1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Theres nothing wrong with plywood bodies...

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Jadguitar, Aug 7, 2011.

1. lostpick

lostpick Tele-Afflicted

i have a strat that is plywood
    and thought is was light ash (sounded that good)
    until i took it apart to see what it was
    made of...

2. whitecat

whitecat Tele-Meister

'Fraid the superb sounds coming from that video have nothing to do with the guitar in this case. ;)

But speaking of semis, you oughta have a look at the Godin Montreal given the chance. Semi-hollow solid mahogany body with a separate but still carved-from-solid mahogany top. Superb woodwork and they only choose pieces that look lovely.

3. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

My problem with pywood bodied guitars from the late eighties and early nineties isn't the fact that they have plywood bodies, it's more the lousy hardware they came with.

[​IMG]
    This BC Rich Gunslinger from their platinum series shows what I mean. Those bridges were a disaster and those pickups were probably the worst sounding units ever.

Whenever I encounter guitars from that period, I'm more appauled by how bad the overall built quality is than the fact that they have plywood bodies.

4. jefrs

jefrs Doctor of Teleocity

I had a plywood body de-laminate on me, result a very flexible neck joint, nbg.

5. Durtdog

Durtdog Poster Extraordinaire

Most people here insist that "tone is in the hands" so it shouldn't make any difference if your guitar's made of plywood or semi-digested pablum.

Ed P likes this.
  6. SonicLou

SonicLou TDPRI Member

Not true...Yes, a lot of tone is in the hands but a good tone wood helps a great deal...

7. bingy

bingy Friend of Leo's

Meh.

Ed P likes this.
  8. telepath

telepath Friend of Leo's

I suspect I might feel uncomfortable - if .. I knew!

But thats just me being silly, because I doubt I would know, if I was not told.
    I also doubt I am alone in that!

Also, a local guy has a Vester Strat which I know is actually a plywood - for want of a better description - body.

It sounds great, and IMHO he would casually kick the behinds of a high percentage of folks I see daily on Youtube who seem a bit too engrossed in the act of poring over their megabuck tonewood builds.
    He does have a fairly high end Strat as well. He plays fairly clean. He still sounds like he does - with either. It's enough of an example to me.

9. zosofan

zosofan Tele-Meister

I'm with you on this.
    My daughter has a Strat that I figured was solid wood as it sounded amazingly "stratty" to me.
    Then she asked me to change the strings on it for her and when I took off the trem cover, there it was! PlYwOOd.
    It doesn't change my opinion of the guitar one iota, I was just surprised what it was made of. I never wood have guessed.
    Eric

10. Zenzeypher

Zenzeypher Tele-Afflicted

Yeah I picked up a 1994 Korean strat Squier. Gorgeous stunning neck. I picked it up for 25 so I didn't expect anything great.

Sounded alot nicer then the 2002 Affinity I picked up to fix.

Changed strings, saw it was a plywood body and suprised me muchly, I would never of been able to tell if I didn't see the tell tail signs in the cavity.

11. brattmatter

brattmatter Tele-Meister

I agree. Might make a cinder-block Tele after this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFyQXy74xz4&t=57s

cant get the youtube to show here :cry:

12. lostpick

lostpick Tele-Afflicted

thats what i have....the neck is incredible...
    slightly plump and wide like a PRS...
    very tubby, resonant and full sounding...
    i got mine for $65 as it needed a wire
    resoldered to the 5-way switch

Ed P likes this.
  13. Jadguitar

Jadguitar Tele-Meister

Dude you have my exact guitar. Necck is similar to what you described. And it's awesome. I might put in 57/62 pickups but the pups sound good too.

Ed P likes this.
  14. The Aram

The Aram TDPRI Member

I have a Korean-made Squier Strat from the 80s that's plywood. I've owned it for over 15 years now, had a lot of other electrics in between, and still find myself gravitating back to that guitar. More for the neck, but also because I feel like it just blasts better than anything else I have. Love that guitar, though I think the electronics have finally bit the dust. :\

15. GigsbyBoyUK

GigsbyBoyUK Friend of Leo's

Some refreshing comments here - people not afraid to use their ears rather than their prejudices. Like others have said, I had a plywood Strat copy once that was as good in every respect as anything else I've played. Over the years various other bits of it broke so all I have left is the body and one day I'll turn it back into a guitar.

16. Gary in Boston

Gary in Boston Friend of Leo's

I had a plywood body Hamer Slammer the body started to de laminate but the neck joint was so tight I needed a mallet to release it from the body. Go figure.

Gary

17. musicalmartin

musicalmartin Poster Extraordinaire

Stop calling ply and it all changes .Call it scientifically designed laminated ecology tonewood and it will sound much better ..
    When I was a kid I used to buy Hot Rod magazine as it was available off the shelf in the UK . I thought Naugahyde was a special animal skin but never found what animal a Nauga was .:lol:

18. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

Talk yourselves up lads...

is there a shortage of wood?..

call me a purist snob,,, I want a wooden body made out of a uniform piece/s of timber for my guitars, clear finished, edges too.....whether it be recycled or freshly seasoned...

.. no matter how "good" ply sounds....it's good for Cabs/Amp shells, I reckon...

19. jule553648

jule553648 Tele-Meister

IMHO

When you plug the guitar into the amp, the wood doesn't matter. When played acousticaly yes, but electricaly no.

The amp makes the world of difference, not the wood of the guitar.

20. whitecat

whitecat Tele-Meister

(mostly) this - I agree.

I would posit that the neck/fingerboard wood has more of an effect on the plugged in sound than the body wood.

Taking "fingers" out of the equation, pickups and amp are 95% of tone, IMO.

However, I avoid arguing about this on the internet now where possible because hundreds of people are going to come in and disagree. :D

To them, i say, 'prove it.' Prove that the body wood affects the tone measurably.

You can't. It's not scientifically possible because no two guitars are exactly alike. But that's part of the fun of guitars in general. You can say that "well I have an ash body and it sounds snappy and I have an alder body and it sounds warm" - but that's not enough, unfortunately. Are the necks/pickups/strings identical? No. Too many different things going on affecting tone.

Just so you know where I'm coming from I currently own guitars made from: alder, ash, solid rosewood, mahogany, basswood, redwood, wild cherry, and one electric with a koa top and a Les Paul with a maple top. As mentioned earlier in the thread, I'm jonesin' for a masonite Danelectro as well. They're not expensive but I'm waiting till I find the "right" one. But that aside, the biggest differences in sound that maybe I can't directly attribute to pickups are generally the differences between maple and rosewood boards. But even then...

Anyway, just my 2p - again, I try to avoid this discussion nowadays, it gets a bit heated! Flame suit donned... :twisted:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.