There Goes the Neighborhood

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by TheGoodTexan, May 12, 2020.

1. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    I have no idea. I just know that he’s a nice guy, with a cool car, and said he didn’t want the cops coming around over something like this.

2. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The only problem that I can see with this is that if the kid is indeed living in a dysfunctional and/or abusive environment, the parents may very well have a significant issue with somebody else spending time with and influencing their kid. That could escalate into a nasty situation.

TheGoodTexan likes this.
  3. Jlwctn

Jlwctn Tele-Meister

It was established that the mother was abusing the dog, albeit 10 years ago, with no consequences.
    Her child has issues with abuse and violence, and acts out, with no consequences.
    Coincidence??? Yeah, right.
    We are seeing more and more that women can be the abusers of the household.
    Meanwhile, the neighbor has chosen not to file charges, or get the authorities involved. He still has a Constitutional Right To Privacy, (for the mean time), whether he has anything to hide, or not.
    Is it that, or does he not want to get his psycho neighbor hacked off at him?
    The kid will act out again. Talking to him might be the best thing that ever happens to him.

4. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Friend of Leo's

Maybe the Corvette is not insured, or even owned by the neighbour

5. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I only knew one kid like that that ended up in prison. The rest became cops.

6. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

In life what matters is what one did … not why .

7. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

what is to stop him from calling his insurance and saying, 'oh man, I was out at a flea market and when I came back to my car, this big ol scratch is on my car'

you know, a place with no cameras, no witnesses, just a car and a scratch. The insurance will pay, no problem.

Frodebro and TheGoodTexan like this.
  8. wrathfuldeity

wrathfuldeity Tele-Afflicted

A thing that has not been mentioned; is that the neighborhood can become involved. We had a kid who was the grandson of the home owner. The kid and his friends were living it up as a party house with some weekly drug dealing and with the ocassional DV calls.

So a neighbor and I decided to inform the other neighbors of the situation...many did not want to become involved for fear of retaliation. The neighbor and I did the following:

We wrote an anonymous letter from "concerned neighbors" to the resident/kid (in OP's case to the parents) and then cc'd it to the neighborhood association, 2 nearby middle and high school principles, the local PD gang/drug unit, the mayor's office, the local prosecutors office and to the grandfather/home owner. We merely stated our concerns for health and safety, cited all the relevant civil codes/statutes and that it was our hope that the kid would clean up his act.

Well, drug sales and party house activities stopped immediately, the PD was there the next day, the kid moved out within a month, the grandfather/home owner came in and fixed up the house and put it up for sale...fairly quickly a young couple bought it, did a major renovation and now we have a great little family living there.

Anyway the letter was designed to make sure that nobody could claim plausible deniability and therefore there was clearly pressure to something before a tragic event. It worked like a charm ;).

9. koolaide

koolaide Tele-Holic

INSURANCE FRAUD! (please read my John Wayne quote at the end of this post)
    Besides, I know 1st hand that lot's of people tried things like this thinking they would never get caught. They did. Not worth it IMHO. YMMV.

In case you do not know, If you intentionally misrepresent facts to your insurance company(and get caught) there is no coverage for your loss. And if the company takes a hard line they may report it to the criminal authorities.

Sorry if I sound like I agree with the insurance company. I don't always. In fact I detest the industry for the most part. But... I do have integrity.

Come on folks you learned the difference between right and wrong by the time you were in kindergarten.

This will be my last post on this subject. Carry on.

MickM and SonicMustang like this.
  10. getbent

I like my insurance company, the people I deal with have always been helpful. I have never committed insurance fraud. I also know it would be trivial to do and with a tiny bit of forethought, the chances of discovery would be nil. I'd also note that my life has not been particularly difficult, marion morrison not withstanding. I think stupid people committing fraud WOULD get caught... and stupid people (on the insurance side) would have high confidence that they catch even a mentionable amount of people committing fraud.

It is too bad that your life's work was for folks you detest! That sounds awful.

jhundt likes this.
  11. doctorunderhill

doctorunderhill Tele-Meister

that fiberglass is Hell to dent.

Uncle Bob and getbent like this.
  12. Ronzo

Ronzo Tele-Meister

And what parent would want their 10 year old child to watch Tarentino’s Once Upon A Time In Hollywood? An “alternate universe” version of the Charles Manson murders?

Adult-intended movies should not be the cause of children’s behavior.

is this violent 10 year old child suffering from a violent form of Autism? Or something similar? If so, the parents have their hands full already. Maybe the neighbor whose Corvette was damaged might know that, and didn’t want to impose more problems on a damaged family.

OP, maybe more information would be helpful to you in figuring out the best approach.

TheGoodTexan and jhundt like this.
  13. SonicMustang

SonicMustang Tele-Meister

Tell the little girl to punch that kid in the face.

MickM likes this.
  14. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

yes, of course no responsible parent would allow a child to watch a film like that... or play Grand Theft Auto or any other shooting video game. Ha Ha Ha! Too bad this is the real world!

getbent and Frodebro like this.
  15. Frodebro

If this were this case, there is a high probability that the parents would have at least quietly approached the car owner and the girl's parents and explained the situation, then made things right. But the mom denied her precious little offspring did anything wrong, which leads me to believe that it is a matter of a dysfunctional situation and not any medical issues.

SonicMustang, jhundt and getbent like this.
  16. jhundt

except that many parents never notice their own childrens' problems. And many parents are frightened of the idea that their child may be autistic to some degree. The term still carries a whole lot of negative and frightening connotations. As a result, many parents turn a blind eye and hope that everything will work out, somehow; and they never recognize the problem, or seek the help that might improve the life of the child.

It doesn't help when all that kind of advice and treatment costs a lot of money. Or when those around you keep telling you "everything's fine! He'll grow out of it..."

Frodebro likes this.
  17. Frodebro

This is a possibility as well.

jhundt likes this.
  18. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

That particular family of protoplasm have all had multiple run-ins with the law...it seems that there seems to be a different “Golden Rule” than the one I was taught in effect for them...their version is “He who has the gold doesn’t have to follow the rules.”

I once read something that is very fitting in regard to the affluenza family;
    Money is like sunshine.
    If it shines on something beautiful, you can see it’s beauty and it becomes even more attractive.
    If it shines on trash, you can see that it’s trash and it starts to stink.

The murders (it was deemed an accident, but let’s be honest—it was a quadruple murder) happened less than two miles from my church, almost equidistant between my home and my in-laws home. I have met one of the homeowners whose wife and daughter were killed (I didn’t know who he was, and was only told later). He’s a much better man than me...I don’t think my response would have been as proper as his.

Uncle Bob and tery like this.
  19. jhundt

OK, now I have to know about this Marion Morrison thing...

20. getbent

Last edited: May 13, 2020
    jhundt likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.