1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

There's something about The Pretenders

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Stanford Guitar, Mar 1, 2021.

1. tattypicker

tattypicker Tele-Meister

Probably should be.

I don't know the process by which Craig Ferguson or James Corden get claimed for America, but I think an honorary Brit needs to have a grasp of smut.

2. northernguitar

northernguitar Friend of Leo's

It’s a perfect album. In my top 5.

3. gtroates

gtroates Tele-Holic

Chrissie left the US to join the music scene in England. She was at Kent State when the shootings occurred and it made her want to get out of Ohio and get a fresh start away from the political environment in the US at the time. She wrote about it a bit in the song with the lyrics “I went back to Ohio, my city was gone.”

SRHmusic, Chuckster, middy and 2 others like this.
  4. John E

John E Friend of Leo's

Yep James Honeyman Scott was so good. He really was hitting his stride when he passed.

5. Ed Driscoll

Ed Driscoll Tele-Afflicted

Yeah, that's definitely a great song. I've heard numerous singles I've liked from them after the original lineup, but her first band had the magic.

Stanford Guitar likes this.
  6. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Poster Extraordinaire

Their instruments always sounded good, and Chrissie Hynde's voice always sounded dangerous. What's not to like?

7. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

We saw them a few years ago at the old Roseland in NYC with the 6-piece lineup that included a pedal steel player, and I was a little disappointed. They were definitely good, but Chrissie added pedal steel to everything, and a lot of it didn't seem to fit the songs.

I agree about the first lineup. They were stars. They were always right on the edge of complete chaos on stage. They were an absolute thrill to watch.

- D

Chuckster likes this.
  8. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Tele-Afflicted

I know, I know. But Robbie McIntosh is awesome. Don't need to compare a guy to a dead guy. I love McIntosh and think he was a great next.

9. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Tele-Afflicted

Hey, y'all, anybody else 100% all-in for Chrissie's VBW project? One of my favorites in the last few years.

Stanford Guitar likes this.
  10. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

When Brass in Pocket hit the airwaves it was like nothing I'd ever heard before. And the music simply kept getting bettar as the band matured.

11. Chuckster

Chuckster Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I'm in the Honeyman-Scott/Farndon camp... they were so raw and amazing. JHS is in my top 5 favorite guitarists. I'm not a fan of guitar solos, but I simply HAD to learn the lead from "Kid"... it's spectacular.

Chrissie's autobio is... kinda filthy, but good. She said she had to wait until her parents died before she could write it. She was a dirty girl.

She also mentioned that it was JHS that found Robbie and suggested working with him in the future. Ironic.

hemmings, kafka, aging_rocker and 2 others like this.
  12. Stanford Guitar

Stanford Guitar Tele-Afflicted

So does Brass in Pocket reference having courage, like brass balls?

Chuckster likes this.
  13. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I always looked at the 'Kid' solo as Honeyman's cool take on the solo from 'Nowhere Man.' Both are as close to the perfect solo as you can get.

- D

benderb9, archetype and Chuckster like this.
  14. fattybrisket

fattybrisket Tele-Meister

She was a bit of a Forrest Gumpian figure. Her first band while at Kent State included Mark Mothersbaugh of Devo. She worked at Malcolm McLaren's clothing shop and apparently almost married Johnny Rotten for a work permit. Her boyfriend was beaten with a motorcycle chain by Sid Vicious (for reasons that are disputed), she was kicked out of The Damned right before they became The Damned, started a failed band with Mick Jones and was a guest on the first Clash tour.

ElJay370, Tommy Biggs, Oxidao and 4 others like this.
  15. Fearnot

Fearnot Poster Extraordinaire

One of the greatest shows I ever saw was a Pretenders show in 1980... the crew had placed the soundboard where my seats were supposed to be, so I was allowed to sit anywhere I wanted... including front-row center! So, not only did I get to see Chrissie up close and personal, but a girl I'd been chasing for a while came down and sat in my lap for most the show! It was a good night...

That original lineup really caught lightning in a bottle. And even after Honeyman-Scott & Farndon passed, Hynde rebounded admirably for a few more records. It was only once she got restless and fired all those guys that she lost it entirely. She's still a presence onstage, with a great catalog of songs, but the mojo is long-gone.

16. etype

etype Tele-Afflicted

I've always thought of it is money in pocket. Arrggh, off to Google!

Here is what Chrissie said inan interview:
    “We were all having dinner together afterwards, and one of the guy’s in Strangeways had just picked up his trousers from the dry-cleaners,” she remembers. “His bandmate asked him jokingly: ‘Was there any brass in the pockets?’ I suppose I just liked the turn of phrase. Being from the US I hadn’t heard it before.”

Still don't know what it means.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
    SRHmusic and Stanford Guitar like this.
  17. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Chrissie is U.S. The rest are British.

SRHmusic likes this.
  18. PARCO

PARCO Tele-Meister

The Pretenders " Live in London" DVD is one of the best things I've ever seen.

Old Plank likes this.
  19. Chuckster

Chuckster Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Agreed... and it's a favorite soundcheck warmup for Johnny Marr.

StrangerNY likes this.
  20. Old Plank

Old Plank Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Their latest "Hate for Sale" has great tunes and sound that harken back to the early albums.

Slip Kid and brookdalebill like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.