Thick pickers, convince me to change

Doomguy

Tele-Meister
I only use thicker picks. I warm up with 3.0 stubbies for 20 minutes or so and move on to 2.0 Ernie Ball Prodigies after that, the jazz shaped ones. Makes the 2.0 feel lighter, helps me go a bit faster. I love thick picks but I only really play metal, I can't tremolo pick or alternate picks with thinner picks too well.

Phrygian77

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Am I wrong in my experience that thinner picks allow the strings to bounce off of them rather than just thudding into the strings with thicker ones?

I have a strange feeling that the longer you play over the years, the stiffer the pick is desired. Just a theory.

As you get older or if you have nerve damage in your hands, thicker picks are essential. I fall in both categories. I always recommend https://v-picks.com/ for those wishing to try a quality pick - thick or not.

Am I one of the few that's gone the other way? I mean, I've been playing for at least 35 years. I always used thick picks up until about 8-9 years ago (also played .011s). Now I use .7 mm picks, which I feel work much better for me, and I don't send picks flying as often.

Frodebro

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Thicker picks are pretty unforgiving of sloppy or loose picking hand technique.

RobRiggs

Tele-Afflicted
I took the advice an old friend gave me years ago. His advice was don’t get to where you need a particular pick to play like you play, change it up so you can use anything. I go back and forth between thicknesses and styles, from 1mm celluloid to a super thick Hodor guitar pick. It works for me.

pi

Tele-Meister
I tried some thicker picks (not extreme) 1.5, 2, 2.5 and 3mm. I am OK with all of them, but still gravitate back to 1 mm (or 0.88 mm) picks.

bottlenecker

Friend of Leo's
Metal picks give you the stiffness without the thickness, and boy do they chirp. I have a pick I made myself from a small sheet of brass, and it works well (and the soft brass doesn't tear up the strings), but it's only for when I'm in the mood.

My favorite thumbpick is a metal one, so I thought I'd try metal. Aluminum, specifically. I have a lot of scrap around to try.

drmordo

Tele-Afflicted
Am I wrong in my experience that thinner picks allow the strings to bounce off of them rather than just thudding into the strings with thicker ones?

A thicker pick allows more control - you can pinch it loosely and get a soft attack like a thin pick, or you can pinch it firmly and dig in to the strings for more attack. For 30 years or so I have used a .88mm or sometimes 1.0mm.

There was a time many years back when I was playing a lot of rhythm guitar and I played a thinner pick, but I gradually came to prefer the 'flexibility' of a thicker pick.

Engine Swap

Friend of Leo's
Played Dunlop Tortex orange for decades, but within the last year worked my way up to the purple ones. Green seems too flexible. Not going back to thin any time soon.

D_Malone

Tele-Holic
Actually, I've found that thicker picks 'bounce' off the strings better; I use the pick almost like a piano hammer, just pinging the tip off the string to sound the note and I'm off to the next one. With thinner picks, I find myself 'digging' more, which is more effort.

Same here. I can pick faster and more precisely with a stiff heavy pick. To me a heavy pick glides over the strings. I don’t like the way thin picks flex and snap off the strings. Just my personal preference.

Obsessed

Telefied
Silver Supporter
Well, according to Collin's video, he says thicker picks require less effort to grip, which may help for older hands. Mine are only 51 and I can still use them just fine, but the day will come I'm sure...

EDIT: I just realilzed I didn't address directly what you were saying. Maybe it's just we all learned on guitar-store celluloids, and only got turned on to thicker picks when we had developed the skill necessary to use them correctly, which does take a few years. Or more...
Aha, your idea just might be what is happening to me … either way.:oops:

Obsessed

Telefied
Silver Supporter
Am I one of the few that's gone the other way? I mean, I've been playing for at least 35 years. I always used thick picks up until about 8-9 years ago (also played .011s). Now I use .7 mm picks, which I feel work much better for me, and I don't send picks flying as often.
Well crap, there goes my theory.:oops:

edvard

Friend of Leo's
I'm becoming a pretty thick picker...I'd say cut back on the beer and eat more salads.

Guilty. Though I don't drink, but my lovely wife still makes the same amount of dinner even though our son has been out of the house for 4 years now. :oops:

edvard

Friend of Leo's
I only use thicker picks. I warm up with 3.0 stubbies for 20 minutes or so and move on to 2.0 Ernie Ball Prodigies after that, the jazz shaped ones. Makes the 2.0 feel lighter, helps me go a bit faster. I love thick picks but I only really play metal, I can't tremolo pick or alternate picks with thinner picks too well.

I've discovered this as well; I'm not that good with tremolo picking in the first place, but a thicker pick does make my lame attempts seem passable.

edvard

Friend of Leo's
I took the advice an old friend gave me years ago. His advice was don’t get to where you need a particular pick to play like you play, change it up so you can use anything. I go back and forth between thicknesses and styles, from 1mm celluloid to a super thick Hodor guitar pick. It works for me.

I guess maybe this is where I'd like to be; I've long loathed thicker picks because I couldn't stand the change in tone. Now that I know better how to handle a thicker pick, it's not so big of a deal, so I'm exploring and pushing against my own boundaries at the same time.

edvard

Friend of Leo's
Played Dunlop Tortex orange for decades, but within the last year worked my way up to the purple ones. Green seems too flexible. Not going back to thin any time soon.

The green Tortex Flow picks I recently got don't flex much at all, probably because they're smaller than a standard 351 shape, so there's less to flex, but I hear ya.