They said it couldn't be done...We DID it!

dickey

Friend of Leo's
Because I'm getting older & grouchier, gigging has become a real PITA. My biggest issue is the musical ignorance of most audiences; dunno what's it's like in y'all's neck of the woods, but in my area,(West Central Florida) the only thing the people know here is metal, classic rock & southern, and believe me...I am SO sick to death of that crap. So, last year, I got together with a friend & we put an ad out for band members. I told them "we are sick to death of playing 'what the people wanna hear', or 'something we can dance to'. We wanna play what we like, and if they like it, they will come...if not, we won't work & we'll abandon the project.

Fast forward a year later. We are now so booked up, including weekdays, that we hafta turn gigs down. We do NOT call clubs anymore; they call us from our reputation looking to hire us. Just this weekend we got 13 bookings throughout the year, without dialing ONE PHONE NUMBER! And we play the music we love; the hell with whether or not you can "dance to it". But they DO!

This has gotten really big really fast. What was our secret?

In a town overrun by bands doing Skynyrd,Allmans,Petty,Fleetwood,and tired old bar band crap, we decided to give the people something different. But...not just different. My motto has always been "nostalgia sells", because people today are pretty disillusioned with the world & society in general, so let's give them music that brings them back to a happier & simple time; a time where music was the most important thing in most people's lives; even non-musicians. Let's do nothing but 50's & 60's, especially British Invasion & surf. And maybe a little classic country, so I have an excuse to bring the pedal steel.

And it has WORKED! You would not believe how wild people go for our playlist, which includes The Dave Clark 5, The Monkees, Herman's Hermits, Gerry & the Pacemakers,Freddie & the Dreamers,the Outsiders, The Searchers,Johnny Mathis,the Platters,Elvis,The Ventures, and all the "feel good" music we grew up with. It is REALLY great to have a clubowner call US up & say "hey your that 60's band,right? We want you!!" When the occasional audience member comes up to us & asks for Skynyrd, we tell them "sorry; we don't do Southern or Classic Rock" When they ask why, we say "we figure every other band in Tampa Bay does that stuff, & we are SO tired of it, and we figured most people here are, too".

Turns out we were right!

StoneH

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter
1643055745625.png

hemingway

Poster Extraordinaire
You had me rooting for you until you mentioned The Dave Clark 5, The Monkees, Herman's Hermits, Gerry & the Pacemakers, Freddie & the Dreamers, the Outsiders. That's all the stuff we Brits sent there hoping it wouldn't come back.

But good luck to you. Playing what you like and making it work. Win-win.

stxrus

Poster Extraordinaire
You went in with a good attitude and it worked. Bravo!
It could have just as easily failed but it didn’t
You are actually giving folks what they want to hear, they just didn’t know it

I like new and refreshing things. When it works it’s fantastic

boxocrap

Tele-Afflicted
Because I'm getting older & grouchier, gigging has become a real PITA. My biggest issue is the musical ignorance of most audiences; dunno what's it's like in y'all's neck of the woods, but in my area,(West Central Florida) the only thing the people know here is metal, classic rock & southern, and believe me...I am SO sick to death of that crap. So, last year, I got together with a friend & we put an ad out for band members. I told them "we are sick to death of playing 'what the people wanna hear', or 'something we can dance to'. We wanna play what we like, and if they like it, they will come...if not, we won't work & we'll abandon the project.

Fast forward a year later. We are now so booked up, including weekdays, that we hafta turn gigs down. We do NOT call clubs anymore; they call us from our reputation looking to hire us. Just this weekend we got 13 bookings throughout the year, without dialing ONE PHONE NUMBER! And we play the music we love; the hell with whether or not you can "dance to it". But they DO!

This has gotten really big really fast. What was our secret?

In a town overrun by bands doing Skynyrd,Allmans,Petty,Fleetwood,and tired old bar band crap, we decided to give the people something different. But...not just different. My motto has always been "nostalgia sells", because people today are pretty disillusioned with the world & society in general, so let's give them music that brings them back to a happier & simple time; a time where music was the most important thing in most people's lives; even non-musicians. Let's do nothing but 50's & 60's, especially British Invasion & surf. And maybe a little classic country, so I have an excuse to bring the pedal steel.

And it has WORKED! You would not believe how wild people go for our playlist, which includes The Dave Clark 5, The Monkees, Herman's Hermits, Gerry & the Pacemakers,Freddie & the Dreamers,the Outsiders, The Searchers,Johnny Mathis,the Platters,Elvis,The Ventures, and all the "feel good" music we grew up with. It is REALLY great to have a clubowner call US up & say "hey your that 60's band,right? We want you!!" When the occasional audience member comes up to us & asks for Skynyrd, we tell them "sorry; we don't do Southern or Classic Rock" When they ask why, we say "we figure every other band in Tampa Bay does that stuff, & we are SO tired of it, and we figured most people here are, too".

Turns out we were right!
good on you guys..i'd go and see ya...now that you posted this..everyone is gonna do it..and southern rock bands etc will be the oddity..haha full circle..not really but it was a funny ironic thought for me for a moment

Chester P Squier

Friend of Leo's
Great! And I'm a little envious.

My two younger brothers and I used to jam on Beatle songs every year when we got together at Christmas time. I had hoped we could reach that point where we could play such gigs, doing ‘50s and ‘60s material, but we lived too far apart.

Last edited:

Duck Herder

Tele-Meister
Love to hear that!
Basically all the stuff that I am exploring, all the stuff that was playing before I bought my first AM radio, a Webcor for $4 because it was discounted for being a demo and had the marks on the body from the u-bolts that held it to the peg board.
Another reason to move to Florida!

Telekarster

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
Now.... if you wanna really blow their socks off, work up anything from the following:

Buddy Holly and the Crickets
Little Richard
Jerry Lee Lewis
Dion and the Belmonts
Bill Haley and the Comets
The Dominos
Eddie Cochran

Just to name a few ;) Congrats on finding a winning formula man! Keep it up and rock on!