The WORD about this and that pedal.

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by ping-ping-clicka, Feb 29, 2020.

1. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Everyone, well lots of every ones talk smack about the Boss , DS-1 pedal, while having read an article with Joe ( surfing with the alien ) Satriani , said that it was one of his choice to do the do, and that it needs a clean amp to do that thing. hmmmm. This rat is better than that rat, but the new reissue of the old rat doesn't sound the same ie. as good, and the list spirals and excellorates into and orbiting blast of grey and greyer noise in my opinions section of the pedal sports pages of
    "my fragile little mind"

(thank you Eric Cartman)

:eek: gahhh! so many conflicting opinions , so little time, I'm having options anxiety:cry:

2. Switchy

Switchy Tele-Holic

Well yeah, if you have a Marshall stack to plug it into, it sounds great. The rest of us are stuck with a little orange buzz brick.

Neener likes this.
  3. allthatjazz

allthatjazz Tele-Meister

Can't go wrong with a Metal Zone. That was the popular consensus at some point anyway, I seem to recall.

4. OttoCorrect

OttoCorrect Tele-Holic

I can see both sides of the argument basically because both are right. Joe (and Kurt and others) was correct about his DS-1s sounding good. At that time they did sound good. People today who knock the DS-1 aren’t wrong either, if they’re playing through a DS-1 that was made in the last 26 years they may find it not to their taste. Fact is, if any of the famous DS-1 users of yesteryear played a current DS-1, they might feel the same way.

That’s because (and here’s the point) BOSS CHANGED THE CIRCUIT IN 1994.

I have played both pre and post ‘94 DS-1s and they are palpable in their differences.

I like the pre ‘94 circuit very much, but the ones made afterwards take some light modding to bring them back to the sound that made them famous. The “Outlaw” mod does exactly that with 7 simple component swaps and it turned my post ‘94 DS-1 into a thing of beauty. Compared to my DS-1 from ‘91, my “Outlaw” mod DS-1 sounds remarkably close, just a tad louder and just a pinch smoother in the clipping. In other words, it’s closer to the ideal DS-1 sound many people have in their heads when they think of a DS-1.

The DS-1s made famous by Satriani, Cobain, Def Leppard, etc. were all the original ‘78-‘93 circuit, which imho can totally sound awesome. The new ones have significant differences in the parts used and that’s not my opinion, it’s literally documented fact. You might like how the new ones sound, and that *is* opinion (and a fine opinion at that), but the DS-1s that have been made over the last 26 years are *not* the same pedals as the ones made before ‘94, and again, that’s a documented and verifiable fact.

5. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

it is also true that Joe could play slide with a dried dog turd and sound like fred mcdowell.

Tommy Biggs likes this.
  6. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Friend of Leo's

Can you imagine being his guitar tech? I'd grow weary of disinfecting the guitars.

getbent likes this.
  7. basher

basher Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

My recent-but-pre-SMS DS-1 sounds good and I like it. I don’t know what year it was made because I put Velcro on it and covered the serial number before I thought to check it, and if I take the Velcro off it won’t go on my board anymore, which would be a shame because it sounds good. You do have to understand how to use the thing, though.

Also, while my brand new Chinese-made Rat does sound slightly different from my trusty old homemade one that has the magic chip, the only way anyone would notice would be to play them side by side.

Play what you have; be a musician and not a gear curator; practice and your gear will sound better.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2020
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.