Thermometer Case Question

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Suave, Feb 8, 2020.

1. Suave

Suave TDPRI Member

Hi All,

I was wondering if you guys could help me out and tell me a bit more about the thermometer case that is currently a home for my Baja Tele. I got if from a friend of mine couple years ago, so I don't know where does it come from or how old is it.

The reason I'm asking is because in the near future I'll have to ship the guitar back and forth and I don't particularly trust this case - the locks are loose so I have to wrap the case with a leather belt to be sure whenever I carry the guitar, the wood doesn't seem to be super thick either. I don't gig with it and travel only occasionally so it didn't concern me so far but now I may want to buy something more practical and reliable. So the question is whether I should keep it for any other reason than just liking it. I don't think it's anything super special but is there anything rare/unique to it? Will appreciate your help.

S.

20200208_170921.jpg
    20200208_171010.jpg 20200208_170938.jpg

2. stormsedge

stormsedge Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Can you bubble wrap and box the case before shipping? Otherwise, I'd get a tougher case (even though that one looks cool).

Really nice looking flooring btw.

3. rob2

rob2 Tele-Holic

....thermometers are sought out for their vintage,retro quality....you can pay a small fortune for repros to go with an original 50's Tele...its probably worth keeping...alternatively you could get a decent price on Reverb etc if its a good quality make and put it towards a stronger case...edit...just noticed your's looks like genuine Fender....custom shop usually,check the prices on reverb and so on!

Vibrolux59 likes this.
  4. tweedman2001

tweedman2001 Tele-Afflicted

Was North of There, Now Way Way South of There
    Looks like an official Fender case that some of the CS guitars came in. Worth a bit but you might want to get something different for shipping unless you support the guitar in the case and protect the case in a box. Cool cases but not super protective.

If you don't like it and want to get rid of it let me know. ;)

5. Joe M

Joe M Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    CS Nocasters used to come with two cases; a plastic one and the thermometer case like yours. Looks cool but pretty much worthless as far as protecting a guitar. I wouldn’t even try to ship a guitar in that case. Even the reissue ones are worth several hundred dollars if you can find the right buyer.

Vibrolux59 likes this.
  6. Blue4Now

Blue4Now TDPRI Member

My 08 FCS 50’s tele came in that case. Worthless for protection. Get a Mono gig bag and you’re set

7. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

Hey, Suave, spend the +/- $150 and buy an SKB FS6 case for your Tele. The SKB case is durable, form-fitting, and has TSA latches, plush interior and interior storage compartment for strings, straps, picks, string winder, polish cloth...

Crobbins likes this.
  8. Crobbins

Crobbins Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

+1...:cool:

9. zeke54

zeke54 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I wouldn't ship your guitar in that case either , like FenderGuy53 says , get a SKB or comparable case . I own 3 of the thermo cases , one tweed like yours and a brown one and a blonde . They do look cool and they work out fine to go jam with friends . They definitely fit the guitars snug .

10. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Howdy and welcome!
    I’d suggest a better/newer case.

11. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Tele-Afflicted

12. Suave

Suave TDPRI Member

Guys, thanks for your replys. You confirmed my observations and I'm definitely getting something more reliable. The thermometer case will probably end up in the storage for some time.

Thanks and see you around!
    S.

13. Suave

Suave TDPRI Member

Thanks, it's polish oak ;)

stormsedge likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.