1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Then there were 4...another Tele gone

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by burntfrijoles, Oct 20, 2020.

1. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

I sold my Sonic Blue CS Tele. Only my 61 Relic Strat, 57 NOS Strat, 63 NOS Tele and SG remain. I think the SG will be next and soon. It’s a fine guitar but I really don’t a humbucker equipped guitar.
    I’ve been wanting to simplify my for years but I just couldn’t decide which should go. I finally selected the Sonic Blue because it’s the one pick up the least.
    So in the last 5 years, I’ve gone from nine electrics to four and from 5 acoustics to just two.
    Assuming the SG goes, I think my remaining will meet all my needs. I’m done with the illusion of getting all the tones: Gibson, Gretsch, Ric, etc. A Strat and a Tele. I’m good.

2. G-52

G-52 Tele-Meister

I’m due to pare down as well. Curious what venue you find works best to sell the high end guitars, CS, etc.?

3. stxrus

stxrus Poster Extraordinaire

This is just me but I’d keep a tele & the SG. You can cover so much territory with those two than almost any other combination

BTW, I’m just not a Strat guy

Nahtabot and gimmeatele like this.
  4. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

Ah yes, I go through this myself.

To once again paraphrase,
    “There is a time for gathering guitars together and there is a time for casting them away”.

Like many folks, I’ve owned a good many guitars over the years.
    Probably a couple dozen or so electric guitars, and half of them Strats! I am currently down to my Tele and my Junior and I’m considering putting Junior up for adoption.

However, I currently have three acoustic guitars and am considering adding an HD-28 to the fold.

5. blue metalflake

blue metalflake Doctor of Teleocity

The danger is that you have a good clear out, then start the cycle again by buying one that is “too good to be true” or “a bargain”. Been there!

6. burntfrijoles

I’m lucky that I have a friend who is a musician and he can let some of the guitarists he knows that I have an item. I’ve also sold some items to GC. I knew the manager and he would give me a decent price because my guitars are all near mint.
    I’ve also sold a few things t Cream City Music in Wisconsin. They send me a prepaid shipping label. They offer fair prices.
    Also there are retailers like Wildwood that selling consignment.
    I don’t like the risk and hassle of Craigslist, eBay or Reverb plus I usually want to move it quickly.

7. burntfrijoles

Nope. I’ve certainly been that road before but I’m done. I decided I wanted a particular guitar, I’d sell one m current guitars. I just finished deciding against a “dream” guitar purchase and, since then, my appetite for guitars has disappeared. The Strats and Tele are all I need or want.
    There comes a time when you can accept that just because a Les Paul, ES-335, Ric 12 String, Gretsch, etc would be wonderful to own, it really doesn’t serve a purpose other than fulfill a silly fantasy. The same with amps. Why do I need more than one?

8. G-52

G-52 Tele-Meister

@burntfrijoles - WW is right up the road, I’ll start there when I’m ready; thanks for the input:)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.