on polytune. A fender molded hard case and 5 sets of strings.

I know I lost value on this trade, but I don't really care. My new MIM is very similar to the AVRI (7.25" radius, vintage frets, vintage "Style" pickups), and I got a rosewood board back (I missed it).
    The MIM will serve me well, and can serve as a good platform for mods and I can make a beast of a guitar with it over time.

The thing I will miss the most, is that chunky neck profile on the AVRI, which is what brought me to that guitar in the first place. But, I like the neck on the MIM and over time, it will become super comfy.

So, call me dumb, silly, stupid, an idiot....but please tell me that I made a wise choice too, because right now....2 days later....I'm kind of regreting it.

D'oh!

Mac

10. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Curious @Ripdoozer what you meant by the edges on the 56 AVRI being "so rolled" and it being not so thick from top to bottom?
    Sounds like a V?
    I arrived late to the thread but was thinking that an awful lot of fat necks are also V necks, which I cannot stand.
    I have a great great early '80s tokai strat with a huge V neck and can't really play it because of the sort of sharp edge at the fingerboard where the side of my finger levers for bends and butterfly vibrato.
    I just got a soft V Esquire style neck with not truss rod that is another full 1" thick neck all the way to the nut, and while it's not perfect it does have enough shoulder to be comfortable.

Is this what you meant by the edges being "so rolled"?
    AFAIK "rolled edge" refers to the top edge of the fingerboard, sometimes even only between the frets, rolled like from years of wear, which feels comfortable.
    Just for the sake of clarity when discussing finding the right neck and what makes it so.
    A U neck will have the broadest edge, then D, C, and a V will have that narrow edge, which is even sharper on a hard V than on a soft V.

I suspect that player who fret with their thumb will get the most benefit from a V.

The idea that anything other than the electronics has a sound associated is a dangerous one around here, but I would swear that this no truss rod huge soft V Esquire neck has a more sharp clear crisp sound than other necks.
    Huge necks sound better?
    No truss rod necks sound different?

11. Ripdoozer

Ripdoozer Tele-Meister

I believe the literature referred to the AVRI neck as a "Soft V".

What I meant when I mentioned the frets being "rolled" is that there is what almost seems like a flat section on the very top and bottom of the neck/fretboard....where the fret ends are. I liked it because I could palm the neck and hang my thumb over and it was comfortable, but the strings were really close to the ends of the frets. That combined with the slight curve in the neck soured me on that guitar and I couldn't get over it. I just struggled with the strings falling off of the FB when I would rub some vibrato on it.

telemnemonics likes this.
  12. joebloggs13

joebloggs13 Tele-Holic

I played a tele in a store a little while ago....it had an early style neck....similar to the ones Leo first made with no truss rod in it...the thing was a BASEBALL BAT!! Didn't feel right at all. It was also gloss, which I do not like.

13. Ripdoozer

Ripdoozer Tele-Meister

Last edited: Nov 16, 2017
  14. t guitar floyd

If it's the right choice for you, then it's a wise choice! I posted above about how much I love a '56 RI, but yours sounded like the issues it had were going to be difficult. I do love the MIM Classics, have a Classic '50s myself and it's what I can afford that gets me pretty close, feelwise, to a US RI.
    I've played a '60s Classic and am quite smitten with that rosewood neck as well. So, feel good about it; you did alright! :)

15. Ripdoozer

Ripdoozer Tele-Meister

Ha! Love the positivity. Thanks man....

Last edited: Nov 16, 2017
  16. Ripdoozer

Ripdoozer Tele-Meister

17. t guitar floyd

No biggie. Coat the board with mineral oil, let it soak in for a few minutes then wipe off the excess. As long as that fret is seated properly, it shouldn't give any problems.

Let us see the rest of the guitar. :)

18. Ripdoozer

Ripdoozer Tele-Meister

She Purdy!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1lP223TmACik0ZA3XL0zUU7JcT8yGIoFJ8Q/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/11VgY7maMGbcBXDKDR28vPnLtUaSfSA09wQ/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1oYIJ2G2EDRNbW8C_yFDQzyrjmszno7I2XQ/view?usp=sharing

t guitar floyd likes this.
  19. btlnckr

btlnckr TDPRI Member

Yep with double Lace's right?

20. LowThudd

LowThudd Friend of Leo's

Strato50 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.