The Wire.....

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
It may just not be your thing.

IMO Idris Elba (the Stringer Bell character) is one of the best parts of the show. As his character develops, the show gets better.

If you’re still not into it by episode 3 or 4, I’d move on.

Absolutely love it, need to rewatch all.

We live in No.Va and though we don't 'know' Baltimore, I've played gigs there and also tourist stuff... and you can feel, this is a hard, poor life for many.
Back to the entertainment end of things, we were huge 'Homicide' fans, and now watching HBO, We Own This City- similar to the Wire/ Baltimore cops.and crime.

We may watch these shows, just to be grateful for the life we have, when you see a completely different reality?

tfarny

Poster Extraordinaire
Just because a lot of people like something doesn't mean you have to like it. I never liked Zeppelin, do you care? Didn't think so.

I think the language use in The Wire is quite realistic, maybe you've not heard that style of speaking as much but the series writers spent a whole lot of time on the language. Several of the actors were actually non-actors originally, just people in that neighborhood. I have been there several times, I don't know it well, but Baltimore and all the older East Coast cities each have their own dialects and particularities. Unless you're from there, how can you say it is fake or unrealistic?

Mike Eskimo

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Over-dramatized and not real enough.

In The Wire, people often got shot - for a reason !

Preposterous !

#lifeinthe313

Oxidao

Tele-Holic
Agreed! I used to work with the people from the Office. That is why I probably love it so much.

We had an accounts payable person (Kevin) who paid a 1 cent invoice with a check.

We had a person (Dwight) who was supposed to clean the office after work in the evenings for extra cash. One day he took everything off of my desk and put it in a black trash bag as he had told everyone to clear off their desks so he could clean them.

We had a guy a person (Ryan) who was supposed to be a salesperson. He went on a month of sales calls to large cities staying in a hotel the entire week. The day his truck was repossessed in our parking lot he came forward and said he had taken his girlfriend with him on the sales calls and just laid by the pool all day.

We had a man (Creed) who was a manager who happened to find a blunt on the shop floor. He showed it to me and told me he had found it. I asked what he was going to do? He said, "I am going to light this one up after I get home today."

We had a manager (Michael) who came in one day and brought in a dozen hats which each had a different name on them. "Antagonist", "Negativity", "Yes Man", "Ignorant", and on down the line some of them pretty ugly. The meeting consisted of us each wearing a different hat during the meeting and expressing our concerns with the attitude on the hat.

We had a lady (Andrea) who dated at least six men in the office and ended up marrying one of the ladies in the accounting department.

We had a guy (Packer) who showed up to work drunk, at 8AM.

And last but not least...

We had a guy (Toby) who actually worked in HR also who prepared a proposal to cut down on shop accidents by "dulling the saw blades to ensure that any accidents involving the hands of the employees would not be so costly to the company". I kid you not!
Great Lyrics ^^^

Last edited:

basher

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
We just finished watching We Own This City, which is Simon and Pelicanos’ take on the BPD Gun Trace Task Force scandal. It’s similar to the Wire, but smaller-scale and based on a true story. It’s very well done and absolutely appalling.

Huge +1 on Treme; imho every musician should watch that.

Colo Springs E

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Maybe it's just not for you. I enjoyed it, but I did stop after a season or two, and never picked it back up. Might have to rewatch and go through all the seasons.

I've said on here before, I was slow to warm to Breaking Bad--I hated every single character on the show. But I gave it a few tries and fell in love with it, and it is absolutely in my top 5 ever.

Different strokes. Several of my friends like this one Canadian "comedy" that I think is one of the dumbest, most irritating shows I've ever seen. Can't recall the name, but it has this one mumbling idiot who always has his thumbs in his jeans belt loops. Just a stupid, bad TV show (my opinion).

We like what we like, we don't what we don't!

Texicaster

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
As much as the op might hate cursing, there is a real genius to enacting a scene using only the 'F' word and its variants..

But hey, if you don't get it, you don't get it.

THIS illustrates my point! I bet Samuel L Jackson thought this scene was lame!

Notice it received over 85,000 view and gets a whopping 600 likes! It's F'ing stupid! :D

Since when does "gritty" realistic become a yard stick for greatness? It's been done a few 1000 times.... Plus it aint realistic as this scene proves. It's a feeble attempt to be clever that may appeal to 12 year olds...or as the likes prove about 7 out of 1000 views like.

I'll bring up The Departed again which is a masterpiece! Same subject matter with same sorta character and copious use of F bombs. I can watch over and over. Because the script is genius and the F bombs, unlike this piece of poop show, are NOT the center piece! The Wire writers are so weak that they actually wrote a scene that has just F bombs and they think it's new or genius that by context or inflection it can have 1000 meanings. So what? Just shows they couldn't come up with a better scene.

Thanks for sharing! If this is the best I just got a 24 pack of range targets!

Again if you're gonna tell me this it THE greatest show ever made you gotta bring it a little bit stronger and it's gritty and uses F bombs.

Flaneur

Poster Extraordinaire
Idris Elba has become a National Treasure, in the intervening years. Seems like he's on the TV, every day.

Dominic West isn't exactly on the bread line, either......

buster poser

Poster Extraordinaire
Love when people spend hours arguing that something they haven't seen and won't watch is emblematic of everything they don't like. Hmph!

Stay mad.

Texicaster

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
Love when people spend hours arguing that something they haven't seen and won't watch is emblematic of everything they don't like. Hmph!

Stay mad.

Love when people are compelled to comment on such threads!

:D

BTW I've invested a few minutes....not hours. :D

Texicaster

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
Idris Elba has become a National Treasure, in the intervening years. Seems like he's on the TV, every day.

Dominic West isn't exactly on the bread line, either......

I agree!

Everything else I've seen him in is brilliant! In fact when I discovered he was in it I gave it another shot but......

Texicaster

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
I think the funniest part of this thread is the "if you don't like it don't watch it" BUT making such a comment is EXACTLY what I'm doing! I'm critiquing a supposedly greatest show of all time! You're critiquing my posts!

Toast

Tele-Afflicted
Alright you convinced me, I'm going to try it again. I don't usually care for the Hollywood framing of crime, the military, terrorism, etc., but it is interesting to see what kind of frame they present. I hope it's not another "Damn it, we didn't read this thug his rights! So now he's going to get away with it. Miranda rights are BS! Let us do our jobs!" perspective or some spicy variation of it.