There are many days I'm convinced this is the most versatile and fun tele there ever was...

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by audiopablo, Jul 11, 2019.

1. audiopablo

audiopablo Tele-Meister

[​IMG]

I have 5 teles (down from 8), but lots of days, I pick up this and find my way right away. Its single coil mode will never sound like a broadcaster, twisted tele, v-mod, etc., but that's okay with me. It has its own thing. And I love the humbuckers. It just sounds great, especially driving my favorite pedals.

2. JimHalinda

JimHalinda TDPRI Member

[​IMG]

I'm having lots of fun with this one, Creamery Classic 71 Wide Range humbuckers with push/pull pots for series/parallel, coil split, and phase. Very versatile for me too!

3. audiopablo

audiopablo Tele-Meister

Ooooh!! I like it a lot. My #1 for the longest was a 72 MIM reissue. I still love that guitar. (don’t ask what the hell I was looking up at here. Probably right after playing the wrong note on live TV. Lucky it was S. America and I don’t really know too many people there. It’s either no sound check and play directly in a board there, or play along to a recording that’s 20 years old and try to make it look authentic.)

[​IMG]

I don’t have any interesting wiring on it, but I’m a big fan of 2 tones, 2 volumes. The addition of what you have is what I wish I had all these years?

Is yours a custom build or is it available to the rest of us? I assume the creamery pickups are aftermarket, but did the wiring come standard? I really, really, really like your guitar. Also, 3 bolt neck or 4? I honestly don’t get why people slag the 3 bolts. I’ve got thousands of miles in cars, busses and planes. I checked my guitar in baggage claim every single time - probably over a hundred times. It still plays well. The only wear is the frets, and they’re not too bad.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
  4. dougstrum

dougstrum Tele-Holic

That sure is a pretty guitar!

audiopablo likes this.
  5. RiverDog

RiverDog Tele-Afflicted

Gorgeous! Where did you get that sweet pickguard?

6. Deathray

Deathray Tele-Meister

I own the exact twin to your Tele HH! And it is my favorite of the 2 teles I own. It is also tied for overall #1 with my Jazzmaster.
    E645BF79-C657-4722-943C-EDA32E21780C.jpeg

7. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's

does it have the belly contour on the back ? I wish all modern day Tele's had that belly cut (except for Vintage models, of course).

Fretting out likes this.
  8. JimHalinda

JimHalinda TDPRI Member

The pickguard is from WD Music Products. It's purple mirrored, and hard to take a picture of!

This was a stock Squier Vintage Modified Tele Deluxe, Olympic White with a black pickguard. It did not come with any special switching options.

I bought it with the intention of putting in the Creamery pickups, and I wanted the switching options, so I had my tech take the new pickguard, put in the new pickups, and then the rest was all new parts, the switch, push pull 1 Meg pots, caps, wiring, even the output jack (had him put in an electrosocket jack).

He just removed the old pickguard and jack and put them aside, then put the new assembly on.

Note: WD do not make a pickguard for the Squier VM model, I had to get the MIM pickguard, and the screw holes did not line up correctly, so my tech filled and drilled holes where necessary.

After all was said and done I'd spent as much on the mods as the guitar itself! But now it is a killer machine.

Fretting out likes this.
  9. audiopablo

audiopablo Tele-Meister

Belly cut = yes.

I'm all for that cut. I'm interested to try a tele with a forearm cut, too. I've only seen that on that nashville elite parallel tele. I missed my chance on a well-priced used one and I'm kicking myself.

10. audiopablo

audiopablo Tele-Meister

I've been looking for a JM lately. I have a johnny marr jag and you'd think I'd play it more. It sounds so great, but I feel like I have to be in a mood to play that neck. This player HH tele is just instant for me. Strange how that works.

Fretting out and Deathray like this.
  11. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's

Suhr does both front and back contours on their T-style guitars...I know of no other.

audiopablo likes this.
  12. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's

13. LocoTex

LocoTex Tele-Afflicted

Did you flip the neck pickup on yours Pablo?

14. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Meister

Nope this one.....
    IMG_20190710_173656.jpg

Maybe this one..
    IMG_20180605_131507_519.jpg

audiopablo likes this.
  15. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Friend of Leo's

Many years ago, I owned the cheaper ( MIJ) "JD Tele"

( the USA Jerry Donahue Tele, had 3 PU's)

This Tele had 2 PU's one twangy Tele Bridge PU, one uncovered Strat Neck PU and a 5-position ' barrel knob' Tele switch, Master Volume and Tone ( so all looks pretty stock)
    Note: except #5, Tone Control works on all settings:

Position #1 bridge PU alone

#2 Both PU's with a filter, so it sounded like Strat #2 sound...

#3 both PU's ON - like today's stock

#4 Neck PU alone ( with Tone knob)

#5 Neck PU alone wired to output jack( NO Tone control, bypassed) clear and hot!
    Fun guitar ( had to sell...)

audiopablo and Fretting out like this.
  16. audiopablo

audiopablo Tele-Meister

Oof!!!! You know what? I bought it scratch and dent (was a hair over $300) and it arrived with one deep dent (I'm okay with that) and the neck pickup wired, but unattached by screws! I was about to send it back, but screwed it in and it all worked fine. Maybe I need to flip it back... but you know what? The middle position is awesome in with the splits. Maybe I just keep it how it is. Maybe it would be the "audiopablo" mod if I could get better as a player (or at least a new song and a hit).

edit: I just played the neck by pickup now and it does sound funky. I think I'll flip right... right after I fix the washing machine.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
    Skydog1010 and Fretting out like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.