1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

The Wisdom of Brian Wilson

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by fezz parka, Aug 6, 2012.

1. gitold

gitold Poster Extraordinaire

Brian Wilson wanted Mike Love to sing lead vocals for his band. As much as I love Brian and "Don't worry baby" Mike was never in tune a day in his life. Psychedelic barber shop indeed. I've played with many Meh musicians in my 58 years and I think digital tuners are the cats pajamas. I was the last guy on the block to have one to but I love em now.

2. banjohabit

banjohabit Tele-Holic

+1. and every digital tuner i've been exposed to (not been around the way high-dollar stuff) couldn't detect pitch changes i can plainly hear when i'm tweaking the string into pitch. my ears are old, but they ain't out of tune yet.

BTW: we used to tune to the dial tone on the phone (land line). it used to be standard E tone.

3. Kerry Vance

Kerry Vance Tele-Meister

Gurf Morlix - opinions on tuning

Here is an interesting quote from Gurf Morlix regarding his opinions on tuning. This was part of a Vintage Guitar interview conducted by Tony Nobles.

" I THINK THERE'S AN ART TO KNOWING HOW MUCH IN TUNE SOMETHING NEEDS TO BE. WHEN IT'S ALL PERFECTLY IN TUNE, IT SOUNDS TOO CORRECT, AND THEREFORE IS A LITTLE UNINTERESTING TO ME. THINGS BEING A LITTLE WOBBLY CAN CREATE TENSION - SOMETIMES IN A REALLY GOOD WAY. THERE ARE THINGS ON BEATLES ALBUMS THAT ARE PRETTY FAR OUT OF TUNE, BUT NEVER FAR ENOUGH TO MAKE IT UNPALATABLE TO THE PUBLIC. I THINK. WHOEVER WAS IN CHARGE WAS A GENIUS AT KNOWING HOW FAR OUT IT COULD BE AND STILL WORK."

For anyone not familiar with Gurf Morlix, he is an excellent singer/songwriter, producer, multi-instrumentalist. I'm a big fan.

4. klasaine

klasaine Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Gurf's a great artist but I have to respectfully disagree with this. Although I think that's taken out of or framed in a weird context - even within the context of the entire article.
    Nobody strives to be 'just enough out of tune to give it character'. The questions asked in a recording session are:
    "Is it bugging anybody?"
    "Can we get it any better?"
    "Is there any more money/time left?"
    "How come we didn't hear that yesterday?".
    "How did we miss that?"
    "Can we please not mix after a 10 hour tracking session?"
    Between 2 or 3 guitars, a bass, a piano and some vocals there will ALWAYS be some discrepancies that allow for a little 'wobble' that adds some unique personality to a track. I can guarantee you the surviving Beatles or the Beach Boys to this day still cringe when they hear their really out of tune parts.
    Does it matter on a tune like Day Tripper or Warmth of the Sun? No, of course not. Songs like that transcend tuning, time, recording quality, etc.
    And when I write and record a song of that caliber I may not worry too much about a slightly flat G natural. Until then, I strive to be as in tune as possible all the time. It's actually one of the few things that keeps me working in this business.

5. boldaslove71

boldaslove71 Tele-Meister

I paused when I made that comment. :oops: Even had to call Mom and have her play a land line over the speaker phone into her cell phone back to mine. Checked wiki and thats what they claim, although it is also (I guess) a composite of 350 and 440 Hz. Whatever it is glad someone else knew that trick.

For me, later in life, Hendrix was Eb and most everything else (DSOTM) era Floyd was a good E reference.

6. Kerry Vance

Kerry Vance Tele-Meister

Please, tell me how you think my direct quote was "taken out of or framed in a weird context even within the context of the entire article." The question Tony asked Gurf was, "Can you explain the difference between a little out of tune as opposed to out of tune enough to fix?" The questions before and after were unrelated. I quoted it in upper case as was the on-line (entire and unedited) version of the interview. You may disagree with Gurf but nothing I posted is out of context.

7. klasaine

klasaine Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Sorry man. I wasn't very clear.
    I didn't mean you took anything out of context. I read that article too.
    What I meant with 'out of context' is that MANY times articles/interviews are chopped up or trimmed and occasionally answers get 'shortened' and re-worded.
    It surprised me because even when he sings and plays whatever that old guitar is with a capo on it he's super in tune. For me, a guitar player, he's noticeably in tune. His vocals slip and slide a little but it's cool because his guitar is so in tune.

Anyway, my apologies for the lack of clarity.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.