There is no hope for me - ANOTHER Gibson/Glaser LP Special!

Discussion in 'B-Bender Forum' started by Silverface, Jul 22, 2019.

1. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

A P-90 won't get you a humbucking tone. It's a unique sound - grittier with more mids than Telecaster or Strat pickups, but definitely not any type of humucking tone (and there are hundreds of variations). The dual-coil alignment of the humbucking negates hum from most external sources; it also cuts some highs and has various effects on other frequencies depending on how it's wound, what wire is used, the magnet type, size, position and strength, polepiece alloy type and other factors.

So when you say you want a "humbucking tone" all you're really defining is that you *don't* want a bright sound typical of most single-coils.

If you go through just the Seymour Duncan catalog you'll find dozens of humbucking models with various tonal centers, output and frequency response (and mounting - there are stacked ones as well).

Seriously, it will take some research and time playing many models of guitars with different humbuckings to determine what you *really* want! There are wonderful humbuckings; slightly bland ones; and godawful cheap crappy ones - all made "generally" the same way!

2. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

I concur with Jim. I guess, if someone is to chase down one of these Gibsons with the Glaser, I feel it should NOT be based on the P90 or Humbucker sound , it should be based on what the guitar offers. Pull the B or Pull the G. Everything else is secondary.

As Jim states above, if the overall HBucker TONE is what you are seeking , and that is of primary importance , then this is probably the wrong Instrument. No different than those who may chase down a Fender PG instrument, its the PG they want, they will deal with the TONE later if not pleased.

If you want one of these Gibson Glaser guitars, they are few and far between. If you do happen find one , my thinking is, you grab it for what it is and never mind the P90's vs the HBucker thing.

I've always thought about getting one over the last many years, but there were NONE around. At present, I've only seen two in my entire life ! My friend down the road has one, I didn't even know it. I saw it, played it, then found one on Reverb and bought it. These are the only two I have ever seen "LIVE".

I have an outdoor festival gig this afternoon, I'm leaving my go to Tele/Bender home, the Gibson is coming out and I'm plugging it in to the Dr Z Maz 38 !

I should mention that I did recently have the Gibson frets dressed down to .040 which is what the Tele's are. The Gibson radius is 12 " compared to the 7.25 and 9.5's but its a thin neck front to back. It plays very well . The overall weight is near the same. Should be fun!

3. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

continuing on... I brought the Gibson out to my festival gig last night, I did decide to bring my 08 Tele with the Forrest Lee Bender as well , just in case. Comparing them, the Gibson was WAY brighter than the Tele given the same amp scenario. It played great but I didn't play it much as the tonal differences were too far apart, I need more seat time with this guitar plugged into an amp rather than sitting down playing "unplugged" at home.

Overall though, this guitar will cut it just fine with the P90's , there were some "wow" moments. I just need to spend some time getting to know it.

Oh yeah, the Bender was flawless !

4. Matt G

Matt G Tele-Afflicted

Thanks for the updates, gents, particularly to Jim and Tony for taking the time to answer in detail. It sounds like the smart play is to get one of these Gibsons for the bender, and work out the pickup questions later (if ever). Assuming one can be found at all! Which is one of the frustrations of living Down Under. The relative availability of interesting kit, and the cost (or cost of shipping) can turn an ordinary acquisition into an . . . 'investment'.

T Prior likes this.
  5. Mur

Mur Tele-Afflicted

That LP Special looks awesome!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.