the worlds smallest synth -again

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by 24 track, Oct 21, 2019.

1. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Any body who knows what im into , I love DIY, and repurposing past inovations to new functionality and cutting edge tech , Im a member of the Midi manufacterers association or MMA ( Im learning all the spec and details I can) I do know there are some other serious members here that are also into this as well and a lot who know much ,much more than I can pretend to garner here .

I came across this gem today and it kind of took me back. Its a full functioning synth in a package that is the size of a 5 pin din plug 16 voice FM synth with 2 operators. what this means is ...If you plug this into a midi controler keyboard midi output and use a small TRS jack to the audio you have a full functioning synth , so those midi controller keyboard that do not have any sound capabilities now become active synths , how cool is that! the caveat is that the controller must follow the MMA midi spec one

any who , there is a link on the site if you wish to persue it further , interesting vid although quite technical

I also came across this device and i bought one from a company called Retro kits a programable midi cable (RK 002) to allow you to link up devices such as the Korg kaosillator pro to access the on board sounds via a Midi keyboard controller, Im having a blast with this right now

2. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Tele-Afflicted

That's pretty cool, but 2 operator FM is like 1992 video game soundtrack stuff. Sorta gives me the willies. I shouldn't complain, the demo has some pretty cool sounds.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
    24 track likes this.
  3. 24 track

but at least you can use a keyboard controller as a funtioning synth and if you took the Midi out from the controller and ran it into a midi patch bay like a motu MTP USB and plugged a few of these instruments into it , the possibilities could be endless as many oscillators as you need for one patch and programable plus the firm ware is upgradable all for 129 euros, I just see the possibilities

4. 24 track

also the behringer Model D is a miniature version of a Moog Model D take 5 of these (about 200.00 us) each rack them into a eurorack and you will have 15 oscillators 10 filters 10 ADSRs full patching capabilities and get a digital sequencer , viola a moog system 55 with Midi capabillities for about a G note

Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
  5. Digital Larry

I like messing around with synths also, though I have a modular setup and don't like building stuff very much any more (mostly I blame my vision). I remember trying to program an FB-01 4-operator FM synth back in the day and it was anything but intuitive.

MDent77 and 24 track like this.
  6. 24 track

FM synth stuff sucks to program, there were afew books on that subject supposedly to simplify the process, but hey if you have to read the entire encyclopedia britanica to learn how to peel a grape it can get daunting, what modular do you have ? Im looking at a syntesizer.com system pending me winning the lottery right now I have a kurzweil K2000 decked out and moded with a USB card reader instead of the floppy drive and a korg M50 digitals , 2 Kaos pads and a kaosillator pro ( not to mention about 200 virtual synths in my computers ( all the usual offerings PPG wave term , Putney VCS3, moogs , arps, Mach 5, FM7 ,you get it lots of toys that go wonka,wonka) the FM7 not only takes the sound cartridges for the DX7 but also has an FM editor built in , I have a roland GR55 that sounds great plus i can trigger all the virtual stuff from it as well

7. Digital Larry

I did some design consulting for Erica Synths out of Riga, Latvia a few years ago. They paid me in equipment which explains why most of this is Erica brand. Otherwise it's a pretty expensive hobby, especially if you continue to think of it as a way to make "normal" music. The most interesting stuff I've heard is nearly entirely self-generating (that is, you're not playing notes on a keyboard).

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/449755

24 track likes this.
  8. 24 track

I like it! nice
    I was looking at some designs for euro rack stuff
    this is a prototype rack I built I did it with 4 rack spaces so I could use it as a regular rack but if I did it with 5 spaces I could fit 40 single moog modules ( synthesizers .com) and if I scaled it down I could build a cool euro rack .

this is a little rough as it was a conceptual Idea but you get the drift

P1011643.JPG

9. 57fenderstrat

57fenderstrat Tele-Meister

Synths...

I’m split in two sometimes between guitar mode and synth mode. In guitar mode I’m alittle more productive but sometimes something will push me over the edge and I will fall into synth mode. Once that hits it always has its expensive risks and can be hard to climb out of the rabbit hole once it starts. I start playing guitar a lot less and most of my time goes to making crazy noises that concern people who don’t understand.

Digital Larry and 24 track like this.
  10. 24 track

there is always the happy medium, but finding it is the issue! LOL

57fenderstrat likes this.
  11. 57fenderstrat

57fenderstrat Tele-Meister

Yes , I have been putting off getting a computer for a long time but it’s definitely on my to do list so I can collide the guitar world and synth world together with some recording.

