Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by thecableguy, Jul 20, 2013.
Wow thanks Jim. I got a lot to learn though man. You do pretty great work yourself!
I tend to free hand and we both now what thats like but I'm getting better made templates for my challenge guitar
Top notch work, Brian. I too, gulped a bit when I saw those hawsers, but then remembered you're building something of a bassier persuasion, so it's cool. After all, if heavy gauge strings were good enough for Stevie Ray, it's OK by me. Not that I can play them or anything, I can't bend if I used lead solder strings, but you know what I mean.
Outstanding work. That guitar really looks classy.
Good questions, BTW. Answer is, I haven't a clue, just thinking out loud, too. I'm not sure how thinned gold paint would look, but as suggested, if you don't like it, you can always just mix it up full strength and gold-top it. As far as sparkles, I don't see why you couldn't shoot gold sparkles either mixed in the gold, or clearcoat, or any combination thereof. I certainly agree that some serious testing would be in order before commiting paint to your guitar.
Advantages and disadvantages to both methods I guess.
Yeah they are definitely heavier strings, but with the lower tuning and longer scale they feel pretty good. Bends are pretty easy on the guitar. I wouldn't be using them on standard tuning though!
Thanks for the compliment! I'm taking my time, not rushing too much. I want this one to turn out looking like a factory guitar if I can. I'm trying to think things through as much as possible before actually doing them. Spent a couple hours making a 2 degree angled P90 template tonight.
Testing is the key for sure. That gold duplicolor actually did look pretty good...
Taking your time is the key!
Please show us that 2 degree template. My next project will require a angled neck and pickup pockets and I want to learn how to handle those parts.
This will be a great build Brian.
Hey Andre, I didn't take any pics last night but I'll snap some tonight and show you how I did it. Pretty simple actually, just made a couple angled pieces to attach the template to.
Didn't get much done this on the build this weekend. Made a pickup routing template.
I had made some angled pieces for it to sit on but I wasn't able to get enough reach with the bit. So I just shimmed the template.
Well done Brian. I will remember this for my next build. Thank you!
Thanks Andre. If I had a router with a 1/2" collet and a longer pattern bit the angled blocks would have been easier. Shimming the template is a pain. Ajr969 used his router sled to machine a slope into his pickup template for his challenge build. That's probably the best, most stable way to do it.
Made a control cavity.
You guys like my inlays on the back of the guitar? You'd think I'd have learned the first time!
Drilled this battery draining hole. Good thing the makita had a full charge!
Drilled some wiring holes.
Looking good so far, Brian
Here's the pickup template I used in my challenge build...
It started as a 3/4" piece of MDF, and I made the template like normal. Then put it on my router sled with the sled rails set to the proper angle and planed an angle on top of the template. Much easier than shimming a template, especially if you need to rout multiple pickups at the same angle.
I try to do all my angles at one time. That is, I set the rails of the router sled once, and route the neck pocket angle and the pickup templates without moving the rails. That way, I know everything will line up properly.
Thanks ajr. Your router sled looks like a super useful tool. I'm going to have to put one together. I really like how you did your angled pickup template. I'm learning a lot from your challenge build and I'm going to steal some ideas and techniques.
This body needs a belly cut.
Rasping was taking way too long.
Cleaned it up with the orbital sander.
A bit more smoothing and then did the round over.
You've got guts Brian! I for sure would have sawn too deep and wrecked it. Well done!
Wow, what a great take on that. I spent an hour plus doing it with a belt sander and it's not nearly as nice as yours. As I think we've all said 'I'm probably going to steal that!'
Great looking build!
Thanks Rob! I had visions of myself cutting all the way through, and then thinking about how I would fix it. Let's just say I was REAL careful!
Thanks very much! The birch stood up to the sander quite well so it was pretty easy to control how much I was removing.
Picked me up a real drill press today.
Lucky dog! Nice score.