The Year of Tweed?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Axis29, Dec 24, 2013.

1. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

So, I think this upcoming year, I am going to buy (or hopefully build) a tweed amp. I have several black/silver face amps and a brownface as well. I like the a brownface the best. I want to try spending some time with an older style amp as well.

I play out once a week, at least, in a decent size bar. I can take any of my amps from the PRRI (with an efficient 12") to the Bassman 50 (2x10 cabinet) and make them work. At home I have a larger addition on the basement that I can play at reasonable volumes (3-4, sometime 5-6, on the volume knob of the Bassman is not unheard of).

I play relatively clean, but like a little fat hair on the edge of my sound. A little Blues, with a touch of a jazz tone to it.... But not the Jazz skills! LOL

So, I'm thinking I want a little more than a 5e3... Been thinking a 5e7 Bandmaster, maybe a low power Twin.. Or maybe a Super, what is that 5e5?? I think a Bassman is too much... Maybe.... I think I like the mid-range wattage, like the 26 watts of the bandmaster or Super. Is there something else I should be thinking about?

I won't be jumping right into this one.... But, maybe by the end of January I'll have figured it out.... I hope. I'm really thinking I'm gonna buy a kit and build one too... Choosing that brand will be a whole different discussion! LOL

2. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I've never tried a Tweed amp. Love my BF and SF Fenders also. Guess I need to try a Tweed amp one of these days.

Good luck with your quest and keep us posted.

3. screamin eagle

screamin eagle Poster Extraordinaire

5e5 and a legend 15 speaker.

If you can make a princeton work, then this is all the tweed you need.

4. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

I built a 5E7 Bandmaster last year. There's several tweeds that are pretty much the same amp exept for speakers and a resister or two. Super 2x10s", Pro 1x15", Bandmaster 3x10s" and real close to a low powered Twin with 2x12s". (minus the extra 12ay7 and 5u4)
    Ok the Bandmaster cab I built is 21.5" x 22.5", the 5E8 low power Twin is 20.5" x 24". If I did it again I'd build it 21.5" x 24". Then it would take all those speaker combinations with a baffle change. The Classic Tone output transformer is multi tap 2.67, 4 and 8 ohms.
    That's just my thoughts on building pretty much 4 tweeds in one cab anyway.

Now I'm thinking I need a 5F8-A High powered Twin, not sure why but I want one.:lol:

5. keithb7

keithb7 Friend of Leo's

Tweed is good stuff. Bare bones stripped down simple tone. No frills except maybe a mid knob. Nice cleans, awesome beak up and wicked overdrive all with the turn of a simple volume knob. I have built the 5F1, 5F2A and 5E3. Sold two and kept the 5F2A. I think I'd like to build another but undecided yet which one. Maybe the Bassman to satisfy my curiosity. I'm thinking of a Boothill Amps kit, Classictone transformers, and blow the majority of my budget on quality speakers and NOS tubes.
    Hmm. 2014 could be a great year for Tweed.

6. Jammin'John

Jammin'John Friend of Leo's

Pro

You're talkin' about a Pro.

JJ

Attached Files:

7. telex76

telex76 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Tweed Super is the best amp ever.:)

I really do think so.

8. Smoky Booroo

Smoky Booroo Tele-Meister

I love my 5f4 (super)... that might keep a little of the weight down. It it is a nice big sounding amp, but not too big. Good luck!

9. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

I've got a 5E3 clone, and I'm personally done with changing amps. This one will do me.

5E3 would work for you if you used a high efficiency speaker, like one of those Eminence 12's.

If you want to go for more power, my choice would be a V-front Super. Still a smallish package, and a very cool look.

10. screamin eagle

screamin eagle Poster Extraordinaire

JJ has it right. Pro! Unless you already know that you do NOT like 15's...then go with a Super. If you don't know whether or not you like 15's, I would say start there. They are really cool in there own right, but go great with tweeds in my opinion.

