1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Then... or NOW... PURE FANTASY

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by getbent, Jun 18, 2010.

1. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

lets say that Mr. Peabody calls you and tells you he has the 'wayback machine' working....

here is how it works--->

you pick the age you would want to be:

The year you would visit:

The place that you'd be playing:

The gear you'd have:

Who would be in the audience/crowd:

you can add in who your bandmates would be (must be period correct) and all that stuff if you want.

2. slickschoppers

slickschoppers Tele-Holic

I would want to be 19
    Louisiana (the hayride)
    jumbo Gibson Acoustic Mic'ed
    the whole USA would be in the audience (I could care less how big the audience would be though, just to play with them.........)

my bandmates... Hank Williams, Bob McNett (guitar), Hillous Butrum (bass), Jerry Rivers (fiddle) and Don Helms (steel guitar) they were the Drifting Cowboys.....

Last edited: Jun 19, 2010
  3. ibobunot

ibobunot Poster Extraordinaire

Mid 50's

San Francisco: Catching the first waves of the coming good times.

Everywhere.

All the classic Fender, germanium goodies.

With everybody.

I'd die of exhaustion in 1980 as the wave faded just saying no to the storm of suck visible on the horizon.... :D

4. jbmando

jbmando Poster Extraordinaire

I'd add 7 years to my actual age and be 22 in 1967 at Monterey Pop Festival playing a Gretsch Country Gentleman through a Fender Dual Showman for All the Beautiful Flower Children and everybody hip and Peter Lewis, Jerry Miller, Bob Mosley, Skip Spence, Don Stevenson (Moby Grape) would be my band-mates. I truly believe that if Skip Spence had stayed straight they could have been as big as the Beatles.

5. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

My age: 25 years old.

The year you would visit:

The place that you'd be playing:
    The Fillmore East -re-opened for one more performance just for me and my guys.

The gear you'd have:
    72 Tele Deluxe
    1971 Marshall Plexi SuperLead 100

Who would be in the audience/crowd:
    Lester Bangs, Robert Stigwood, Ralph Bakshi, Hunter Thompson, Jane Fonda, Cheryl Tiegs, Francis Coppola, Andy Warhol, Goldi Hawn, Peter Grant, Patti Smith, Joe Namath, Margaret Trudeau, Warren Beatty, Linda Lovelace, The Rolling Stones, The Dallas Cheerleaders.

your bandmates would be:
    Joe Cocker, Linda Ronstadt, Buddy Myles, James Jamerson, Mick Taylor, Tower of Power horn section, Roy Bittan, Garth Hudson, Steve Cropper.

6. ScatMan

ScatMan Friend of Leo's

Age: -9 months, 16 days (3/18/60)..I'm having lunch with my buddy Scotty Moore in Nashville at Nero's Cactus Canyon grill. He's telling me how exciting it is to be recording with Elvis again after his two years in the army..I recommend the tuna.

(3/19/60)..Scotty becomes violently ill with food poisoning so I get the session call to replace him.

(3/20/60)..I walk into RCA's studio B with my '59 Tele and a '57 Fender Bassman along with Hank Garland (who brought his Gibson EB6 because Bill Black was busy with the Bill Black Combo), D.J. Fontana and the Jordanaires. Hank promptly tells me to "ditch that silly plank guitar" and use his Byrdland instead. We cut "Stuck On You" with Elvis.

Colonel Tom is standing in the control room constantly tap-tap-tapping on his Rolex Oyster Royal stainless steel wristwatch and glowering at us as if to say: "Time is money boys, time is money..".

7. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

nice fellers, keep'em coming... fun reading!

8. Mark Davis

Mark Davis Telefied Ad Free Member

January 16, 1938

Benny Goodman at Carnegie Hall.

25 years old

Im playing A Gibson Super 400 and Benny lets me take a lead.

9. octatonic

octatonic Poster Extraordinaire

I try not to look back too much.

Today.
    Iridium Club in NYC.
    Anderson Cobra T into 65 Amps Soho & my current pedalboard.
    Sitting in with Wayne Krantz's current band.

Audience can either be oh-so-very-serious fusion-heads OR 19 year old co-eds in bikini's.

10. jjkrause84

jjkrause84 Poster Extraordinaire

1969 or so

gear would be a JTM50 and 335 OR an AC30/4 and a fat tele (I know they didn't "exist" but I could make one right?)...don't wanna step on Eric's shoes TOO much.

band would be the Dirty Mac: John Lennon, Eric Clapton, Mitch Mitchell, Keith Richards and me.

audience would be the world

EDIT: Nevermind, I'd take Keith Richard's spot at bass...leave guitar to the masters ;)

11. e-merlin

e-merlin Doctor of Teleocity

How about 50 years into the future with most of Steely Dan, Charlie Watts drumming, Brecker Brothers for horns.

