There must be a black hole in the Smoky Mountains

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by SerpentRuss, Oct 14, 2021.

1. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I agree.

But USPS has to also catch up to the other carriers. I'm at a location that UPS and Fed Ex know well and deliver to fast, but USPS refuses to acknowledge the place exists (although they deliver to 6 addresses within a half mile radius of me). The rot is at the very top and nothing will be right, until the top is replaced.

Oh, lest anyone think my circumstances are unusual, USPS does the same thing to my aged parents in Central Coastal California. Needless to say, I'm sick of having to pay $100 a year for a box to which nothing larger than a magazine can be posted - I'm not in the outback of Alaska. What is up with this?

Greggorios likes this.
  2. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

Apparently, no one here is paying attention to the official news from USPS. Shippers be prepared.

stormsedge likes this.
  3. NoTeleBob

NoTeleBob Friend of Leo's

I've had shipments from across the country take two days (priority) to arrive, as scheduled. I've had packages from a couple hundred miles away in the same state take five days to arrive. I had a package from mid-USA (priority 3-day) disappear for two weeks off the radar completely, then show up in the local office "out for delivery". I've had packages bounce around state distribution centers for five days (tracking the whole time, just move back and forth, back and forth).

It's a complete crapshoot now. Wonderful service, and terrible service, all at the same time.

4. HoodieMcFoodie

HoodieMcFoodie Telefied Ad Free Member

Well in my case my shipment was despatched a couple of weeks before USPS' announcement of suspension of shipping. I heard the suspension was coming and hoped my parcel would slip through before the implementation but alas it was not to be.

Obsessed likes this.
  5. SerpentRuss

SerpentRuss Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

I just read some official announcements and some articles on the post office. I don't think it's going to get better. It may get more predictable and repeatable. Evidently, USPS is going to deliver the mail as well as it can and not lose money. Since all the "great times" we remember stem back to when it lost loads of money, we're not going to see that level of service return. If USPS is going to pay its own way, then it's going to be slow.

Of course, if it's too slow and unpredictable no one will use it. It's sort of a slippery slope.

Obsessed likes this.
  6. SerpentRuss

I googled this. They should start a pick-up winding company there. Who wouldn't want pickups wound in a psychic vortex? I know there are some acclaimed luthiers in that area as well. Makes sense in a new-age sort of way. Music is magic.

7. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Agreed. What's surprising is that it's not any worse than it is.

NoTeleBob and Obsessed like this.
  8. Obsessed

Yup. “Inevitable” has been the most hopeful term to use for … about a quarter century or so.

But let’s put a person on Mars.:rolleyes::oops:

stormsedge likes this.
  9. Obsessed

Ummm, their current crisis is about a quarter century old. Just sayin’

stormsedge likes this.
  10. NoTeleBob

They were very good at on-time delivery, especially for priority mail previous to the last couple years.

11. Obsessed

Yup, but they have been mismanaged and bleeding money for a very long time and why the term “inevitable” has been used all that time. I’m just sayin’. It really is a sad story IMO, but now it has become so obvious, even they have to publicly admit it.

12. David C

David C Tele-Meister

How many of us pay bills by writing checks these days? I think the USPS volume has decreased tremendously due to newer electronics capabilities. That decrease has impacted their revenue.

13. NoTeleBob

I've never studied it in detail, but I understand that most of the profit was in the bulk mail anyway. First class was not a money-maker.

14. David C

David C Tele-Meister

First Class volume has decreased over the past 10 years, significantly. First class postage may not have made the profits, but it does add cash into the system.

15. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

I haven't had a UPS truck in my driveway for years. They drop it at my local post office and the USPS lady delivers it. If something arrives at the post office after she starts her route, she'll stop by in her personal vehicle and deliver it on her way home.

David C likes this.
  16. Glen W

Glen W Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Geez, USPS...just adjust the price to where it should be already.

OldPup, David C and MarkieMark like this.
  17. MarkieMark

MarkieMark Friend of Leo's

Mainly Memphis? I beg to differ.
    USPS service here has been at the bottom option for over a decade. I click on tracking for an order, and see it has gone to USPS and I just sigh and give in to the fact it will be at least the better part of a week or more.
    At best I can expect an over sized package, crushed and stuffed halfway into my standard mailbox, door hanging open advertising "steal me"
    And thats only possible in the outside chance the package is even delivered to the correct address...

UPS, you ever see the YTube vids of them throwing the packages the last ten feet to your door? Very real. And that doesnt even begin to describe whats happening at the dispatch hubs.

The fedex guy just stomps through the middle of my lawn, right through my flower beds... All to save about four steps each way.
    At least it makes it to my porch though...
    They used to place it carefully, then text me a picture of it sitting by my front door. I liked that verification. So they stopped doing that.

Amazon was my last hope. Fast, courteous, professional... Almost unreal.
    Then suddenly, slow late and lazy.
    At least they dont stomp through the flowers.
    Now they just drop the package in the flower bed and its good enough...

0826211822.jpg

No seriously.

I ordered some gifts from the farm. Included perishable cheeses. It took three extra days and the cold packs were not just thawed, but hot.
    They sent replacements. Promised extra cold packs and better packaging.
    Delayed four days, cold packs and parcel hot.

I give up.

And I am not cheaping out, I am paying top dollar for this fine level of service!

Cant get here from there, or something.

18. SerpentRuss

The latest update!

Are you ready?

The latest update is no update! The last message was on the 12th.

As for the beloved Postal Service. I happen to know both my mail carriers, the normal guy and the normal substitute. Awesome people. We have a mall post office in Winston, great people there too, always willing to help but they keep things moving, a great balance of friendly and Soup **** efficiency. It's sad to see an organization that had such a great reputation fall into bedlam. Maybe when we're completely out of the covid woods things will improve a bit. I can live with slow a lot more than I can live with completely unpredictable.

For my personal needs, dropping $4 to get a handful of resistors and tube sockets to my door is a lot nicer than 10 bucks, because let's be honest, I always forget something in my orders. If tube depot and mouser were in my town those guys would know me by name and I would be giving them Christmas presents.

stormsedge likes this.
  19. stormsedge

stormsedge Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

A black hole in the Smoky Mountains? Well said! I'm snugged up against the other side and have seen the tracking on my items land north of me, then south, then west...then east (on your side) before finally hitting the local area (where things may mark time a day or two). Even with an expectation of shipping/mail taking some time, it feels surreal.

Not like the bad old days, when there were stores with actual stock in place. Our maximum optioned life has led to some of this, imo. For me, there is not much choice but to order stuff...lacking local specialty vendors.

20. SerpentRuss

Good news! I now have both of my shipments from my friends at the Tube Depot!

The package I ordered the day I posted this thread via FedEx was in my mailbox when I checked at 11:00 AM. My USPS package just arrived a minute ago.

Interestingly, the USPS package flew from Memphis to Greensboro yesterday, late in the day. so it sat in Memphis for about a week.

So now I have absolutely no excuses to make progress for the rest of the weekend. I guess I will listen to the Army-Wisconsin game rather than watch it. A little libation, football on the radio, and a soldering iron. Just about a perfect evening.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.