The Year The Tele Bridge Pickup Produced The Best Tone

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by arlum, Dec 21, 2019.

1. philbeck

philbeck TDPRI Member

I'm also a curmudgeon, too. I like what I like, and I'm a subjective bastard. I test drove a Classic Vibe Tele at GC and it sounded like a damn good Tele. That guitar made me pissed that I spent almost twice as much for my Baja. Maybe its the best....?[/QUOTE]

Yep the CVC Squire Tele pick ups are the best! :twisted:

2. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Yep the CVC Squire Tele pick ups are the best! :twisted:[/QUOTE]

aren't they Toneriders?

3. buddyboy

buddyboy Tele-Meister

Whatever year pickups Robbie had in this Tele. Solo at 2:30, but it's all good! Second place - James Burton's paisley ('69?)

4. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

i would have to say 1953 and when plugged into a Blackface Super Reverb. Just based on what Roy could do.

5. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

what about the amp?

6. Swampash&Tweed

Swampash&Tweed Friend of Leo's

Nope........that's tele all the way

7. Titanguy

Titanguy TDPRI Member

I used to own a 1955 Tele that sounded mighty good but today I like the Vintage '64 Tele pups in some of my guitars. I recently built a Tele from a piece of old Pine and I used some MIM Tele pups. Sounds outstanding. They're all different and nobody knows what is the best sounding pups for a Tele. That's because we all have different ears.

SnidelyWhiplash likes this.
  8. Smylight

Smylight TDPRI Member

I thought you were referring to the lead guitar. That's a LP Jr in the video... I'm using an angry 335 to get the original record's tone. ;-)

Pierre

9. Swampash&Tweed

Nope........That opening Riff has legendary tone.

10. Smylight

Smylight TDPRI Member

Well... have a look at the video you posted yourself. I'm OK with the concept of the rhythm guitar being a Tele, but lead definitely is a Junior.

That said, it's really not important at all.

Pierre

Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
  11. Lefty Addams

Lefty Addams Tele-Afflicted

I don't know which years were best for the bridge pup on any Tele, but I do know they have been consistently better than the thin sounding, fragile neck pup, every Tele I've tried anyway.

Helluva tone from the bridge imo.

12. Obelisk

Obelisk Tele-Afflicted

From being a long term tire kicker collector, I would say my favorite years in general for Fender stuff comes from 63-69. A lot of changes happened during this period. The pickups made right after the sale to CBS are some of the best that were ever wound at 1300 Valencia. I will always kick myself for selling my beat to crud 66 Strat at the beginning of the 90's. A guitar collector pointed this out in the 80's when one could go into a shop and see a half dozen Strats from 65-69 because nobody wanted them(it was all Pre-CBS at the time-anything made afterwards was considered lesser). His thought was that the pickup winders were trying to keep their jobs, so they overwound everything from 65-66. I would have to say his thought has some truth to it. The 66 Strat had pickups that read in the mid 6k region for resistance whereas most Strat pickups after 68 are 5.3-5.5. I even have a set of rewound Strat pickups from 74 that are wound hotter. It gets closer to that mid 60's zone. This is why I thrilled when I scored an all original 66 Tele pickup a couple of years ago.

Well the player is the most important part of signal chain. The Telecaster Page used was gifted by Jeff Beck. It was a 66. My own experience with my pickup is that its hotter with a bit more mids than the pickups that come before and after 68. It reads at 6.8 which is a bit hotter than subsequent pickups(they seem to read at 5.8-6 when CBS bean counters started mandating the precise amount wire turns per pickup after the 67 factory renovations).

telemnemonics likes this.
  13. Swampash&Tweed

Opening lick..........got some change in my pocket.......goes ching a ling a ling......that's what the entire song is based around. Wouldnt have been a hit with a Marshall and LP playing it.

14. sothoth

sothoth Tele-Holic Double Platinum Supporter

What about an Ibanez with aftermarket HB pickups into a wampler plexi pedal played through a twin reverb?

15. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

It's all about each of our tonal preferences, isn't it. No right, nor wrong to any of it.

I just like Tele pickups to be clean, clear, detailed, and sparkly... not "hot", not with mids boosted. Typically that means "low wind" more than anything else.

For me, I'm good with A3 mags at the bridge (this softens the bridge sharpness slightly). And I do prefer 42 AWG. But, I'm good with 42AWG and 43AWG, as long as the wind is LOW, preserving highs and lows, not boosting bids.

With neck pickups, I prefer A5, for some extra sparkle. Again, partial to 42AWG. But I can be ok with 43AWG or 42AWG, again, as long as the wind is low to keep the frequency range balanced and the tone detailed and sparkly.

I could NOT care less about what may, or may not be, "vintage correct".

I just like the tone quality that I like. ;)

Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
  16. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

If asked what my favorite year or era is I'd go with CBS production, because I own and owned pre CBS/ CBS/ post CBS pickups and only once found pickups outside of the CBS era that were better.
    Had an early '50s Strat set (and I buy old Fender partscasetrs and pickups but seldom the overpriced whole vintage guitars) that was rewound to just over 6k and suitably calibrated, that was easily the only great including bridge Strat sound I've ever had.
    But they were in a great partscaster and I had great amps, namely a '67 Plexi 100 that made the whole recipe perfect.
    Anyhow, those Strat pickups were undoubtedly A3 magnet (rare/ '54ish but they had to go somewhere) and that was the only A3 magnet pickups I've ever liked. I usually just used the bridge pickup and it was fat & sweet but the neck sound was great too.

Otherwise I have three A3 mag Tele bridge pickups and don't like any of them.
    The softer tone just doesn't work for me, plus I find I prefer the boost to the D and G you get with a stagger.

As far as CBS era, the pickups didn't change aside from possibly turn counts, or until the mid '70s when the Strat lost its stagger and then the magnet manufacture changed.
    IDK what changed with the mags but I'd guess that Fender formerly cast them in house and CBS finally concluded that out sourcing the mag manufacture made more sense. Not sute that made any sound difference though I have a later '70s Tele bridge pickup with the Gibson style shielded lead they used in 77 or so and that pickup is more shrill than cutting, possibly wound with 43awg is the only reason it sounds shrill for the DCR I can think of aside from possibly a magnet difference.

So for the bold cut of a Tele I find A5 is where it's at, but despite A3 being popular for the Tele tone I think it's better suited to Strats where the Strat sound is generally more delicate anyhow, and the amp is where Strat tone is made brutal, while the Tele sound is made brutal at the guitar.

While middle strings are not the same as "mids", I hear the stagger boosting the middle strings volume and fatness as a fatter tone, compared to flat poles on the same board radius. This is different of course on a modern flatter board where the vintage stagger exaggerates the middle strings almost too much, but that exaggerated D and G might be what some players like in a modern Strat with vintage stagger pickups. In a way those boosted fatter middle strings is very Stratty, and going to a flatter board increases that effect.

Try putting a flat Strat pickup right up against a staggered Strat pickup in a flat radius guitar and you hear the flat poles get an almost scooped tone due to the middle strings being less loud, compared to the stagger which boosts the middle strings.

Similarly taking the same guitar/ pickups with a modern 12-14 board and swap on a vintage 7.25 neck and you hear a change to a more scooped overall guitar tone from the higher D and G being further from the poles.

17. Swampash&Tweed

Dont think it would Jive with the thread Title........but I'm sure it would sound cool.

18. sothoth

sothoth Tele-Holic Double Platinum Supporter

I know I was being sarcastic :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.