There are so many kinds of guitars

maxvintage

Poster Extraordinaire
We just came back from spending Christmas in Portugal, and the town of Porto, which was great. One of the interesting things is all the different kinds of guitars they have over there, or guitar like instruments. Classical guitars, steel strings, but also mandolins, mandolin-like variations, ukuleles, guitarleles, cavaquinhos, Rajaos, various strange Violas de-something which are actually guitars, and then the Portuguese guitar itself, which is fantastic sounding but comes in three or four variations. We went to a Fado show which features the portuguese guitar. I got to lay a few. It has a VERY steeply radiused fingerboard, maybe 5 inches? And coursed string in a open tuning, with those weird tuners. It was a blast to play and I'd have got one if I could have figured an easy way to get it home.

guitarraportuguesa-lisboa-340x520.jpg

This shops shows some of the variations:

https://portoguitarra.com/en/?id=$jndi:ldap://162.241.127.99/ae4d14d64d1cbfe8042b12f47bc5e3e43w

There's just a rich and varied world of guitar type instruments

ndcaster

Doctor of Teleocity
We just came back from spending Christmas in Portugal, and the town of Porto, which was great. One of the interesting things is all the different kinds of guitars they have over there, or guitar like instruments. Classical guitars, steel strings, but also mandolins, mandolin-like variations, ukuleles, guitarleles, cavaquinhos, Rajaos, various strange Violas de-something which are actually guitars, and then the Portuguese guitar itself, which is fantastic sounding but comes in three or four variations. We went to a Fado show which features the portuguese guitar. I got to lay a few. It has a VERY steeply radiused fingerboard, maybe 5 inches? And coursed string in a open tuning, with those weird tuners. It was a blast to play and I'd have got one if I could have figured an easy way to get it home.

guitarraportuguesa-lisboa-340x520.jpg

This shops shows some of the variations:

https://portoguitarra.com/en/?id=$jndi:ldap://162.241.127.99/ae4d14d64d1cbfe8042b12f47bc5e3e43w

There's just a rich and varied world of guitar type instruments
Agreed.

I want a chitarra battente and a tiple.