They are coming for your home studio

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by RL52, Oct 10, 2019.

1. RL52

RL52 Tele-Meister

2. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

There are various restrictions in most residential areas as to what business can be conducted. A home studio is not the question but rather what goes on with that studio and what ‘traffic’ is created by its usage. I have to sympathize with those who own residential property. How about setting up a retail business in a residence and creating a constant stream of traffic? How about doing auto mechanic work for hire and creating that kind of traffic and the resultant noise and refuse problems. Yes, it happens. Yes, it lowers the quality of life in a residential area, which is where one’s largest financial commitment is made, right?
    Tough world.....but if one wants to do business that creates traffic, eyesores, noise, odors, etc; perhaps one needs to do business in a business location???? And yes....the competition is going to take exception to such residential studios eating into their business that is conducted in higher cost investment in business locations.

3. RL52

RL52 Tele-Meister

“but if one wants to do business that creates traffic, eyesores, noise, odors, etc;“

You just described 99% of all new music.

4. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

Here, a home studio is not a business. A business is not a home studio. The tax man and local council planning people see to that, once the neighbours complain. Take it to a non-residential area, saves money in the long run.

Wally and Slim60 like this.
  5. Blrfl

Blrfl Tele-Holic

If anyone's wondering why the Grumpy Old Man Forum thread exists, here's the answer.

6. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's

This isn't really about music it's about a community's right to determine how residential vs. commercial areas are used. Either existing laws clearly define it or not. If not it's up to the residents/voters to change or clarify the laws. As Wally explains so well above, generally zoning laws "protect" residents from the various effects that some kinds of commercial business's can inflict upon a residential area; traffic, noise, etc.

Try selling your house after a McDonald's is built in the lot next to yours.:twisted:

G

Shuster, Telecastoff1, Alter and 3 others like this.
  7. Slim60

Slim60 TDPRI Member

I think sometimes people forget why regulations exist in the first place.

8. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's

Yes. Would be nice to see Civics 101 being taught again.

codamedia, Shuster and Wally like this.
  9. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire

Open up a daycare in one of the vocal booths, rent out the entire studio on AirBnB, or get it designated as a historic home and he should be good...;)

10. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Something that the article doesn’t talk about, and that you guys wouldn’t pick up on unless you lived in Nashville...

The number of “home studios” in Nashville is probably 100x that of actual home studios in any other part of the U.S. “Home studios” are everywhere in Nashville. I’m putting that in quotes because I’m not talking about what you and I might have set up in our basement or detached garage. I mean top, pro-level equipment and designed studios... built into a full basement of someone’s home. Real, working studios that attract top names and produce pro-level work.

I’m not coming down on a “side”... I still don’t think they draw any significant traffic or degrade a neighborhood... but there are a ton of them. I seriously doubt that it has anything to do with top tier record labels not wanting the competition... because most of the labels probably utilize some of these studios these days.

11. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity

this is the reason why I do a Invitation only thing for my studio ,its not a commercial venture and also for repairs I only do them by invitation only

Greggorios likes this.
  12. Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob Tele-Holic

They have forgotten the face of their father ... I distinctly remember from KB's Country Music documentary that several studios started in houses. One had a quonset hut out back to add another studio. But, money changes everything.

RodeoTex, Wildcard_35 and catdaddy like this.
  13. TheGoodTexan

And population growth. Nashville is 10x more populated than it was in 1960 when all of that started.

beagle likes this.
  14. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Friend of Leo's

I have a Sun Records style studio in the basement. I have a monthly “ invite “ only jam, and do a little occasional recording. I provide back line, keys and drums, and keep things at a reasonable volume; all I need is some “ problem creator” neighbor to see a 4x12 or drum kit going in on a regular basis. I try to limit numbers to what a poker night or small cookout might bring out( 5-6 people) some of this is to “fly low” other is a bit of respect. We had a guy in the old hood w/ some sort of business that required multiple DLH deliveries, some times 10-12 a day, often there would be 2-3 vans there at the same time, + client visits, it was a bit much.

Greggorios and Vibrolux59 like this.
  15. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Interesting times... technology and connectivity are making homes very productive and sensible work places.

I’ve got a fairy nice home music studio and a well equipped technology workshop for my work.

It’s not rented out commercially which is where the line is crossed.

The AirBnB use is interesting - a commercial hotel without being a hotel. Whole swathes of family homes are being bought up and taking housing from locals in some nice places by AirBnB speculators. It’s turning communities into dormitories.

Telecaster88 likes this.
  16. Torren61

Torren61 Friend of Leo's

I have no dog in that hunt but reading the article, I see that there is a law in place that prohibits specific commercial businesses in residential neighborhoods with home studios falling into the prohibited category. Odd that it allows daycares, like the one two houses west of my house, to continue to operate. I can tell you, there is a lot of traffic and noise from THAT commercial business.

When you write “They are coming for your home studio”, it’s a bit misleading and shocking and I’m sure intended to provoke an emotional response. Although somewhat based on a fact, no one is coming for your home studio unless you live in Nashville and operate a recording studio out of your home and service clients there. By “service clients”, I mean that you cannot have someone come record there unless you don’t charge them a fee for doing that. A person could still mix at his home studio or record themselves at their own home studio.

So, for regular people who don’t live in Nashville, NO ONE IS COMING FOR YOUR HOME STUDIO.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
    Greggorios and TheGoodTexan like this.
  17. MDent77

MDent77 Tele-Afflicted

Only having stayed for brief visits, I don't know the area that well but I am curious if the Nashville area has had problems with some elements of the music community. Possibly obnoxious behavior or amatuer studios without proper soundproofing.

Having read news of a Metro ordinance aimed at street performers (using amplification) in Nashville - it appears from the outside, a way to move out an undesirable or unprofessional element who may be making more noise than melodies.

The lawsuit brought by Lij Shaw, (recording studio in East Nashville) does make the claim there were no complaints, but is he the norm?

The Judge made is clear she accepts the Metro Council's determination of the matter. Leaves me wondering what they know that most don't....

18. TheGoodTexan

Several neighborhoods in Nashville have been re-zoned over the years for mixed use. Berry Hill is a major one (right by the Guitar Center). It was once all residential... and the vast majority of structures originally built as homes are still there.... but most of them have been converted to a business of some sort. This is the case with Joe Glaser's business, which in the Berry Hill neighborhood. It was once a residential home, and pretty much still looks like it. But no one lives there... it is only his place business. There are tons of "home studios" in that neighborhood too, and several cool amp repair shops. They all mostly look like homes.

Growth does not occur without pain.

Telecastoff1, Masmus and Torren61 like this.
  19. Shuster

Shuster Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Over my dead body!!!o_O
    il_fullxfull.399586487_51bl.jpg

20. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    POLITICAL" POSTS:
    At the TDPRI a political post is any post that directly or indirectly encourages discussion of politics, politicians, political parties, political media outlets, or government public policies.

Our "off-topic" areas are not for discussion of foreign policy, global warming, job outsourcing, domestic economic policy, global trade issues, labor politics, gun rights, criminal justice policy or issues, any specific branches of government or generally any government policy on the local, state, national or international level.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.