There may be a lot of things wrong with California, but the weather isn't one of them.

chris m.

Doctor of Teleocity
I heard a story on NPR about a bunch of folks who got burned out of Paradise, CA, and all coordinated their emigration to a rural town in Tennessee where they could basically rebuild their community of neighbors in a much more affordable, but similar vibe place. Climate change-driven migration is already happening, including within the USA.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
120 is plenty hot. I experienced that while my family and I did two weeks of camping and hiking in state and national parks and forests in Utah, Colorado, Arizona. Once you sleep out with no A/C in temps over 100 degrees, or go hiking/mountain biking in 110 degrees, anything under 100 feels blessedly cool, lemme tell ya. Thankfully it's "a dry heat" so if you just wet down all your clothes, your hat, etc., it's bearable because you get evaporative cooling as the wind blows through your wet clothes or sheets.

But spending time in these extreme temperatures makes you realize that one or two degrees increase in average summer temperatures is extremely serious. This equates to more frequent, longer, and more intense heat waves that can kill anybody that can't afford A/C. Especially where it's also humid. For example, most of the Indian subcontinent. We're all going to have to learn to live like Fremen or Bedouins, I guess.

View attachment 925104

I used to do business with a Hispanic guy who said, you Okies don't know HOW to deal with hot weather. He wore long pants in the summer with a tee shirt, and sweatshirt on under his long-sleeved work shirt. He said that when he sweated, the moisture was trapped by his tee, and sweatshirt and kept him cool. He did most of his work outdoors and I never heard him complain about the heat. Oh, and he always wore a big straw hat!

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I heard a story on NPR about a bunch of folks who got burned out of Paradise, CA, and all coordinated their emigration to a rural town in Tennessee where they could basically rebuild their community of neighbors in a much more affordable, but similar vibe place. Climate change-driven migration is already happening, including within the USA.

There might be some folks migrating from Santa Barbara, but it ain't likely the weather that's running them off. :lol::lol::lol:

schmee

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
I was born in California, but haven't lived there in decades. But every time I go back I'm just effing amazed at what a beautiful state it is....

Lawdawg

Friend of Leo's
I grew up in the midwest but most of my immediate family migrated to California 25+ years ago. I love visiting CA, it's a beautiful state with fantastic weather, but I need to have some semblance of seasons.

Atlanta is about perfect for me -- we're far enough south to avoid any real winter weather, but we're just north enough to get great fall weather with beautiful fall foliage. And as gorgeous as California is, there's nothing to compare to the explosion of color we get in spring when everything blossoms. Compared to Georgia's technicolor springs, California is downright monochromatic.

scrapyardblue

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I've crossed the once charming San Francisco off my list, as I've crossed the never charming L.A. off my list, but otherwise California is a beautiful state. From Mt. Shasta to Temecula, I'll certainly be back. To visit. You couldn't pay me enough to live in that state.

oldunc

Tele-Afflicted
It's great when 130 in July comes rolling around.

It can get pretty hot inland sometimes, like anywhere, but coastal California has moderate temperatures all year around. And quite moderate humidity. I'm in between- I usually have coastal influence, but it can be blocked by temperature inversions. Other than a couple of 120 heatwaves last year- hottest I've ever seen it here- there's been very little really hot weather the last 7-8 years. A lot of 95's, but 95 degrees at 50% humidity isn't at all bad. After all, people live in Baghdad and the Dead Sea basin.

Obsessed

Telefied
Silver Supporter
I basically grew up and worked my entire career in the S.F. Bay Area. Went to college in San Diego, so I know SoCal pretty well too. It was a great place to live for a long time. Something happened in the 1980s. Not sure if it was EVH or MTV, but something happened.;) I could not leave fast enough, but that was all in the plan anyway. Glad I’m gone. I call it the first chapter in my life and it was a great one.

Informal

Tele-Afflicted
I don't think they've outlawed chainsaws or lawnmowers in Chicago yet.............

Crazy stuff going on in Washington too, but not nearly on the scale of Cali. My Brother lives down there. Every time I talk to him, he talks about how he can't wait to get the He!! out.

Oh Ya?

Every time I visit my dad in Spokane, I get lit up by an unmarked Highway Patrol, for going 2-3 over the speed limit. :lol:

Oh, and whether it's my Dad's in Spokane, or my Uncle in Seattle, I don't think I've ever seen the sun shine in either place lol.

JeffBlue

Friend of Leo's
We've basically got the best climate in the world. It costs a lot to live here. If you move out and get used to a lower cost of living, it would be hard to be able to afford to come back (unless you are wealthy)

I am a California native who has been to Texas, Arizona, Nevada, Colorado, Illinois and Hawaii. No where else compares. I don't like too cold or too warm.

There are parts of California that are absolutely beautiful and we have it all. A huge, beautiful coastline, mountains, deserts, with vast list of attractions. Wackos are everywhere and we have our share.

chris m.

Doctor of Teleocity
There might be some folks migrating from Santa Barbara, but it ain't likely the weather that's running them off. :lol::lol::lol:
Paradise, CA, was a community east of Chico, in the Sierra foothills. Lots of folks moved there because it was much more affordable than other parts of the state. They left because the entire town burned to the ground.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Paradise, CA, was a community east of Chico, in the Sierra foothills. Lots of folks moved there because it was much more affordable than other parts of the state. They left because the entire town burned to the ground.

Chico is a long ways from Santa Barbara.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Insanity is everywhere...I live in Idahoastan and insanity is all around.

Thank you for injecting a bit of honesty into this thread. During my truck driving days, I saw a lot of country when it was still considered (by me) somewhat normal. I never went anywhere that a little tinge of crazy wasn't to be found, even if you weren't looking very hard.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I see it as a significant hardship on people in rural areas with more than 1 acre of land.

I don't disagree, but we have lots of folks who want change, and it's not going to matter that a few, or even many people are inconvenienced by it.

Remember:

iu