There is no hope for me - ANOTHER Gibson/Glaser LP Special!

Discussion in 'B-Bender Forum' started by Silverface, Jul 22, 2019.

1. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Yeah, I traded some stuff for ANOTHER Gibson/Glaser bender (I REFUSE to use the stupid name "Music City Jr.", which makes it sound like a POS beginner guitar!)

After Will Ray's "Bottom Feeder" column this month - featuring the one I traded to him a while back - I had this impending sense off doom that I would end up with another one. For several orthopedic-related (neck profile) reasons I've been playing mostly Gibsons lately, and I REALLY like P-90's anyway.

Coincidentally, a =buddy I was in the process of selling a Fender 400 pedal steel to found a good deal on one and was gonna buy it - so I said "how about a swap for the steel"? So.....a few days later, here it was!

At 7# 9 oz it's lighter than I recall, and the smaller body makes it easier for me to play than a Tele (with my chronic pain and orthopedic issues).

But the biggest difference is that this Glaser is MUCH smoother than my old one and others I've played. The pull is absolutely linear and controllable - I can slow, stop, reverse direction and whatever at any point in the "throw". In my experience - and I've played hundreds - the ONLY other bender with that kind of control is the Evans Pull String.

But one thing that I WILL change is the finish on the fretboard...or actually, I will ADD finish to the fretboard - sand it clean, anding sealer, clear lacquer, a couple coats of light amber (tinted to match the body), a few coats of clear gloss and buff it to a medium sheen. That's the other stupid decision (besides the name) Gibson made, and those two screwups are probably why it never sold very well and the sunburst version was never released.)

Here ya' go -

Les Paul Special Glaser bender - full front.JPG Gibson Les Paul Special - Glaser - full back.JPG controls.JPG case.JPG in case.JPG

2. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

Nice. They sure went up in price.

3. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

Nice..just got JPJ last week..having a blast with it..p90 goodness..sweet guitar..enjoy !! looks great

4. Rick Towne

Rick Towne Tele-Afflicted

Paging Frank Reckard!

That sounds like a description of my 1993 Glaser; perhaps mine is smoother because it's a lefty.

5. Mur

Mur Tele-Afflicted

Neat lookin' little Gibson . . .and nice to see you guys are still ...well ...around lol ! !

6. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Cool!

7. Rick Towne

Rick Towne Tele-Afflicted

Even better; I’m younger than that now. Although we have had several “interesting” years.

8. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

I love me some MM/Junior Gibby. That tortoise shell really sets that guitar off.

I have a 2008 MM that was 'relicc'd' by someone and I got for $Au400/US250. That's about 2/3 going prices here.

I'm going to fit a SD P-rails and repaint it gloss bumblebee burst with a TS guard I'm cutting.

Thunderbolt bridge, I love that fat neck, ultra comfortable. It just rings, one of the loudest unplugged guitars I've ever heard.

IMG_20190721_151051.jpg

9. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

excellent JIM ! Congrats ! Enjoy it as I enjoy mine.

For me, mine, the only thing I have done so far is clean the neck then added 3 coats of semi gloss clear. Took maybe 2 days for all the coats to dry and then sand with 1000 grit.

I'm still going to have the frets dressed down a tad as they are HIGHER than my favorite Tele fret heights. I play with 9's and there is some pitch issues when fretting the lower frets.

other than that, I happen to think that this is one great guitar ! And a thing of beauty !

My take on why they didn't continue production is that it was not cost effective, a USA Les Paul with a Glaser system trying to stay competitive with a Fender PG guitar, which is also no longer available, was not in the cards. It was a great idea but at around $1400 new it seems impractical., especially because each of the Glaser systems had to be installed by hand unlike the drop in PG system. Too much labor. They made about 500, every one of them sold, there were no left-overs.

thats my take, right or wrong.

Play it in good health !

tp

Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
  10. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

First time I've installed Keith tuners on the A and high E strings and not had to ream out the peghead to 10 mm! :lol:

Headstock front.jpeg headstock back.jpeg

T Prior and string pull like this.
  11. T Prior

wow Jim how kool is that ! What are you changing the tuning to with those two ditty's ?

regarding mine, I brought it to the local Luthier, he dressed the frets down .The frets measured just over .050. I had them brought down to .038/.040 like my Telecasters . I fret hard so there was some pitch issues with the tall frets.

This guitar now plays totally different, the feel, the touch etc, its a new guitar !

Festival gig Sat evening, I'm bringing it out . While I prefer the 7.25 or even the 9.5 profiles I can play this 12.0 just fine as it has a pretty thin neck front to back. Its far from a baseball bat !

Last edited: Aug 17, 2019 at 4:16 AM
  12. Matt G

Matt G Tele-Afflicted

This is starting to look fun. Dunno if there are any of these in Australia. Will be keeping my eyes open.

13. T Prior

Its more than fun ! Find one and grab it ! Mine came from a Reverb sale late last year .

Surprisingly my friend down the road bought a new one when they were available, I waited too long and when I decided to buy one there weren't any around. So now, years later there are TWO of them within a 5 mile circle , maybe the only two in the State of NC for all I know ! I have never seen another. When my guitar buddies see it , they ask.."What the heck is that " ? Its said that maybe only 500 were made in a two year period, there are no RI's ! :)

Now my Luthier buddy , who dressed the frets , wants one !

14. Matt G

Matt G Tele-Afflicted

I don't know how I missed these, first time around. Would the P90s fill the Les Paul-sized gap in my current guitar herd?

T Prior likes this.
  15. T Prior

I can't answer that, it's not like a H Bucker Gibson mid range tone, I find mine to be leaning bright, seeing the P90s are single coils , thats kinda what I expected !

Its not like a Telecaster, its got it's own thing going on, a GOOD thing !

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.