Introduce the folks to "Music..."

12. Big John

Big John RIP

Does it count if I say i'm happy where i'm at right now ?

Slightly better paid gigs would be nice though ;)

13. bender-freak

bender-freak Friend of Leo's

at ANY age and time, it would be a great "what if" to be in a string-pull with my heros; in no particular order except for the first one; he would be #1... Chester Atkins, Les Paul, Mary Ford, Merle Travis, Phil Baugh, Roy Nichols, Hank Garland, Jimmy Bryant, Grady Martin, Joe Maphis, Neil LeVang, Buddy Merrill.

making money would be no object; heck, i would pay THEM....ya know..!!?. i guess there's only the last two guys on my list there that are even still around..!!

14. Telehackster

Telehackster Tele-Afflicted

Year and Place: London, 1963

Gear: '52 Esquire, '59 Les Paul, brownface Deluxe

Crowd: motley assortment of musicians, gangsters and writers from the period

Band: various people, but I'd want Randy Phelps at my side to offer advice and bail money for when I followed his advice--then again maybe we ought to scratch the gangsters . . .

15. Wailin' Tele

Wailin' Tele Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Bicentennial party at the playboy mansion
    playing disco in tight jumpsuit with a '59 burst
    band mates a bunch of ugly midgets (excellent musicians btw)
    Im 26.

let the fun begin.

16. Oster

Oster Friend of Leo's

1923-24. NYC, Cinderella Ballroom with the Wolverine Orchestra alongside Bix Beiderbecke, playing to a crowd of beautiful young dancing flappers. It's my fantasy so I'm on drums and I'm pretty good! The gin is getting passed around between numbers and I'd be around, say, 21.

Barring that, jbmando's scenario looks pretty cool too!

17. micpoc

micpoc Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

My age: 20

The year: 1976

The place: CBGBs, a cold autumn evening

The gear: Since Verlaine and Quine would have the Fender angle covered, I'd probably opt for a Les Paul Standard or Jr. through an AC30, both of which I'd purchased the day before for a grand total of $75 and some old vinyl in trade; some really crummy fuzzbox that I would later use as the downpayment on a condo in the Berkshires; and, of course, a curly cable.

The audience/crowd: Andy Warhol (not too chatty, but pleasant enough), Brian Eno (very chatty and friendly, thinks everything he hears us play is wonderful), Robert Fripp (much funnier than you'd think), Anthony Bourdain (wasted, loud, and a hoot), Richard Lloyd (for whom I am filling in and who is sitting out the set due to a recent hospital visit, see HERE), Debbie Harry (who wants me desperately but doesn't know I have my eyes set elsewhere [see below]), Lester Bangs (who thinks my playing sucks and tells me so, and I'm almost willing to agree with him), Lou Reed (who is quite rude to me. . . the stories are true), Patti Smith (who only pays me cursory attention), Joan Jett and Cherie Currie of the Runaways (they look malnourished, but seem to enjoy themselves immensely), Jim Carroll (also funnier than you'd think), Lenny Kaye (a really sweet man), Malcolm McLaren (really annoying, and tries to get me to move to England to join some lame band, but I demure), and, for some unknown reason, Nastassja Kinski, then 17 going on 18, who falls deeply in love with me and my playing, and for whom I am almost willing to abandon a promising musical future.

Bandmates: Tom Verlaine, Robert Quine (so, three guitars including me); James Chance, saxophone; Richard Hell, bass (well, sorta); Tina Weymouth, bass (more like it); Jerry Harrison, keyboards; Billy Ficca, drums. Vocals are shared all around, and David Byrne comes up for one number, a cover of Nick Gilder's "Hot Child in the City" which, strangely enough, wouldn't actually be composed for another year or so.

Surprise of the evening: The Ramones are nowhere to be found, and the nighttime sky is magical and golden.

18. John Backlund

John Backlund Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Small town in north-central Iowa. Evening of February 2nd, 1959. Want to get to the next gig's town as soon as possible, do some laundry and maybe rest up a bit before the next show. The 'tour bus' is a joke, breaks down half the time and the heater is unreliable at best. Kind of on the spur of the moment, someone went across the highway to the town's airport and found that for $36 a pop, three of us could fly on ahead tonight in a chartered Beech V-35...obviously, we couldn't all go so I flipped a coin with...........

Nah.......on second though, I'll stay in my own time for now.

19. getrguy1

getrguy1 Tele-Holic

16 years old in 1956 with a four year old Tele, TV front Deluxe & a couple of new 45's by a hipcat from Memphis.

How cool would it have been to be there when it all happened? Elvis, Jerry Lee, Carl Perkins, Roy Orbison, Johnny Cash.

20. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    I think I would Way Back myself to anytime in 2000 and work just a little bit harder at getting Jimmy Martin on the Grand Ole Opry.

Of course I would have been playing bass with him.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.