There is no D# in the key of Cm...

BigDaddyLH

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
There is no key of C# major. Or were you just being facetious?

f7fd6d84_t-001-fugue-c-sharp-major-bwv-872-1200w.jpg

oldunc

Friend of Leo's
The origins of a lot of that theory is in untempered scales, where C# and Db are not the same, but also who wants to play in ten sharps?

Marc Morfei

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
...nice lady sending me chord charts.

Got some gigs coming up, adding lead guitar and vocals to a former duo, now wanting to go out as a trio.

It shouldn't bother me, but it does. Cm is 3 flats -- Eb, Ab, Bb. The scale is C D Eb F G Ab Bb. Eb is right there. D#? Nope.
Huh?

Pastoral

TDPRI Member
Silver Supporter
There is no key of C# major. Or were you just being facetious?
When I took piano lessons as a kid, I was taught C# w. 7 sharps was the key after F# (w. 6). 1980s, my piano teacher was classically trained in Europe. In that framework, there was no D flat. I could be remembering this incorrectly, but I don't think so.

Wrighty

Poster Extraordinaire
It's kind of weird that D is never sharp. E is flat. OTOH, you can have both F# and Gb in your musical language. C can be sharp and D can be flat. Traditions.

The key of C# would be C# D# E# E F# G# A# B...................doesn’t work! So, C# D# F Gb Ab Bb C C#, except tgat there is then no alphabetic progression. Therefore, it has to be the key of Db Eb F Gb Ab Bb C Db

BigDaddyLH

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member

Rich_S

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
In a recent thread, a surprising number of people said their tinnitus was sounding a B#, but I said mine was a C. I suppose there is such a thing as a B#, but you’d have to be playing a song in seven sharps (ie C# Major) and who does that?

P.S. I wrote this post before reading several above along the same lines.

Now I want to start writing songs in C# Major, but only to piss off the keyboard player.

Teleguy61

Friend of Leo's

Got some gigs coming up, adding lead guitar and vocals to a former duo, now wanting to go out as a trio.

It shouldn't bother me, but it does. Cm is 3 flats -- Eb, Ab, Bb. The scale is C D Eb F G Ab Bb. Eb is right there. D#? Nope.

E's flat, Ah's flat too.

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member

I may have missed a comment, but I believe the point that no one has mentioned is that you don't normally MIX flats and sharps. I suppose you "could" if it was simply an accidental, but even then I doubt a "legitimate" composer would do that. On the other hand, in a casual get together, someone might call out a flat or sharp note that doesn't technically belong, just for speed and convenience.
Some of the guys I play with can't even agree on what key a song is in. If a song in "C" begins on the IV (F), they want to say it's in the key of "F"......they simply don't understand keys or scales. :(

Matt Sarad

Tele-Afflicted
The drummer who corrected the bassist t studied classical piano for many years. He found that paying gigs were easier to come by. He has an encyclopedic knowledge of show tunes and is an ace sight reader as well.
He makes good money playing in retirement homes on weekends, far better than playing blues with us.

BigDaddyLH

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
It's been way too long since any university music theory classes, so I won't "argue".....but isn't the C# technically an accidental? What would the key signature for D Harmonic minor be?

Yes, D minor is relative to F so the key signature has one flat. You used the phrase "you don't normally MIX flats and sharps", and I took that to mean something more than "in a key signature".