1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

They can put a man on the moon, but...

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Hatfield92, Oct 28, 2019.

1. Hatfield92

Hatfield92 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I just started thinking yesterday, while pondering the headache that is background noise, why don’t all amps include a built in noise gate? You’d think, with modern technology being what it is, installing a built in adjustable noise gate would be as basic in all amps as a power cord. A standard feature.

I mean, come on Fender. My $5.99 Garage Band app has a great built in noise gate as one of its many features. Why can’t you guys get with the times? Including one wouldn’t hurt the overall voice of the speaker one bit. The cost would be minimal, particularly in such modern amps as the tonemaster series.

2. TeleTex82

TeleTex82 Friend of Leo's

I always assumed that amps with onboard effects also had a noise gate. I guess they don't?

3. muscmp

muscmp Tele-Afflicted

i never thought i needed one. if an amp has that much noise it may need looking at.

play music!

jimash likes this.
  4. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Gate on my Eleven Rack works really well. Sometimes I'll call up a patch which was dialed in for way more gain and my notes cut off prematurely. It's easy enough to either turn it off or turn the threshold down and the release time up so that it's essentially transparent.

5. tamer_of_banthas

tamer_of_banthas Tele-Holic

i get radio stations through my marshall more often than not. sometimes it will bleed through into some of my effects. it's cool if you can make a loop with it and then distort / degrade the loop of whatever is bleeding through. especially if it is the classical station.

Digital Larry likes this.
  6. mistermikev

mistermikev Tele-Holic

there's a lot of reasons not to - expense being a good one.
    noise gate on the axefxiii is perhaps the best ever made... yet the guys who's tone I admire the most all turn it off. they turn it off because the noise gates employs freq attenuation to achieve lower noise. even if you didn't use that aspect of the noise gate, the vol gate part of it - even when really dialed in... will often stop a note from ringing to silence.
    long story long... not everyone wants a noise gate on... esp all the time. I think you are a lot better off getting rid of any/all noise before you hear it... and once you are at the min possible... leaving it for post recording tweaking. just my 2 cents.

jimash likes this.
  7. horax

horax Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

onbaord sound gates sound like crap from what I've experienced.
    Granted they were from Line 6, but they're silent UNTIL you hit a note. Then that gate opens to let the sound through, and THAT'S when you hear the background noise.

8. jimash

jimash Friend of Leo's

I dislike gates. I avoid even gating drums.

9. RottenTheCat

RottenTheCat Tele-Holic

Yeah well, The Professor could build an xray machine from three coconuts, but couldn't patch a damn hole in a boat! Go figure!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.