They'll never be another SRV.

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
SRV was who he was, and you can choose to like him, love him, or not.

My issue....( and it's maybe due to the fact that I have just been around electric and acoustic Blues music since listening to my dad's Big Band records> forward...)

.... is that for, so many guitar players ( predominantly rock players) their blues awareness never.been much broader than early Clapton, Hendrix, SRV, Jimmy Page, Gary Moore, etc.
(I can't include Johnny Winter as IMO, he was on his own Blues planet and I worship him).

They go for the guitarists that really were powerful - hit you over the head with Blues, and NO ONE was stronger at that, than SRV.
It's this 'blues guitar hero' attraction...

But this is just so narrow, when you look at how broad the Blues really was, and so many people either have only heard this small sampling?

Or maybe they have and just don't like it the way I do.
So I ( and I played SRV stuff in the '90's) sort of think of SRV as a double edge sword:
He brought the Blues to the rockers, but it's so strong, it blocked out the nuance and variety of the genre
Just my take.

brookdalebill

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I’ve never been a blues fanatic.
I guess I’m a typical Boomer guitar player.
I started out liking the rock/pop music of my youth, and later explored country, R&B, soul, swing and jazz.
I’ll cop, I’m a dilettante.
I’m definitely not a chauvinist for any bag/style.
Normally, I don’t like a lot of soloing.
I don’t like to do it, or listen to it.
Where SRV got my attention was how well he sang.
His playing matched his singing, IMO.
It felt real.
He was able to sustain that.
Perhaps that’s why he is remembered so fondly.

Wally

Telefied
Ad Free Member
They go for the guitarists that really were powerful - hit you over the head with Blues, and NO ONE was stronger at that, than SRV.
It's this 'blues guitar hero' attraction...
I saw Buddy Guy here in Lubbock in the late ‘90s. In the middle of the concert, he had this presentation where he asked if anyone knew who SRV was….rowdy applause…after which gUy said…’Well, I do SRV!” And he proceeded to NAIL Stevie’s licks and intensity. He then did the same for Clapton and Hendrix….copped them,perfectly. Then he said..”But I am Buddy Guy, and this is what I do!”…and proceeded to play with an intensity and authenticity that it established unmistakenly that HE had been, was, and would continue to be a seminal blues guitarist of profound influence And originality. I heard this as well when I caught him on David Letterman doing “Mary Had a Little Lamb”….in a way that SRV could try to emulate.