They'll never be another SRV.

Jazzcaster21

Tele-Holic
There are more than a few "Reaction" channels on youtube, where these younger folks from all walks of life react to different songs they're hearing for the first time. I especially enjoy the SRV reactions. Here is one recently where this young man is watching Texas Flood and seeing SRV live for the first time ever. His reaction is priceless. :)

And then he asks "I wonder if this cat is still playing today".
This is one of the worst thing about YouTube: reaction videos. Who cares?? :rolleyes:
More power to the people (and there are many as you can see) who are making money from it however. Who would have thought that watching people react to music that they typically would not listen to would be so popular?

Flaneur

Poster Extraordinaire
django2.jpg

Peter Graham

TDPRI Member
"There will never be another [insert name of any major guitar hero here]"

BBC 6 music (great station, by the way) have an enhanced version of this.

1. Bring in low-rent talking head the day after [musician] dies.

2. "There will never be another [insert name of musician here]."

3. "After I heard [insert name of early song by musician], nothing was ever the same again."

4. Presenter chips in.

5. "There is so much love for [musician]. What a loss that [musician's] life was cut so tragically short by their [demons/problems/desire to drive sports cars at 150 miles an hour whilst utterly hammered/raging smack habit - delete as applicable].

6. Presenter and talking head agree that [musician] really, genuinely, truly changed everything and then embark on an ostensibly supportive but faintly passive aggressive competition about who knew [musician] best or who has the funniest story about something that [musician] did or said after a gig at the Boston Gliderdrome in 1967.

Big_Bend

Poster Extraordinaire
This is one of the worst thing about YouTube: reaction videos. Who cares?? :rolleyes:
More power to the people (and there are many as you can see) who are making money from it however. Who would have thought that watching people react to music that they typically would not listen to would be so popular?

To each their own, but obviously a lot of youtubers including myself, we enjoy many of the reaction channels and the people making them.

I just watched this one earlier today, and Da Real Adogg here had me grinning the entire time with this Allman Brothers song reaction.

I think its cool that he really appreciated the song with his first hearing.... whats not to like.

Cheers

loudboy

Tele-Holic
When I hear Scuttlebuttin’’, something about the speed and rawness makes me think of Johnny Winter. I have to think that SRV saw and heard Johnny Winter when Stevie was young.
That goes without saying.

And Johnny listened to a lot of Gatemouth Brown.

The speedy little slides and slur stuff are all directly from him.

pedro58

Tele-Meister
I'm skeptical about the first reaction videos. And, like another person mentioned, why would I watch a stranger's reaction to something new in a video? Weird.

And SRV was intense. Try to play a set of his material with the same energy. I can't do it.

takauya

Tele-Meister
I think reaction video channels are sort of music critics of today. And generally people love to share what they love especially when they know they get only positive reactions. lol

Wally

Telefied
Ad Free Member
That goes without saying.

And Johnny listened to a lot of Gatemouth Brown.

The speedy little slides and slur stuff are all directly from him.

I saw Gatemouth Brown in the sunshine and mud of a New Orleans Jazz Festival…circa 1979??. That man could make a guitar talk long before the TalkBox was invented.
Honky Tonk……staple for every Texas guitar player back in the day.

drmordo

Friend of Leo's
I think reaction video channels are sort of music critics of today. And generally people love to share what they love especially when they know they get only positive reactions. lol

I love this take on reaction vids because not only do I hate those vids, I also despise music critics.

Si G X

Friend of Leo's
There'll never be another SRV. I am the spelling police. I am the Walrus. Sorry, I couldn't resist.

No need to say sorry, thanks for clearing that up...

I was just about to ask 'who wont ever be another SRV?' I was very confused.

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
No need to say sorry, thanks for clearing that up...

I was just about to ask 'who wont ever be another SRV?' I was very confused.
Us boomers are referring to those KIDS TODAY, saying they will never be another SRV if they keep coming up like Billie Eilish!

ruger9

Poster Extraordinaire
Ad Free Member
When I hear Scuttlebuttin’’, something about the speed and rawness makes me think of Johnny Winter. I have to think that SRV saw and heard Johnny Winter when Stevie was young.
It is sad that SRV did not get to live a longer life.

Indeed... because he was going someplace very interesting (and awesome) if "Riviera Paradise" was any indication...