11. FiddlinJim

FiddlinJim Tele-Holic

Love the Super for guitar, but just converted mine to a Pro mostly for steel guitar (non-pedal). The 2x10 config didn't do it for steel. I started with a Weber 15f150 and am now trying a smooth cone 59 P15N. I haven't tried it at gig volume yet, so I hope I get enough volume. 50's guitar, 50's (style) amp. Wheeee!

12. Jammin'John

Love those Tweeds !

JJ

13. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

I would go with a Pro / Super Amp... I am a little "biased" towards the Pro but I would love to have a V front Super too.

Here are my Pro's 49, 52 & 71
    [​IMG]

14. Jammin'John

Quieter

A big sound that's not as loud as the others.
    I have actually toned mine down a little.
    The Weber 15F150 w/50oz. is very LOUD.
    So that one or a Big Ben and you have big headroom.
    I have a 1965 CTS with a smaller magnet in it now that scrubs some volume off.

JJ

Attached Files:

15. Prairie Dawg

Prairie Dawg Tele-Meister

I built a Weber 5E7 this year. Took a lot of time with the build because I only wanted to do it once. It came out very well and sounds terrific. Plenty of grunt for small clubs. The 5F4 Super and the 5E5 Pro are the same circuit so it depends on your speaker choice. I figured 3 tens for the price of 2 was a good idea. Gotta watch your clearance upstairs but with that said, and the installation of a few upgraded components (F&T caps, military surplus tube sockets, waxed pushback wire from Stew Mac, standard color power cord, Heyboer P/T) it sounds good. If you decide to build your own, take your sweet time on the build as it will pay big dividends later on down the road. Mine fired up and biased up on the first go round.

16. Watto

Watto Tele-Meister

I think you mean the 5E5-A

I personally love the 5F4, it's my dessert island amp. If you are going to build it yourself I recommend putting in A Brownface Super Output Transformer, that'll get the most out of the 6L6's ;) I also love the size of the cab, you can run 2 x 10 in speakers as per the original or you can put in a 1 x 12 (which I currently run)
    I built 2 baffles for mine, one of each and whenever I feel like a change I swap them over , very versatile , I love the weber 10A125's and the 12A150

Takes pedals well, loud enough for a medium sized room or a hard hitting drummer. best overall amp around in my opinion.:D

17. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

My take on this:

5F6A tweed Bassman in a mutant tweed Super cabinet.

2x10". It only needs to be slightly larger than a tweed Deluxe.

1x10" and 1x12" fits. too.

I like a custom circuit board with the filter caps on the board.

While I'm at it I tweak the circuit slightly so it's like late '60s Marshall JMP.

Why? It's simple. Marshall continued research and development on Fender's tweed Bassman circuit. They continued developing it 25 years after Fender abandoned the 5F6A circuit as obsolete. It works fine in Marshalls. Pretty good for an obsolete circuit, huh?

We had the tweed Twin discussion in another thread. The tweed Bassman is closer to ideal. If it weren't Marshall wouldn't have used it as the basis for their amps.

If you crave a tweed Twin pick up a '60s Dual Showman head instead. It's everyone's red headed stepchild so they're dirt cheap for what they are. What they are is a Twin Reverb with the reverb left out. In head form. They stack nicely on a Marshall 4x12". They need one tweak to do tweed tones. They're more reliable than a Twin Reverb because they have less parts. They're as reliable as an old Ford pickup. Or as reliable as a Toyota. :D

18. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

How about that modded 210 5F6A of yours, with the harmonic trem of the brown super? Could it be done?

19. RubyRae

RubyRae Friend of Leo's

Beautiful amps Mike. How do the 15" sound in the tweed Pro's, compared to the Super 2-10?
    I am trying to decide also on my first tweed, and would lean towards this.

20. Watto

Watto Tele-Meister

Great amps there, I'm a 2 x 10 man myself, I sold my Dual Professional and kept my 49 , It's treated me well but the output tranny is slowly dieing , looks like it's off to Mercury for a rewind before there's smoke

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.