There were some great horror writers in the 70s and 80s, and Steppen King was one of them

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by blowtorch, Oct 8, 2019.

1. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

my lands, yes, he needs an editor. M-O-O-N, that spells editor.

but as long as the money rolls in, why bother.

by the way, I thought the miniseries of "the Stand" was excellent. one of the best films from his work.

2. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I don't have any. But I did buy and read 'The Fireman' recently. Apparently King's son writes under the name Joe Hill. Not exactly an uplifting book by any means.

3. Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob Tele-Meister

Have you read any McCammon? Similar themes as King, with a little different style.

I read "Swan Song", which is an end of the world story along the lines of "The Stand", and am almost finished with "Boy's Life" which I guess is similar to "Stand By Me", but on a longer timescale. Either one of those is recommended, but I prefer "Boy's Life" of the two.

Here's his Goodreads page

Modman68 likes this.
  4. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

my favorite contemporary horror writer is Cormac McCarthy.

5. Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob Tele-Meister

"Storm of the Century" was pretty excellent too, for a made-for-TV miniseries.

6. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

He died in 1991, and only wrote a handful of novels, but Thomas (Tom) Tryon wrote some masterful horror/mystery stories. Only a couple (that I'm aware of) were filmed, (The Other and Harvest Home) but they were great. He had an incredible way of dropping something into the early parts of a book, that you almost forget as completely insignificant, that at the conclusion is found to be MASSIVELY important. I won't say any more, so I don't spoil it for anyone, but I found them to be VERY enjoyable.

7. Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob Tele-Meister

You might already know, but I'm in the mood to post :)

Joe Hill (October 7, 1879 – November 19, 1915), born Joel Emmanuel Hägglund and also known as Joseph Hillström,[1] was a Swedish-American labor activist, songwriter, and member of the Industrial Workers of the World (IWW, familiarly called the "Wobblies").[2] A native Swedish speaker, he learned English during the early 1900s, while working various jobs from New York to San Francisco.[3] Hill, an immigrant worker frequently facing unemployment and underemployment, became a popular songwriter and cartoonist for the union. His most famous songs include "The Preacher and the Slave" (in which he coined the phrase "pie in the sky"),[4] "The Tramp", "There is Power in a Union", "The Rebel Girl", and "Casey Jones—the Union Scab", which express the harsh and combative life of itinerant workers, and call for workers to organize their efforts to improve working conditions.[5]

In 1914, John G. Morrison, a Salt Lake City area grocer and former policeman, and his son were shot and killed by two men.[6] The same evening, Hill arrived at a doctor's office with a gunshot wound, and briefly mentioned a fight over a woman. He refused to explain further, even after he was accused of the grocery store murders on the basis of his injury. Hill was convicted of the murders in a controversial trial. Following an unsuccessful appeal, political debates, and international calls for clemency from high-profile figures and workers' organizations, Hill was executed in November 1915. After his death, he was memorialized by several folk songs. His life and death have inspired books and poetry.

Mjark and drlucky like this.
  8. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

To me, King’s novels have this tremendous build up in suspense and the development of the characters are excellent. Then, it’s like he leaves it to someone else to finish. Everything just goes all squirrelly and the novel goes from plausibility to absurdity. I don’t know. I’m always left disappointed. I’m left expecting more of the same ingenuity that is shown in the development stage of the book.

Maybe I would enjoy his writing better if the pretenses came down to upshots that are more earthly or plausible. I’m not a very good book critic, but that’s my feelings on it.

9. Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob Tele-Meister

This thread reminded me I needed to d/l photos from the camera of our vacation. We went to Maine. Stephen King lives in Maine. I hear it drives him nuts that fans visit his home. So of course we did.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Every other house on his block had a nice grassy area between the road and the sidewalk. His was hard packed dirt from all the foot traffic. Two other cars pulled up in the 10 minutes we were there.

8barlouie and jman72 like this.
  10. VWAmTele

VWAmTele Friend of Leo's

I was a fan way back, The Shining was his masterpiece IMO, The Stand a close second. The rest never did it for me.

8barlouie likes this.
  11. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Yes.

12. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I read The Stand, uncut and was so satisfied I never picked up another King book since. I'm not missing anything, am I?

CalebAaron666 likes this.
  13. dlew919

dlew919 Poster Extraordinaire

Asimov has a book in every section of the Dewey decimal system except the 200s on psychology. But some anonymous smart Alec on Wikipedia claims he wrote a preface to a book in that section.

All while professor of biology at Boston University.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thunderbyrd and 7171551 like this.
  14. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Yep I remember Joan Baez's version of Joe Hill.

Uncle Bob and P Thought like this.
  15. 57fenderstrat

57fenderstrat Tele-Meister

I don’t really care for the Shining movie but I will still watch it once in awhile. With most of the Stephan King movies they are decent if you don’t expect them to be that great haha.

Dolores Claiborne Is a really good movie though , probably the best adaptation in my opinion.

Uncle Bob and thunderbyrd like this.
  16. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

I enjoy reading the novels written by Stephen King and his cast of college students that co-write them.

dlew919 and 8barlouie like this.
  17. jman72

jman72 Tele-Afflicted

I have the same photos from my family vacation a few years ago. He was apparently at home, but I didn't get to bug him. This past Thanksgiving we tried to drive by his other house on Casey Key here in Florida, but it's hard to get to without seeming stalky, so we gave up.

Yep, I am a fan. I've read "It" at least 10 times (once in Spanish because it was all I could get my hands on). Sure, it's a huge book, but the first time I read it in one 24 hour marathon session and it was fantastic.

Some of his greatest works are his short stories, though. Short and sweet and no time to get long winded. For the non-initiated King reader, these are what I would recommend. Night Shift is pure pleasure.

Wildcard_35 and Uncle Bob like this.
  18. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

The great Wallace Stegner wrote a good biography on him.

And Ray Bradbury. Prolific and diverse. His Something Wicked This Way Comes is fantasy, not horror, but it's pretty good and Hallowe'eny.

Wildcard_35, Digital Larry and Mjark like this.
  19. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I've re-read The Stand more than any other book. I thought the mini series was horrible. Why do you think it's his best?

This world really needs Blood Merdian in movie form, but only written by a good screenwriter. I can hope, 1 day.

20. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Is that a fact? Because that would explain a lot. It seems like he gets a real head of steam going, and then leaves it someone less interesting to resolve everything.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.