They are coming for your home studio

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by RL52, Oct 10, 2019.

1. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

The neighborhood of East Nashville is where Berry Hill was 25 years ago. East Nashville is growing. There are tons of new businesses popping up over there every single week... and yes, in former residential structures. My guess is that Lij will win in the long run... but it may take a lot of patients.

Wildcard_35 and MDent77 like this.
  2. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

“but it may take a lot of patients.” Is this to say that Lij Shaw is providing commercial recording for medically or psychiatrically challenged musicians????? (;^) rimshot....couldn’t help myself.

Wildcard_35 and TheGoodTexan like this.
  3. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Poster Extraordinaire

The studios in issue are definitely not true "home studios" and no one is coming for yours or mine.

The state and local governments have the police powers to regulate and zoning, business licensing, etc. fit into it. The Institute for Justice is doing some good work fighting frivolous regs and licensing requirements in some areas, such as the requirements for doing hair extensions for women in some places, but it is off base on this one and I believe the judge got it right. The people can fight it outside the courts to decide what the ordinances say.

---

Did you ever know of or visit the old Recording Arts studio in Nashville? It was a little north and west of the Parthenon off West End and on 28th or 29th Street. It is gone now, and I rode in there a few years back to try to find the house it was in. The entire house was a commercial studio and it had houses all around it being used for residential purposes. It had a driveway beside it and a backyard converted to a parking lot, but the overall lot was small. A few people could park behind it, but the rest had to park on the street and finding a space was not always easy. The cartage trucks had to park out on the street or back partially in the driveway and partially block the street. It really was not an optimal location for a studio and probably bugged the neighbors. When I drove back in there I believe I located it and was amazed a commercial studio was ever there. Carl [or someone else] probably put it there back when and had vested rights until it closed.

Based on what I know of the cluster at RA back in the late 80s and early 90s, I can imagine what the traffic and cluster present studios operating in homes would be like when the cartage companies deliver and pick up. In particular, I'd like to see how they deliver a piano to one of those "home studios" that does not have one already there for use. If a session is to start at 10:00 am, the cartage trucks and the tuners, engineer, etc. all have to get there earlier than that to set up and the neighbors are likely to see a lot of that traffic if they have a 9:00 am work arrival time.

TheGoodTexan likes this.
  4. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

What happened to free enterprise? (And in Nashville no less)

5. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

sometimes I read threads and I realize that there are many many many perspectives on things almost entirely composed of raw nerves and assumptions... when facts and verifiable activities are stated, if they conflict with perception, they are ignored. I am beginning to think it has ALWAYS been that way...

6. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire

Home studio vs "home studio". If someone living there had a studio, and did their own recording, there would probably not be an issue.

If someone had a professional studio in their home - I think that is the issue.

If you and your three or four bandmates get together and record once or twice a year, no biggie.

If a band, four roadies, and mixing engineer, a recording engineer, a sound engineer, and a "bunch of people" show up every day as a primary business, that is more the issue. ​

OK. Easy to see the difference. But where do you draw the line?

Home studio. Our band records there. Fine.

We also recorded one other band. It's a hobby that throws a few dollars my way. Fine.​

How many people, or how many recordings, or how many bands need to file through your house before it becomes an issue?

I think that is the line some municipalities are trying to draw. The intent is good - the execution will never be "exactly right".

howardlo, Wildcard_35 and P Thought like this.
  7. KT89

KT89 TDPRI Member

IMO this isn't news. If you set up a professional storefront in a garage you'd expect pushback right? There's no difference to me to operating a commercial business in residential zoning; sucks but that's the law. If you run a full out business you have to make sure it's kosher.

8. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

It is being taught..... But you can't make them pay attention! :D

Greggorios and Wally like this.
  9. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Rich folks win : always.

Because , if you happen to live in that area and have a big enough piece of property , house set back , a fence and a gate ?

No one is going to mess with you.

Subdivision dwellers where neighbors can tell there are folks coming, going, parking on the street ?

You’re gonna get dinged.

Wildcard_35 likes this.
  10. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I get that Nashville is special... but in some cases our ways for forcing very specific zoning have led to our issues with suburban sprawl.

