They killed my favorite computer.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by imwjl, Jul 11, 2019.

1. Big_Bend

Big_Bend Poster Extraordinaire

I miss my TRS-80

upload_2019-7-11_13-27-6.png

Those cassette tapes for storage were wonderful.

Steve 78 and uriah1 like this.
  2. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

typing this on a MacBook 12 -- though not actually on the keyboard -- hooked up to external mouse / keyboard / monitor / ssd. Seriously great setup, everything I'm working on can go anywhere with me, just unplug & go. Mine has the first-generation butterfly keyboard, though, and has already been replaced once. The Air looks sweet but bigger & heavier. Oh well -- get a few more years out of mine, I imagine.

imwjl likes this.
  3. MattyK-USA

MattyK-USA Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

The 128 had the 64 and the CP/M built in, so you got the best of all worlds. It was a great computer.

The good news is that VICE is a Commodore emulator you can run on whatever machine you've got. It does Vic20, C64, 128, PET, etc. etc. Go for it!

http://vice-emu.sourceforge.net/

4. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

It seems like those who know these laptops get it, and I realize it's a niche item they moved on from. As said, I also provision Windows laptops to our users but honestly, nothing's been as slim and nice and capable as these little guys. The Windows models I tried did not have as much battery life.

Other suggestions are appreciated but this is my main on the move tool as an enterprise admin so I don't do used or cheap stuff. The new Air will have some more power but... It is much like my amateur music stuff doesn't have same demands as a gigging pro.

1. What's going to happen to my bike commute almost as fast as the car without a 2 pound laptop?
    2. How am I going to be one of those who zip through the physical part of TSA and customs as fast as possible?

:)

5. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Tele-Afflicted

Its all used cheap stuff eventually. Thank god for selfless souls like yourself paying full retail so i can buy it for pennies on the dollar when the enterprise upgrades and scraps everything that was perfect yesterday, but is now trash.

I love early adopters, they subsidize my life style..

6. raito

raito Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I miss the 17” aluminum MacBook Pro. Even though mine still works.

7. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Friend of Leo's

I'm jealous of y'all.

I cursed the vile Macs. Straight up a month after my warranty expired on my beauty of a mac book (the biggest size screen IIRC) the sucker fizzled out. Took it to a computer buddy, he thought it might be the hard disk but after fiddling with it he said it was something worse. I mean, I took out a huge student loan to get that sucker cause at the time all the software we used in the computer music lab at school was os based.

Meanwhile I've had pawn shop thinkpads last for years & years & years.....

Cursed brand, I spit on it...screw me once!!!

8. imwjl

Enterprise technology is generally way more conservative than early adoption. It's easy to see why. Multiply the cost of a few hour or $ few thousand mistake by hundreds and thousands. Calculate what not doing business for minutes, hours or days costs.

It is hard to think any or many enterprises are paying list price but some used enterprise computers and gear can be a good value.

9. Steve 78

Steve 78 Tele-Afflicted

I still have an old Apple IIe in the garage. Needs a cap job though.

uriah1 likes this.
  10. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I still have my Amiga 2000 , with Video toaster , Opalvision Card and NCTV , and a balmy 25 mHZ accellorator, beefed up to 33Mhz , 2gig HD and 8megs of ram, a graphics powerhouse of the day

Commodore_Amiga2000_System_1.jpg

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
  11. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I thought 128 mode might be interesting if you write BASIC programs, although you could get that with a Super Expander cartridge on the 64.

I tried VICE and was kind of annoyed it didn't have a full screen mode, although it was an older version, I don't know about it now.

12. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I spent 3 years learning ms dos on a Amstrad computer and people wonder why I have no interest in keeping up with the latest tech.

I say learning but most of the time I was just playing asteroids and copying the exam answers from the guy next to me. I bet he really feels ripped off.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
    uriah1 and 24 track like this.
  13. MattyK-USA

MattyK-USA Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

You could program in BASIC on the Vic 20, C64 or 128 just fine. I learned it on the Timex Sinclair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

uriah1 likes this.
  14. ifallalot

ifallalot Tele-Afflicted

I moved to a tiny MacBook Air and bought a QNAP network attached storage for the house

Computing is almost moving to the old terminal and mainframe situation

15. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Of course you can, but you have to use poke commands for graphics and sound on the VIC20 or C64.

16. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Tele-Afflicted

24 track likes this.
  17. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

18. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I still have a functioning Coleco Adam.

magicfingers99 likes this.
  19. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

My town has an Apple refurbisher called iPower Resale. Great deals, and they guarantee their work. I’ve been a Linux guy but finally let myself be assimilated into the Borg. I have a dysfunctional relationship with Apple stuff. Annoyed by its limited ability to customize, higher price, and how they make you do it their way, but resigned to reality that less tweaking is usually needed. More like a trusty appliance.

imwjl likes this.
  20. imwjl

In a way I use Linux all day long but it had really only been practical for the enterprise and networking stuff I do. Now I'm at both of my data center sites running Nutanix so you could say Linux rules my life. Unfortunately Linux has not been good for a lot of work related personal productivity and same for outside of work. Think of all the features you can have with printing, your phone and wrist watch as a good example. Some software I must use is Windows or Mac software.

Apple's changes make a lot of sense in the context of one of my user's kids and my daughter selecting systems for college, and some other users who've asked me what to get for personal use.

A lot of the can't customize argument has been thrown out the window for a while now. We provision far more Windows stuff than Apple and you see the best and/or what users like for Windows systems is no longer a "white box" or generic parts computer. It's highly engineered and with specialty manufacturing. One can still build a personal computer but that is not something many people do these days.

The refurbished stuff can be a really good value and especially because we're years into most users able to get a long life span when they get a system. I always have at least 1-2 systems - a laptop at minimum and at times a desktop that were bought new and under support for work. I let some personal items get very old. Some new and cutting edge items help keep my sanity and freedom because so much of my time is on call.

It's not like I don't get to customize things. There's a frustratingly large amount of customization when you keep all the stuff in an enterprise running.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.