I have a four track tascam cassette machine up at my parents and my plan is to use that with the synths so I could record different pads and noise on each 4 tracks and use the volume faders to blend them around like a big loop pedal but I know once that starts I will get sucked in hard !

24 track likes this.
  12. 24 track

If I had a Tascam 244 porta studio thats exactly what i would do with it as well, 4 chanels of 60 min loops and samples.

13. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Awesome!!
    But I have no idea what you just explained.
    I do know I want one though...

24 track likes this.
  14. 24 track

BehringerD-large.jpg BehringerModelD_01-KpMPqNs9xNDsKI7jXXKkQy5HsOTdEOOF.jpg

15. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

So that module paired with any old midi keyboard equals a mini moog with an extra oscillator?
    True analog and stable oscillators?
    What's not to like???

dr_tom and 24 track like this.
  16. 24 track

also midi, that the original did not have , the thing about mini moogs was some thing Rick wake man said ,he owned 10 of them ( i owned one) the oscillators were unstable and they drifted , but thats what gave them their Phatt sound , the Behringer units are the same , they ( both the mini moog and the model D) both have 3 oscillators an external input and a white/pink noise oscillator

behringer also made a few more synths recently all in the same price range

K2 is a mini version of the korg MS20

the neutron

and the arp oddessy

Last edited: Oct 22, 2019
    tintag27 and telemnemonics like this.
  17. raito

raito Poster Extraordinaire

I've been looking at the RK-002 to fix the brain-dead Roland Boutique polychaining. But it's not ideal (that would take 2 outputs). Might be good enough, though.

I'm not surprised that teeny synth exists, though. It's like taking my FPGA stuff and packaging it up. Though my goal there is to replace MOSTEK top octave and divider chips (that are no longer made). Only problem so far is getting vibrato as it's all based on clock speed. I could possibly do something internal, as I'm only using 5% of the internals of the chip. But I'm running out of pins for input.

tintag27 and 24 track like this.
  18. 24 track

When i got the RK002 I fired them off a message asking them if they were looking into making a firmware upgrade to the RK002 to see if the cable could access the sound patches on the roland GR55 but never got a responce back , there are some issues witht the RK002 on my Editroll PCR-A30 and the Oxygen -8 controllers for consise keyboard tracking but used in conjuction with the touch pad on the kaosillator pro you can overcome and get some unusual playing, you will notice in the video that the guy does not play any 2 side by side notes on the keyboard I found there is a 1.5 note step in some cases but that may bue to the scaling on the korg unit , Ill explore that at a later date, but for now Im having a blast just playing with it.

the part that threw me off the most was where to get the Uart as it is required in th the Midi send and recieve circuit , it never occured to me it was inclusive in the chip itself (shows how long I have been out of tech side) wouldnt it be simple to use or build a midi thru circuit for your second output?

Screen shot 2019-10-22 at 12.07.43 PM.png

Last edited: Oct 22, 2019
  19. raito

raito Poster Extraordinaire

I think you mean the optoisolator, not the UART? No UART is required for MIDI send/receive (though as a practical matter, most processors use them, and should also use the isolator).

No, a simple thru would not work. What the RK-002 does when it's polychaining is to send the notes alternating on, say, channels 1 and 2. A better solution is to have 2 outputs and for the notes to be sent alternately to each output using the same channel. I've occasionally contemplated making something that does that.

Currently, the boutiques only use the chaining if you exceed the polyphony in the unit (generally 4). So if you patch with a long release, and you play 4 notes, then release, then play 4 more, the first 4 voices get stolen and your release is cut off. Proper polychaining would have 2 of those playing on the first unit and 2 on the second, and that second batch of notes would have been given to the unused voices in round-robin fashion (which itself isn't perfect, but often good enough).

24 track likes this.
  20. tintag27

tintag27 Tele-Afflicted

Interesting thread! I still have my tiny Yamaha CSO1 monophonic synthesizer. I bought it in the early 1980's...
    It was ahead of its time - and still works!

CSO1.jpg

The retrokits stuff looks good... The sounds from my Roland JV-1010 synth module are far superior to my GarageBand voices but I can only get those sounds into the Mac by playing live (via my keyboard controller)... so it is not editable - unfortunately I am nowhere near good enough of a keyboard player for that to be usable. I will check out the site anyway - thanks for sharing that!

Digital Larry and 24 track like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.