the worlds smallest synth -again

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by 24 track, Oct 21, 2019.

1. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

thanks, intersting info

if you look at the circuit the midi signal inputs and outputs to and from a UART , what I did not realize is that the UART is built into ths chips. I was under the impression it was a seperate circuit.

2. raito

raito Poster Extraordinaire

I understand you now. Yes, the UARTs are part of most of the processors one would use. But there's also external UARTs, usually used when you need more than are in your processor.

24 track likes this.
  3. 24 track

sorry i did not get back to you sooner I was wrapped up on equipment repairs , but I have a day off LOL

check out native instruments FM7 virtual instrument, it is a DX7 clone that has all of the sounds of the original Yamaha DX7 and allows you to dump yamaha FM sounds into the sound bank plus is a little better of an FM editor ( FM editing can be learning curve for proffesionals!)

go onto Youtube and look up Native instruments FM7 and FM8 you may be surprised!

I have used this plug in alot and it sounds outstanding , I take it you are using USB to get your midi to your computer, because if you had a midi interface you would be able to use your yamaha as a midi contoller as well

4. tintag27

tintag27 Tele-Afflicted

Hey, thanks - those DX7 clones are amazing... in the right hands...!
    But, impressive as these virtual synths are, I don't really need (a)nother synthesiser... I was hoping to make better use of the fat sounds in my old Roland JV-1010 64 Voice synthesiser Module, but I'm not sure that is possible. I do have an EMagic MT4 midi interface and I can trigger the voices and record them into GarageBand via my Roland midi controller keyboard - or my much newer Akai mini USB controller keyboard. Problem is that (like my guitar) I am left with only graphic waveforms, when I really need midi notes so I can benefit from the excellent voices of the JV-1010 but still be able to edit the awkwardly played data - I can get away with guitar parts because I am a reasonable player - but not with the keyboard notes where I sometimes have to assemble chords or bass figures one note at a time :0(
    I'm a bit old to develop my two finger skills any better now!

24 track likes this.
  5. 24 track

I use a program called melodyne , that records audio and can convert it into midi tracks , so you can take a guitar track , convert and adjust it then use the conversion to trigger midi synths both virtual and hardware. and it runs as a plugin. quite cool really I also have the roland GR55 guitar synth and can use the midi out to trigger midi devices

https://www.celemony.com/en/melodyn...MIyfDrpb3j5QIVlONkCh0oCg8BEAAYASABEgL-R_D_BwE

6. tintag27

tintag27 Tele-Afflicted

Wow - Melodyne is an amazing piece of software! I can see why it is so popular for enhancing vocals - although its strengths would easily apply to any audio data.
    I think I need to get back to working out what I want to do with the JV-1010. I have incorporated ambient sounds from it several times in my tunes - they are not critical fo pitch/ location etc but I miss the bass sounds and I could probably use some of those if I just record a couple of bars at a time. Single notes should easy enough!
    Thankyou - you have given me a lot to think about. I am just finishing off a short piece of music, so today I will dust off the sound module and controllers and midi interfaces and try and remember how I wired everything up and reacquaint myself with a few classic Roland bass tones!

24 track likes this.
  7. 24 track

most importantly have fun doing it!

tintag27 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.