Their Satanic Majesties Request

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by JimmyJam, Jun 4, 2009.

1. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Doctor of Teleocity

I think that album was kind of mocking Sgt. Pepper a bit. Did anyone else notice that John and Paul's pictures are hidden in the clutter on the front cover? The J&P photos look like they were from the Sgt. Pepper album.

Another bit of trivia I remember reading was that this album was to have been called 'Her Satanic Majesties Request' -apparently they weren't too happy with the British govt. at the time. The record company refused to allow any title that might offend the queen thus the album was renamed.

2. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

My favorite Rolling Stones album; no real contest, actually.

I love Citadel.

All the previous albums had 3-4 sometimes 5 good songs, but they were never albums in the sense most Beatles and Beach Boys albums were albums. The Byrds had this problem some as well, but there'd be 6-7-8 good songs.

The only actual "album" I would say.

3. SatelliteOrders

SatelliteOrders Friend of Leo's

"She Comes In Colors" is the least Stones Stones song I ever loved.

4. Octave Doctor

Octave Doctor Tele-Afflicted

I found a sampler on YouTube--about 10 mins. long. It was quicker than digging out my copy, and now I remember liking this album better, even though it sounds a lot different through my monitors than that cheezzy record player I had back then.

Pretty cool how they worked the Mellotron into the music--a lot of that stuff just flew by with 3" speakers, LOL.

5. Muddslide

Muddslide Friend of Leo's

I have always loved this album. No, it's not typical Stones, nor is it my favorite Stones albums (even from the Brian Jones era) but I like it a great deal.

I agree it is in part a response to Sgt. Pepper's (which in turn was a response to the Beach Boy's Pet Sounds) but (though some might deem this sacrilege) I actually prefer Satanic Majesties a great deal over Sgt. Pepper's.

I DO love The Beatles (though I prefer the Stones), but aside from a couple of tracks, I always felt Sgt. Pepper's was overrated. Yes, it should be lauded as a great achievement as far as studio wizardry and production, but for Beatles album listening, I am much more liable to reach for Revolver, Rubber Soul or The White Album...or even Let It Be or Abbey Road.

I just think they contain stronger songs.

6. Maxwell Street

Maxwell Street Friend of Leo's

like the barker said, "they're naked and they dance"......tell me about it..........love "2000 Man", "The Lantern".....great record from the psychedelic era......dark and trippy*.......gettin' a flashback....later.....:eek:

*see "Axis Bold as Love", "Electric Ladyland", Jethro Tull - "Benefit"

7. Scott V

Scott V Tele-Holic

I inherited this album when I was a kid, didn't have too many back then so I heard it plenty, great album all the way thru. I like the Stone, but haven't bought too much of their stuff, hear enough on the radio, but not much off this one.

8. woodman

woodman Grand Wazoo @ The Woodshed Gold Supporter

in context, it's helpful to remember that for about a year, everybody in the band biz was trying to get on the psychedelic bandwagon. Majesties gets slagged a lot as sell-out, but in the context of its time, it was a great album in the ears of the record-buying public. ... God help me, i even like Wyman's "In Another Land"!

9. FirstBassman

FirstBassman Friend of Leo's

And both pale in comparison to ...

[​IMG]

... released a few months later.

10. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

My lead player actually bought Bill Wyman's solo album, if I remember right.

We really were up to our eyeballs in the Rolling Stones at this time.

With Brian Jones' passing, I'd lose all interest in this band - I can't think of another band that fell from grace (for me) quite like this band did. Wait.

Yes, there is one. The Collins-Banks-Rutherford lineup of Genesis - what a hollow feeling after Lamb Lies Down. Total stinking mess.

11. Yoni

Yoni Friend of Leo's

No man is an Island, He's a peninsula.

12. kinkstah

kinkstah Tele-Afflicted

As much as I love the Stones, I must admit this one left me cold, except for Citadel, 2000 light years from home, She's a rainbow and some bits here and there. The problem to my ears was those two 'Sing this all together' long tracks that seems to go nowhere (IMO)...

13. woodman

yeah, that one was a bit too much flower-power even for me! :p

14. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

Armadillo .

15. TDPRI

TDPRI Retired

Admin Post
    I'm listening to a pristine vinyl copy of this LP right now. I'm on side 2 song 2 "The Lantern."

I'm enjoying it. I've probably only listened to it once before but you guys got me to get it out and listen to it again. I'm not crazy about the songs, but the sound is fantastic.

16. woodman

yeah, great sound, no question ... this one came out around the time i discovered high-end headphones! sure would like to hear it on vinyl again.

17. FirstBassman

FirstBassman Friend of Leo's

[​IMG]

Sorry the image is so large.

18. JimmyJam

JimmyJam Tele-Afflicted

See? I was kind of the same for many years. Although, Recently I was able to grasp some of the things going on in those tracks. They were honestly "too spooky" for me to listen to. It really does sound like they go off the deep end into something more primal than anything I ever heard (at that time). But, that's why I like it, now.

Awesome! The soundscapes and texture is what makes this album stand out for me. The blending of genres. You really can't appreciate this thing right off, except for the songs mentioned by everyone here.

19. xStonr

xStonr Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

One of my all time favorites too. I had the original with the prismatic cover too. I would listen to it over and over as a kid with headphones late at night while stoned trying not to wake my parents up. The good old daze.

20. Yoni

Yoni Friend of Leo's

Would it make you feel warm and tingly if I told you I was listening to this album nonstop at age 12?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.