1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

These Gotoh In-Tune Compensated Saddles are fantastic

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by goonie, Mar 28, 2021.

1. goonie

goonie Friend of Leo's

After 6 months of American Original '50s Telecaster ownership, I have succumbed ... I need to intonate baby, if not perfectly then a lot closer than is possible with the stock saddles. And that's exactly what these Gotohs do, while looking just like the real thing.

bridge.jpg

Buzzgrowl, JL_LI, baldwindp and 5 others like this.
  2. PeterUK

PeterUK Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

yegbert, rze99 and goonie like this.
  3. dpang2836

dpang2836 Tele-Meister

I like those and the Wilkinson's, though those Points on W, will bend the String. I took a File to them, just enough to Round Out.

4. nopicknick

nopicknick Tele-Meister

I love my titanium set

goonie likes this.
  5. myteleplaysjazz

myteleplaysjazz Tele-Holic

Good to know that they're working for ya.

goonie likes this.
  6. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

The thing I like about this product the most, is it goes with the discontinuance of the "Gotoh Wilkinson" multi-piece barrel saddles with all the multiple pieces parts. Those are crazy, and when you'd find them on used guitars on hooks in stores, the intonation and setup were not even close to accurate.

This product should also cut into production and sales of the "Wilkinson/Sung Il" sets. Some guys insist those work - I took 'em off and got better results with any number of replacements.

Greggorios likes this.
  7. teleplayer99

teleplayer99 Tele-Meister

Boris you are right, and while I keep my guitar stock. My AV52 came with them, and I am glad. But, to be honest, I can tell no difference. What has really improved with your instrument?

8. JM-1

JM-1 TDPRI Member

The only problem I found with the Gotoh In-Tune saddles that is that with the string grooves / notches, the strings sit a little lower.

I had to reverse shim the neck since I couldn't lift these saddles high enough, compared to my previous ones.

9. That Cal Webway

That Cal Webway Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I have a set that I like but I went ahead and replaced the low E & A with a Wilkinson compensated non-grooved.

I wanted a little bit more room on the low E string from the fretboard edge and the Wilkinson allows that.

10. 421JAM

421JAM Tele-Meister

Do you know if the original Fender height adjustment screws are an exact match? I just put Gotohs on my Tele and, while I do notice an improvement in intonation, I don’t care for the hex screws. The set didn’t come with a hex wrench and none of my hex wrenches seem to be an exact fit.

11. JM-1

JM-1 TDPRI Member

1.5mm hex wrench is a perfect fit for the Gotoh Grub screws (the other diameter is 3mm or M3)

12. PeterUK

PeterUK Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Apologies, I don't know. I agree with the post above re: the Allen wrench.

If you find out, do post your findings here. :)

13. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Friend of Leo's

I have Wilkinson on my Fender plate on one Tele and a 6 saddle modern Fender bridge on another. I am personally OK with either look. To me the classic look is the body and headstock shape. And as much as we all argue about Leo got it right, he did not exactly fight for the old design at MM or G&L. In my mind that’s a good enough explanation that Leo wasn’t bought in to the design. So if a modern bridge is good enough for Leo it’s good enough for little ole me.

PCollen likes this.
  14. Ron C

Ron C Tele-Holic

Thanks for sharing - I've wondered about those saddles!

I've used the brass Fender bent ones and the brass Callaham compensated ones. Both seem fine but the Gotoh ones certainly look more normal, and I think I'd like having the string grooves. I use light strings and found I needed to file some notches into my saddles to keep the spacing right.

These days I'm using the Gotoh 6 saddle modern bridge, mostly for ballast on a too-light body. No complaints with that one.

goonie likes this.
  15. JM-1

JM-1 TDPRI Member

The Gotoh saddles are lovely in terms of intonation and maintaining constant string spacing. They sound pretty good too.

When I found I couldn't get the saddles high enough, I wondered if it was because the bridge plate was thinner. But no - it was because the groove lowered string height slightly at the saddle....

16. baldwindp

baldwindp Tele-Meister

Added them to my Baja almost first thing. Height isn't a problem but I guess it would be if I didn't like the action low.
    IMG_20210404_121809569.jpg

That Cal Webway and goonie like this.
  17. JSMac

JSMac Tele-Holic

i used them on the build in my avatar and I like 'em just fine. Intonate well and no problem with height adjustment.

Robertito and goonie like this.
  18. yegbert

yegbert Poster Extraordinaire

Wouldn’t substituting longer set screws be an easier, cheaper, and simpler solution?
    https://www.mcmaster.com/screws/set-screws/

secretsoundz, Robertito and PCollen like this.
  19. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

eh? Why didn’t you just adjust the saddles like a sensible fellow?

20. Gary in Boston

Gary in Boston Friend of Leo's

I agree with OP they look original and fit the whole original look of the Tele and they intonate pretty much right on (at least on my Tele)

I think its great that a guitar designed and issued 68+ years ago is still in production as originally released and folks have cottage industries supporting the various tweaks they need.

Brilliant really...............

Gary

goonie likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.