They need to re-name the switch

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Milspec, May 17, 2020.

1. Milspec

Milspec Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

As I got older, my hearing no longer picks up the bass tones that well and I gravitated to brighter tones. A reality that seems to be rather common for many people as we age (BB King played mostly the treble stings for the same reason).

I think the "bright" switch should be labeled "age" switch on all future amps.:)

Just another example of Leo Fender's brilliance.

2. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

With all respect, I think you misunderstand your hearing loss. Most of us lose high frequency hearing, so you're accentuating those tones to compensate.
    On a related note, my mom's audiologist explains to me, the "end consonant" sounds of words are what we use to actually determine those words. Since those consonant sounds are in the high frequency range, that is why it's so difficult to understand speech sometimes. We HEAR things being spoken, but have trouble understanding. When people get proper hearing aids, they have to be adjusted and "tuned" for the high frequency loss. People often make the mistake of, when dealing with a hard-of-hearing person, to just talk louder. The better solution is to talk distinctly (and enunciate well) and slow down a little. ;)

zook, schmee, drf64 and 1 other person like this.
  3. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

All my guitar playing life I have used the bright switch with humbucking pickups.
    I never use it with single coils.
    I read an interview with Joe Walsh in a now ancient Guitar Player magazine where he explained that he always used the bright switch on Fender amps, specifically Super Reverbs.
    I was in high school when I read it, so it was long ago.
    I never forgot his advice.
    Anyways, I still use it, because all but one of my guitars has humbuckers.
    I still have to EQ my amp differently for every playing situation I find myself in.

Milspec and nojazzhere like this.
  4. MrGibbly

MrGibbly Tele-Afflicted

There are definitely changes in hearing and vision that seem to affect our tastes as we age. Loss of high frequency hearing means I tend to seek our more upper middle and treble without even realizing it. Changes in the eye have shifted preferences for certain colors. A migration of “flesh” from once muscled areas to visceral squishy spots changes the cut of clothes selected. Needing to get up to pee results in, “oh well, not worth going back to sleep at this point” early mornings. I could go on......

Jlwctn, Milspec, Tim S and 1 other person like this.
  5. dkevin

dkevin Tele-Meister

I wonder if Leo understood that he was losing low frequency hearing and constantly readjusting his electronics to yield more and more high frequency content. Can we trace the deterioration of his hearing in the product lines of Tweed amps vs Blackfaced amps? I have a G&L F100 that I think Leo designed in his later years. It was very thin and treble voiced in certain positions.

6. Milspec

Milspec Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Now that would be a very interesting study.

7. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

Maybe Leo wasn't referring to tone.....:lol:

Milspec likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.