The Wire.....

Si G X

Friend of Leo's
I think the funniest part of this thread is the "if you don't like it don't watch it" BUT making such a comment is EXACTLY what I'm doing! I'm critiquing a supposedly greatest show of all time! You're critiquing my posts!

I'm interested in what TV you do like, I really didn't enjoy The Wire but I don't watch a lot of TV at all and rarely think any of it deserves a lot of praise. So it's not weird that I wouldn't enjoy watching the wire.

Twin Peaks is my greatest show of all time.

.... the last thing I actually got into and watched it it's entirety was probably The Handmaid's Tale, which I thought was great, although I did think that trailed off in later series too.

Toast

Tele-Afflicted
Love when people spend hours arguing that something they haven't seen and won't watch is emblematic of everything they don't like. Hmph!

Stay mad.
I love when people exaggerate offenses in a conservatively moderated forum where it's not possible for a contributor to fully state their perspective on contemporary culture (TV, music, art . . .) When censorship prevails, people have to state their views in unorthodox ways. Hmph!

Stay mad.

buster poser

Poster Extraordinaire
I love when people exaggerate offenses in a conservatively moderated forum where it's not possible for a contributor to fully state their perspective on contemporary culture (TV, music, art . . .) When censorship prevails, people have to state their views in unorthodox ways. Hmph!

Stay mad.
Yeah man I'm mad lol.

June 3 when someone was compelled to post in a thread on The Wire.
I have the entire series on dvd. Couldn’t get through the first episode. Incredibly wooden characters with unrealistic F bombs every other word.

Maybe I should try it again but that half an episode was just painful to watch.

I find it kinda funny (and I find it kinda sad) when people have extremely impassioned opinions about things (art, music, film, The Wire) they have admittedly spent little if any time even trying to consider, beyond the baggage they have obviously brought to the experience.

Have a good weekend!

getbent

Telefied
Gold Supporter
Alright you convinced me, I'm going to try it again. I don't usually care for the Hollywood framing of crime, the military, terrorism, etc., but it is interesting to see what kind of frame they present. I hope it's not another "Damn it, we didn't read this thug his rights! So now he's going to get away with it. Miranda rights are BS! Let us do our jobs!" perspective or some spicy variation of it.
the writers also worked on 'generation kill' and the main creator of the wire was with the baltimore sun for many years as a crime beat reporter. MOST of the things that happen on the show were from actual experiences.

The season where they cover the Baltimore Sun was of interest to me because I KNEW John Carroll (the managing editor at the sun at the time) and the portrayal, while harsh if you were his friend, was fair and from the perspective that the season would have (that of the writers and people of Baltimore.)

I grew up in a military family, my father was a profane man, my stepfather, also a military man, rarely swore, but when he did it was awkward and 'not believable.'

The character of Omar very much was a 'real' person and many of the actors on the show were from that 'hood and from those gangs.

From bunk to jimmy to marlow and so on... well, I think that enough people who have experience both in those settings and in judging literature and film have provided accolades and awards and viewership to not really need to debate the recognized value of the work. That was decided a decade ago.

The fact that someone bought DVD's... that is all I really need to know.

Doctor of Teleocity
Haven’t seen the show, but I worked the last few years in a trades-related capacity, and have since seen the light, that cursing is not only an art form and way of life, but it also adds that certain, salty, magic to the most inhospitable work, to make it more bearable, or give it a glimmer of meaning.

jondanger

Poster Extraordinaire
I think the funniest part of this thread is the "if you don't like it don't watch it" BUT making such a comment is EXACTLY what I'm doing! I'm critiquing a supposedly greatest show of all time! You're critiquing my posts!

You aren’t “critiquing.” Critiquing would require watching enough of the show to develop an informed opinion. You are “criticizing,” which is what people do when they don’t know **** about ****.

Toast

Tele-Afflicted
Yeah man I'm mad lol.

June 3 when someone was compelled to post in a thread on The Wire.

I find it kinda funny (and I find it kinda sad) when people have extremely impassioned opinions about things (art, music, film, The Wire) they have admittedly spent little if any time even trying to consider, beyond the baggage they have obviously brought to the experience.

Have a good weekend!
You have a good weekend too.