1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

There's so much negative talk about it, but I reckon I love California.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Toto'sDad, Oct 28, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lowerleftcoast

Lowerleftcoast Friend of Leo's

Supply and demand drives the prices, just like any other place in the free world.
    Ruinous for some bountiful for others. Still gold in them hills but there is gold elsewhere too.

5th largest economy, by world standards. A few years ago it was rated as 7th. It rates between Germany and the UK. It is a huge economic benefit to the whole US economy. Provides a lot of ag too. Heck CA even supplies 80% of Japans rice imports and rice is not even in the top ten of CA ag products.

Diverse place that CA. Hard to make a sweeping statement about the state.

2. blue metalflake

blue metalflake Doctor of Teleocity

Sounds as though you’re more than happy there, and it’s the place for you.

Lake Placid Blue and Toto'sDad like this.
  3. eddiewagner

eddiewagner Poster Extraordinaire

I would love to live in California

4. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

I lived in Monterey for a year in the early 80s. Loved every minute.

I remember my first morning there, waking up to take a walk and hearing all this barking and thinking, "damn, they should shut them dogs up."

Not dogs.

Seals.

Hilarious!

5. loopfinding

loopfinding Tele-Holic

I’d consider moving there if they became their own country. Which they totally should.

Toto'sDad, Jakedog and Torren61 like this.
  6. mugen74

mugen74 Tele-Holic

Let California fall into the ocean.

jh

tery likes this.
  7. dkmw

dkmw Poster Extraordinaire

Hey man, there’s no way it’s worser than FL - ain’t never been no worser than this:lol:

Never ever live in either CA or FL, these dystopias are best left to the fools. Oh wait, what did I just call myself?

Toto'sDad likes this.
  8. teletail

teletail Tele-Afflicted

It's like everyplace else on earth, you can find something to whine about or you can find something to enjoy. Congratulations on being the latter. They are usually happier people.

9. jman72

jman72 Tele-Afflicted

I visited San Fran and LA when I was in my 20s, and never thought there was much to California besides these cities. Then four years ago I flew to Vegas with my wife and kids, rented a minivan, and spent 5 weeks driving from San Diego to Whistler BC, and MAN, I fell in love with California! We spent around 3 weeks criss-crossing all of California, hitting every state and National Park from ocean to desert, and there is no place like it on Earth! From Yosemite to Sequoia, from Lake Tahoe to Lassen Volcano, to the redwoods to the fields and valleys in between- absolutely stunning everywhere. And I was shocked at how, once you get out of the major cities, California is extremely rural and agriculturally based. I mean, just take a drive from Death Valley to Barstow, or Eureka to Lassen and tell me that California doesn't have as much empty space as Texas! An outdoor paradise. And if you want rain, you can get it on the northern coast- it was definitely NOT all hot and dry like So Cal. That trip totally changed my mental image of California. If I could pick up my current "life" and move it to somewhere near the mountains of Northern California, I'd do it in a second.

I have a buddy who spouts all the negative things you hear people say (some here, too). He was in San Diego in the 80s when he was in the Navy, and now all he can say is that California is a "third world country". I told him he needs to go rent a van, take a trip with his kids for a couple of weeks to all the parks, and THEN tell me how much California sucks. My guess is that a little "education" would show him the light. It is an incredibly diverse place.

10. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

(1973)

Toto'sDad likes this.
  11. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Friend of Leo's

Interesting. I absolutely LOVE the weather this time of year in Northern Alabama. In fact the fall in the southeastern US is my favorite weather season of all!

12. flathd

flathd Poster Extraordinaire

I was there around 1967. I liked it, but the smog was pretty bad at the time, IMO. It was noticeable, especially in the morning. Am I being too negative?

Edit: Also, my cousin Danny had some boxing gloves, and he pounded the crap out of me.

Yeah, California really sucked. :lol:

Last edited: Oct 29, 2020
    Toto'sDad likes this.
  13. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

If you look hard enough, you’ll find plenty of bad stuff about anywhere you go...the opposite is true as well.

Toto'sDad, Torren61, Rocky058 and 2 others like this.
  14. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

With me, sigh...o_O it's about protecting the patch. I live here by choice not circumstance.
    I also tell folks that where I live is awful, can't wait to get out etc. etc, I call it the
    derelict hotel just to scare folks off.
    I lived in really cool places and had them discovered and then they became the place to be, sigh..:cry: , suddenly a kicked back neighborhood is hip and "poof! presto it's discovered and cool", Say goodbye to a little bit of paradise soon to be filled with California cuisine hotspots trendy alternate lifestyle clothing shops for the metrosexual couples moving in and causing the rents to soar,, , authentic hot yoga, palatis, jazzercise, 7 starbucks , and a designer baby boutique diaper service that includes and is complete with pet walkers, a wine bar and no place to park, and not to forget the gelati parlor on the corner.:twisted:
    And why would I want my depressed neighborhood to miss out on the better things in life?
    Call me stupid, call me knuckle dragging neanderthal, call me disgruntled hippy trash , say what you will, but please, please, please, just go away. This is just the worstest of the worst places to even drive through.:rolleyes:

Last edited: Oct 29, 2020
  15. KyAnne

KyAnne Tele-Afflicted

I remember the cold drab grey overcast days in the MS Delta.
    Never could get warm. Twas a nasty wet cold. Great place to be from I guess. Momma told me to never come back there to live, and I haven't.

Lake Placid Blue and Toto'sDad like this.
  16. Phrygian77

Phrygian77 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Yep, I was going to say talk about negative talk. I love my home. Listen to some JJ Grey and you'll get why. I'll never leave here. Keep in mind Florida is really two completely different states, north and south.

Talking about states made me think of this James McMurtry verse...

New Mexico's lost on the back streets of Austin
    Carolina keeps all her thoughts to herself
    Tennessee's tight and he will not stop talking
    Somebody shush him 'fore I have to myself

Toto'sDad and notroHnhoJ like this.
  17. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

(1967)

18. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

you watched a video once, cool story bro.

California is the fifth largest economy on the planet. If you read what I wrote and comprehended it, I said that there are many fine places to live in the world, no judgement negative about Tennessee. I'm sorry you were 'sentenced' to live in California and didn't like it. If you are toward the bottom end of the economy, it would be hard to live here.

In my years of doing volunteer work, the folks we have worked with who were homeless and who were on drugs usually from mental conditions that led them to self medicate... rarely did I meet someone FROM California. Typically, they had come from some other state and came for the weather and for the services they could get here and not other places.

Glad you could find a place that works for you.

19. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

It is Colorado's turn the last couple weeks. They have had some terrible, very sad fires this week. I'm so sorry for my brothers in Co.... such a beautiful place... just terrible.

The fires are now just burning ground fuels, the one I was connected to most closely is at 61% containment which is misleading, it is in the granite fields, no way to fight it, it will burn to the other side near mammoth... It will have, for the most part, wiped out the dead trees for that area (a good thing) but, a long reclamation project.

They had a big fire in SoCal this week, but the winds died down, so, that is mostly in mop up now.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  20. notroHnhoJ

notroHnhoJ Tele-Meister

Hey speaking of “culture”....
    California is the birthplace of Fender guitars. May seem a small thing, in the scheme of things, but I really really think there was (is?) a “guitar culture” of some kind in California. And not surprisingly and maybe in line with regional attitudes and ways of doing things, it was a similar kind of DIY combined with forward thinking that also made the modern tech industry. I mean, hate on the state all one wants, but understand how and why your favorite guitar was born.

Toto'sDad and Torren61 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.