Denser areas that end up more mixed make for less dependence on cars. Where I live a car has almost become this thing that you get in to travel the same speed as walking.

How much noise pollution comes out of a "home studio" like this? Are the neighbors hearing noise or do they tend to be well isolated? Is the issue just clients driving in and out of neighborhood?

The funny thing about a lot of the suburban NIMYism is people get along fine in denser areas... it's not like cars parked on the street are a sign of the apocalypse. And lots of NIMBY type folks go and throw huge parties and have a hundred cars parked on their lawn and up and down their streets.

Wildcard_35 likes this.
  11. bcorig

bcorig Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I learned some things here.

12. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

Wow that Epoch Times is some partisan garbage. And a very political source to send people from here via a link.

Greggorios and Wally like this.
  13. stevemc

stevemc Tele-Holic

grow up,jeez.

14. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Tele-Holic

Nashville is way behind the 8-ball. When beset by them, the city fathers of my home city (Knoxville, TN) told those nasty traveling musicians that they weren't welcome in their town and that they should just shuffle on down the road. And they did, to Nashville, where they established the Grand Ole Opry. True story. ;)

Besides business zoning laws, my adopted coastal resort city has also established an interesting law affecting this sort of operation. They've got a rule that any business or church must provide parking on their own land for all who will be working or attending. This stems from a nearby church whose population exploded in the 1980s to over four thousand while their parking lots could hold less than a thousand. The insensitive faithful began parking in people's yards and either across or IN their driveways for blocks surrounding the church. As a result, a complaint can end even a small a home Bible study. Of course, many have earned the existence of the law by doing crazy stuff.

A Bible study at he house across from mine had people parking across my driveway, driving through my yard to park across my neighbor's yard while he was out, etc. I finally confronted the homeowner, telling him I didn't want to threaten his meeting, but in exchange, I needed him to treat the surrounding community with respect. He was chagrined by the behavior of his guests, having been to busy to notice, and immediately got things under control. And that, my friends, is the way to handle a problem like that, much more peaceful than siccing the gubment on them.

Bob

preactor and Harry Styron like this.
  15. Dixon in Korea

Dixon in Korea Tele-Meister

They’re coming for your home studio?? Really? More like “city shuts down commercial studio in home in residential area.”

Look at the guy’s website. He’s not someone demo’ing a few songs in his basement. He’s promoting his business as a professional studio.

codamedia and howardlo like this.
  16. Daytona.57

Daytona.57 Tele-Meister

For awhile, I resided in a town house, the unit beside me had an auto mechanic student. The house across the street, there was a dude who, rebuilt and modified classic cars and tuners. His neighbor was a licensed auto mechanic, who did work on the side until 1:00 am on work nights and all day on the weekends.

There was a constant caphony, of air compressors and air guns, zipping, operated at the same time, echoing off the multi storey condos. I was working shifts and had to wear ear defenders to sleep.

Eventually, one of the neighbors called Bylaw Enforcement and they shut it all down and started to issue parking tickets to the client cars parked on the street. Eventually, they moved out and so did I, at the first opportunity.

YMMV

17. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Running a business in a residential zoned area?
    What was the question?

Music City silences recording by home studios?
    Not at all, why did they print that lie?
    Troll news.

codamedia, Greggorios and imwjl like this.
  18. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

Yes, the CFO and I have different jobs but we're both known for numbers taking the fun away for some.

I side with reasonable regulations on this one. I work to suppress my inner libertarian having travelled a lot and having had neighbors violate ordinances and common sense. It is hard to think of or recall truly good places with decent infrastructure without order and income.

Wondering how much time people who complain spend at city hall also comes to mind. My own personal interests have me at area city council meetings, committee meetings and hearings several times a year. It's always the same. You be an influencer at the local level unlike having an impact with your congresswoman or man. Too few do it.

19. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

Yes, troll news is a fair description for a lot of stuff the publication linked. Very often few friends link to that publication when I've read about same topic in some other respected news sources.

telemnemonics likes this.
  20. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I think they are referring to people that run it like a business, they pay taxes, give receipts and so forth.

They can't do anything about it if you record yourself and your friends.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.