There may be a lot of things wrong with California, but the weather isn't one of them.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Wednesday is golf day for my wife and I, so that's what we did yesterday. The weather was perfect for shorts, and short sleeves. Around 77 degrees where we played at. Met a nice fellow who teamed up with us. Kind of odd, last week we played with a guy who kept bragging about a place he had eaten breakfast at. This week we played with the guy who is part owner of the restaurant!

I woke up this morning at six and realized I have been on a golf binge for about three weeks. Played a number of times with family and friends. I'm kind of worn out today. The weather is going to be short sleeves and shorts for at least the next week or so. I'm a warm weather lad, I can't really express my disdain for cold weather. We have so little cold weather, well what passes for cold weather here, that I shouldn't complain, but I'm always glad when we hit March again. I'd way rather it be too warm than too cold.

oldunc

Friend of Leo's
Harvested some tomatoes this morning- California certainly has its points. It's getting a little strange now, though, plants having trouble with their growth cycles due to lack of a real dormant period, and occasional houseflies still popping up in December.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Harvested some tomatoes this morning- California certainly has its points. It's getting a little strange now, though, plants having trouble with their growth cycles due to lack of a real dormant period, and occasional houseflies still popping up in December.

Never know when you'll see a house fly around here.

200.gif

chris m.

Doctor of Teleocity
Yeah, it's a lot sunnier than it is supposed to be at this time of year. We are in a major drought that may turn out to be the kind of megadrought that destroyed the Pueblo civilizations. The California State Water Project just allocated 0 water deliveries to communities here along the Central Coast. First time their allocation has ever been zero. My town is fortunate enough to have good groundwater, but this means we'll be over drafting our ground water (like Bakersfield and the Central Valley has seriously done already) and sooner or later all the wells are going to run dry. At least we're on the coast, so most likely super expensive desalination will be in our future...and the plants will need to be designed smartly to be resilient to sea level rise. Between fires, floods, sea level rise, debris flows, megadroughts, etc., California is now ground zero for climate change disasters.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Tell me that in August when your skin blisters. Tell me that when the winds fan the fires.

You know, I live in a place where the only problem I have with the fires is the smoke that gathers in the sky. I'm not, nor ever have been prone to blisters from the heat. I played golf eleven times one year in July in a little over a week. The hot weather just keeps your swing nice and loose! :lol::lol:

Willie Johnson

Friend of Leo's
I'll give you a precise example--I remember seeing someone during the OJ trial wearing an oversized cardboard cutout of the face of Nicole Brown over their face outside of the courtroom during the media coverage of the proceedings. He/she wasn't protesting, per se, but was there to be a part of the event...you know, like people do.

That. That's exactly what I'm talking about. That, and mudslides/mountain lion attacks/cult member mass suicides...stuff like that. It's just diff'rnt.

chris m.

Doctor of Teleocity
Death Vallery (aptly named) is the only place in California, or for that matter in the world where such temperatures have been recorded.

120 is plenty hot. I experienced that while my family and I did two weeks of camping and hiking in state and national parks and forests in Utah, Colorado, Arizona. Once you sleep out with no A/C in temps over 100 degrees, or go hiking/mountain biking in 110 degrees, anything under 100 feels blessedly cool, lemme tell ya. Thankfully it's "a dry heat" so if you just wet down all your clothes, your hat, etc., it's bearable because you get evaporative cooling as the wind blows through your wet clothes or sheets.

But spending time in these extreme temperatures makes you realize that one or two degrees increase in average summer temperatures is extremely serious. This equates to more frequent, longer, and more intense heat waves that can kill anybody that can't afford A/C. Especially where it's also humid. For example, most of the Indian subcontinent. We're all going to have to learn to live like Fremen or Bedouins, I guess.

upload_2021-12-2_9-29-45.png

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Ever since I was a kid I always wanted to go to California, gonna move their as soon as I get enough money, weather is a huge thing and I here that their attitude to life for better or worse is more come as you are.

I truly wanted to move out of California, truly I did, and made plans to do so. I had the money, had things all geared up to go. My kids went to work on momma, and before you know it, my plans were in shambles, and I was buying another house. Now, it seems all of the people who we were moving to Arkansas to be around have pulled up stakes and moved to Florida. I sure as heck wouldn't have wanted to have to move twice.

I've played golf all through the problems we've been facing the last couple of years, went about my business as usual. I happen to live in a place where a lot of people wouldn't want to live, that's fine with me. Everyone I know has the same brand of crazy that I have here, so I don't have to make any adjustments. Bakersfield California, you just can't beat it for Okies, and Oilwells!