Theory books. Again !

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by johnny k, Mar 31, 2019.

1. johnny k

johnny k Friend of Leo's

I want to have a look at the more technical aspects of music / guitar theory. I don t know anything about it. What are modes, and so on. I need something that i can read before going to bed, i.e. a simple enough book. Is guitar theory for dummies any good ? It looks like i might be able to tackle this one.

If you have suggestions, i m all ears.

2. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

the thing that helped me the most
    [​IMG]

3. Teleka

Teleka TDPRI Member

A few classics:

Ted Greene Chord Chemistry
    Mick Goodrich The Advancing Guitarist
    Mickey Baker's Jazz Guitar

johnny k likes this.
  4. johnny k

johnny k Friend of Leo's

I know a bit about those relatives notes already. Thanks !

5. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

Great books but based on what the OP is asking about these wouldn't be relevant IMO as these aren't really theory books. If you just want to learn music theory then probably the 'For Dummies' book you mention would be a reasonable choice....I've never looked at it personally but it seems like it would cover the stuff you've mentioned in a theoretical way as well as the bonus of showing you how that lays out on the fretboard.

johnny k likes this.
  6. jimd

jimd Friend of Leo's

Guran and johnny k like this.
  7. DuckDodgers

DuckDodgers Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

8. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

can you read music already?

johnny k likes this.
  9. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Friend of Leo's

The Dummies book will certainly get you started. If you want to go further I suggest you look at Eric Taylor's books that are published by the Associated Boards of the Royal Schools of Music. Individually they are inexpensive, but there are quite a few of them in total :)

johnny k likes this.
  10. dkmw

dkmw Friend of Leo's

Poke around on the web a bit for discussion/lessons about the circle. There's enough there to keep you busy for a while. I still only get (or use) about 1/3 of it.

johnny k likes this.
  11. jomazq

jomazq Tele-Meister

I'm having a good time with Rick beato's beato book. It's got allot of the basics up front.

johnny k and Nelg like this.
  12. heltershelton

heltershelton Tele-Afflicted

knowing theory has nothing to do with reading music.
    knowing theory has to do with how chords are built, the structure of keys, how harmonized scales are chords, and things like that.
    I knew how to read music way before I learned any theory.

johnny k likes this.
  13. Henry Mars

Henry Mars Tele-Afflicted

Mel Bay's Jazz Guitar Method by Ronnie Lee is a good starting place to start to learn things. It is not the definitive treatise bur it is a good start for the beginner with some playing skill.

johnny k likes this.
  14. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

er, if he can read standard notation, that would affect my recommendations about books

johnny k and boneyguy like this.
  15. erratick

erratick Tele-Holic

Simple? hmmm.

I don't have a winning suggestion, but the For Dummies book looks solid for bedside reading and moving along some learning. You'll probably need your guitar to really get the most out of it.

I'm in the middle of the Levine Jazz Theory book. I wouldn't say it is simple. It is a book that was recommended earlier in the thread, and I recommend. But it does not have a guitar focus and is very dense, not simple. Fortunately music theory is applicable to any instrument.

However before you could take on the Levine book as a guitarist, you'd probably need to understand a good portion of this:

http://daystarvisions.com/Music/Practical_Music_Theory_for_Guitar_Players.pdf

Which is what I'd consider pretty basic stuff (notes, major/minor scale, major/minor triads/chords). Underestimate the circle of 5ths/4ths at your own peril.

https://roelhollander.eu/en/blog-saxophone/Coltrane-Tone-Circle/

johnny k likes this.
  16. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

Yeah, that's what I figured when I read your post.....instead you got a lecture!

TokyoPortrait and johnny k like this.
  17. RoyalBaby

RoyalBaby Tele-Afflicted

The Keith Wyatt book Harmony and Theory a Comprehensive Source for all Musicians was recommended when I was looking for a book for my son. I should sit and read it one day but he found it straightforward.

johnny k likes this.
  18. johnny k

johnny k Friend of Leo's

read music ? a bit on the G clef. It ll take me a bit of thinking, but that can t be a bad thing.:)

19. Guran

Guran Friend of Leo's

It's called "Edly's Music Theory for Practical People" and I think it's good. I think this is pretty much what OP asks for.

johnny k likes this.
  20. klasaine

klasaine Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Yes, exactly. You learned to read first.
    Being able to read music, at least in treble clef (the G clef), will absolutely make it easier to learn music fundamentals as well as harmony. Reading bass clef will help too as most book about music mechanics use the piano as their reference.

What is commonly referred to as 'music theory' here on the internet is actually music fundamentals: clefs, keys, scales, intervals, triads and 7th chords, note values and time signatures.
    How chords work with a melody within the structure of a piece of music i.e., chord progressions, modulations, more complex chords and chord substitutions - that's harmony. You'll be hard pressed to find a book that discusses it w/out using standard notation in both treble and bass clef (again, piano). But all you need to be able to do is know what and where those notes are on the staff. You don't have to sight read it perfectly on your instrument.

Notation is the written language of music. To play music, as to speak a language, you don't need to be able to read or write. But if you're gonna codify it and try to explain it to somebody - which is what a book is trying to do - then you have to be able to read and write in that language.

My pick ... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004HO61D0/?tag=tdpri-20

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.